Bicycle riders

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My car broke down on Friday (I think it is a fuse). Everyone of my coworkers suggested I bike to work. There was just one problem, my helmet was in my car. I refuse to ride without a helmet (wearing one saved my life 2 years ago). I just walked to my broken down car and retrieved the helmet so I can meet my mechanic at my car first thing Monday morning.

I had my annual physical Friday (my car is still in the doctor's office lot). I need to drop some weight and plan on starting back to biking everyday I can.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yes, it's a neat bike, particularly for a dead flat area like where you live. And, yes, lubricate freely, if not cover with Cosmolene... :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
apologize for the picture orientation. but this was from yesterday morning's ride at southside park, atlanta. the last few weeks have been perfect fall riding weather. they are starting on a new 2.5 mile single track section which will take the total trail miles there to about 8.

View attachment 5022

IMG_1418.jpg

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Back when my BIL was the director at KSFC, they lived near the highest point on Merritt Island - 35'... :)

That is pretty lofty for these parts!

We had family friends in Merritt Island when my parents lived in Oak Hill and visited them a few times. Have lost touch with them now but always thought that was a nice little community down there.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
from our work day on the new 2.5 mile trail section at southside park last saturday. a couple of us rode the 1 ish mile of trail that has been roughed out and includes about 5-6 rock features like this. i was able to ride this one down, but not up yet.

and here are a couple of the sections as they were initially being laid out a couple of weeks ago

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Yesterday I installed new mirrors on my 2 bikes that I use for the beach and cruising the neighborhood.

I will be getting a mirror that mounts on my glasses and/or helmet as well for use with my road bike, but for the purpose of these two bikes this mirror style should suffice.

It's available from Amazon and is easy to install and a great design, IMHO.

Also upgraded the seat on my beach cruiser.....;)

Reactions: DzynKingRTR

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Today is a beautiful day for riding. A bit cold but that is why they make hoodies. Unfortunately I cannot ride because I am still recovering from my last bike ride. A strained shoulder sucks. I have been told I will not fully recover until March.

Thanks Bazza I may get myself some mirrors as well.

Reactions: Bazza and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Today is a beautiful day for riding. A bit cold but that is why they make hoodies. Unfortunately I cannot ride because I am still recovering from my last bike ride. A strained shoulder sucks. I have been told I will not fully recover until March.

sucks that it's going to take that long. i'm about to head out to ride to the southwest beltline and ride it over to westview/lionel hampton area.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

March will be here before you know it, Design. By then the weather will likely also improve, although I agree this cooler weather shouldn't disrupt anyone's cycling endeavours. The wind is what bugs me even more than temperature, anyway!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
more rock features going in at the new southside park trail (atl). i have ridden most of the new loop in rough draft form and it is going to be awesome. each direction has a long, fast, winding down hill (and the associated nasty climb out) and there are two technical rock garden sections that have several features similar to this. when this is opened in mid-feb, there will be around 8-9 miles of uninterrupted, high quality single track with-in the city limits of atlanta. as a bonus, it is around 10 mins from my house and my office, so i have been able to get a lot of quality riding time in this last year.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wonder where the rocks came from. Folks from this area will be familiar with the Hampton Cove Trent Jones golf course and its beautiful fake waterfall at the entrance. Years ago, a subdivision just below the top of Monte Sano started sliding downhill. It was found that it was built on tailings from long-abandoned coal mines, with entrances on the west side of the mountain. One stabilizing force had been the large boulders, which now rest around and enhance the looks of the golf course. The developer had plucked them out for that purpose. The city pulled out all stops to stabilize the soil, not least because the then mayor's house was at risk. Unintended consequences... :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Wonder where the rocks came from. Folks from this area will be familiar with the Hampton Cove Trent Jones golf course and its beautiful fake waterfall at the entrance. Years ago, a subdivision just below the top of Monte Sano started sliding downhill. It was found that it was built on tailings from long-abandoned coal mines, with entrances on the west side of the mountain. One stabilizing force had been the large boulders, which now rest around and enhance the looks of the golf course. The developer had plucked them out for that purpose. The city pulled out all stops to stabilize the soil, not least because the then mayor's house was at risk. Unintended consequences... :)
the rocks are all from on-site. this is an extremely rocky area in places, not sure if that is from the nearby land getting cleared long ago and all the rocks being dumped in one area or if it is just that rocky. this area has historically been heavy industrial, sits right next to i-285 and close to i-675 and lots of land fills so they may have dumped rubble in certain places. it certainly makes for nice bike features. some sections of the trails are reminiscent of the trails at monte santo.

there are pockets all through metro atlanta with large boulders/rocks.

this is in the boat rock area, just sw of the westside 285/20 interchange. about 8-10 crow fly miles from the bike trails.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.