Bicycle riders

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Pics posted by 2 buddies on the trail this morning - while I was working at 2 different properties! :rolleyes:

Oh well.....fall is coming and with it some nicer cooler weather and hopefully more time for me away from work....

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
There seems to be more cyclists on the bike trails and most of them do not know trail etiquette. None of them announce themselves (On your left!) as they come barreling up behind you. When riding together they ride side by side in the middle where you have no idea how to get around them. They do not seem to know what “On your left” means. There are also people bringing their small children on these trails. Some have just learned to walk, some have just learned or are learning how to ride a bike. These people are causing accidents. I have narrowly avoided accidents avoiding these dumb parents and their kids.

Edit: these idiots that don't know how to pass actually made me type right instead of left. I cannot believe I typed that.

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
There seems to be more cyclists on the bike trails and most of them do not know trail etiquette. None of them announce themselves (On your right!) as they come barreling up behind you. When riding together they ride side by side in the middle where you have no idea how to get around them. They do not seem to know what “On your right” means. There are also people bringing their small children on these trails. Some have just learned to walk, some have just learned or are learning how to ride a bike. These people are causing accidents. I have narrowly avoided accidents avoiding these dumb parents and their kids.
The kids don't really bother me because they are just being kids and I account for that. But I agree about those coming up from behind although it should be 'on the left' or ring a bell.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
There seems to be more cyclists on the bike trails and most of them do not know trail etiquette. None of them announce themselves (On your right!) as they come barreling up behind you. When riding together they ride side by side in the middle where you have no idea how to get around them. They do not seem to know what “On your right” means. There are also people bringing their small children on these trails. Some have just learned to walk, some have just learned or are learning how to ride a bike. These people are causing accidents. I have narrowly avoided accidents avoiding these dumb parents and their kids.
The kids don't really bother me because they are just being kids and I account for that. But I agree about those coming up from behind although it should be 'on the left' or ring a bell.
You just have to find somewhere where no one else goes.

Or pick times when there's very few others on the trails.

It's unfortunate, but our culture has devolved so that etiquette is a low rung on the ladder....

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
You just have to find somewhere where no one else goes.

Or pick times when there's very few others on the trails.

It's unfortunate, but our culture has devolved so that etiquette is a low rung on the ladder....
There aren't too many bike trails around here that aren't overly crowded unless I drive far out and people have been getting mugged in those areas.

The best times to avoid kids and a lot of people are very early in the morning.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
There seems to be more cyclists on the bike trails and most of them do not know trail etiquette. None of them announce themselves (On your left!) as they come barreling up behind you. When riding together they ride side by side in the middle where you have no idea how to get around them. They do not seem to know what “On your left” means. There are also people bringing their small children on these trails. Some have just learned to walk, some have just learned or are learning how to ride a bike. These people are causing accidents. I have narrowly avoided accidents avoiding these dumb parents and their kids.

Edit: these idiots that don't know how to pass actually made me type right instead of left. I cannot believe I typed that.
We take our kids on the trails at Oak Mountain almost every weekend. First thing we did was teach them trail etiquette. We also always tell them to stop and move over if we see others coming towards us or hear people behind us. The people at Oak Mountain are usually nice and they know the "rules".

ETA: My kids are actually pretty good mountain bikers now. But, they still aren't as fast on the trails as adults are. This is why we have them move over when we see riders moving fast behind or in front of us.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
We take our kids on the trails at Oak Mountain almost every weekend. First thing we did was teach them trail etiquette. We also always tell them to stop and move over if we see others coming towards us or hear people behind us. The people at Oak Mountain are usually nice and they know the "rules".

ETA: My kids are actually pretty good mountain bikers now. But, they still aren't as fast on the trails as adults are. This is why we have them move over when we see riders moving fast behind or in front of us.
I don't mind kids. My problem is people are bringing kids that just learned to walk. This is not an appropriate place for kids this small.

SavanaBama

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 25, 2000
Huntsville, AL
I purchased a Pedego a few years back and definitely will never go back! My father-in-law first told me about them. He purchased one for my brother-in-law when he, unfortunately, made a series of choices that led to no driver license for a few years. :rolleyes: I love, love, love being able to climb any hill or overcome any wind with the flick of a button. It really did bring back fun for me!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I purchased a Pedego a few years back and definitely will never go back! My father-in-law first told me about them. He purchased one for my brother-in-law when he, unfortunately, made a series of choices that led to no driver license for a few years. :rolleyes: I love, love, love being able to climb any hill or overcome any wind with the flick of a button. It really did bring back fun for me!
That's interesting....I never thought of getting an electric bike. The part about wind makes a lot of sense - we don't have too many hills around here though. Also as an alternative transportation mode one step above a conventional bicycle has me thinking. The barrier island here gets jammed with traffic at certain times of the year and day and using one of those would allow much easier transport.

I was just looking at this one sold via Amazon and it has very good reviews and looks like it would be very practical:

ECOTRIC Fat Tire Electric Bike Beach Snow Bicycle

I will keep this in mind for potential use in the future. Right now my gravel bike is serving my purposes very well. Thanks!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The fad of cycling has thankfully just about run it's course in our area. We don't have nearly as many on the road anymore.
they are all either doing crossfit, or they have switched to "gravel bikes"

The Death of Road Riding

lucky for me, they have opened two new mountain bike trails within 10 minutes of me and are working on more southside in-town trails. i pulled my old mountain bike out of mothballs over christmas and got it riding again.

The ATL Gateway Trails

The ATL Gateway Trails.
Imagine flying into the world’s busiest airport and within minutes hiking, jogging or biking your way on trails surrounded by old growth oak, large rock formations and small streams, all without ever getting in a car. That’s the vision of MTB Atlanta’s Ride and Fly MTB Experience. Now imagine those same trails interconnected within two miles of nineteen different area schools and three bustling downtowns. Are you now starting to get a pretty fantastic picture in your head? We know we are.

The Ride and Fly MTB Experience (RFME) is the brainchild of MTB Atlanta. The RFME could become one of the most extensive Urban MTB Trail System in the country and serve as a blueprint for a network of similar trail systems throughout the entire Metro Atlanta region. Utilizing the natural rugged and woody terrain of the Piedmont region the RFME trails will use local city and county pocket parks that have been too hilly to be used for traditional park amenities, to create a network of interconnecting low impact, highly sustainable trails. Each pocket park, an oasis from the hustle and bustle of the rapidly growing ITP (“Inside the Perimeter for all you outsiders) was selected for the initial phase will include approximately 4 miles of trails – each – varying in difficulty, and each containing a pump track and skills area. No matter which trailhead you start from, the local community will be provided with all the resources for the young and inexperienced, all the way up to the most advanced rider. The Ride and Fly MTB Experience will become a destination facility, attracting people from all over Metro Atlanta, while also attracting business and ecotourism to the area.

Planned Features Include:

17+ miles of off-road trails
1 – 7 Acre Bike Park
4 Additional Pump Tracks
3 Additional Skills Areas
19 Schools accessible within 2 miles of trailheads
Endless miles of Paved Trails in the works to connect it all together.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
they are all either doing crossfit, or they have switched to "gravel bikes"

The Death of Road Riding

lucky for me, they have opened two new mountain bike trails within 10 minutes of me and are working on more southside in-town trails. i pulled my old mountain bike out of mothballs over christmas and got it riding again.

The ATL Gateway Trails

Cross-fit hit its peak around here several, several years ago. Too many people started having injuries from not using proper form when doing the high intensity routines. Road cycling benefited from this, but now I'm sure they've moved onto something else. Which is completely fine with me. I'm all for people staying active, trying to be healthy. But the road cycling thing simply became a major problem around here. Our city doesn't have the infrastructure nor the money to support it.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Cross-fit hit its peak around here several, several years ago. Too many people started having injuries from not using proper form when doing the high intensity routines. Road cycling benefited from this, but now I'm sure they've moved onto something else. Which is completely fine with me. I'm all for people staying active, trying to be healthy. But the road cycling thing simply became a major problem around here. Our city doesn't have the infrastructure nor the money to support it.
it's (x-fit) hitting it's peak with moms here (and has been for a while) and the crossfit kids is a big thing too. there are several "totally not crossfit but the exact same thing" gyms around here that seem to be catering to the folks that want to work out harder than moms ;).

i tried to point out to my wife that there is a lot of yard work we can do that is pretty much the same as cross fit and we don't have to pay someone to tell us how to do it ;). she did not see the humor in that.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I did crossfit for a few years, then got out of it. Laziness in my part, not a problem with the program.

If you don't do stupid stuff, it has a lot of advantages. Scalable to the fitness level in terms of both repetitions and weight. Very low requirements for equipment, so it translates easily out of the gym and into the home. Can rotate out dozens of exercises. I like it. Just need to get my lazy soft carcass out of the chair and back to it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.