Bicycle riders

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
finding another use for my 25 year old mtb that didn't involve replacing the entire drivetrain.

similar to paddling c-1, it's like dabbling in the occult ;)
LOL! Once, I ran Town Creek near here at 2500 cfs, rather like being flushed. My buddy who called me to sign me up had called a C-1 boater with the Birmingham Canoe Club to meet us. I told him he was crazy; the water was too much for a single blade. Anyway, he ran with us. Below the blockage - at that level not a blockage but a humongous Grand Canyon-sized hole - I tumped on a roller which went all the way across the river. When I rolled up, I had been surfed upside down almost into the trees on river right - the river was far up into the trees. Right below that, to calm myself, I ran off into a dead end slough to get my nerves settled. I turned around and the C-1 boater had followed me in. I started to swear at him, telling him he'd never be able to dig out of there against the current with one blade. However, he fooled me and made it. It's hard, but they do a lot with those boats... :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
LOL! Once, I ran Town Creek near here at 2500 cfs, rather like being flushed. My buddy who called me to sign me up had called a C-1 boater with the Birmingham Canoe Club to meet us. I told him he was crazy; the water was too much for a single blade. Anyway, he ran with us. Below the blockage - at that level not a blockage but a humongous Grand Canyon-sized hole - I tumped on a roller which went all the way across the river. When I rolled up, I had been surfed upside down almost into the trees on river right - the river was far up into the trees. Right below that, to calm myself, I ran off into a dead end slough to get my nerves settled. I turned around and the C-1 boater had followed me in. I started to swear at him, telling him he'd never be able to dig out of there against the current with one blade. However, he fooled me and made it. It's hard, but they do a lot with those boats... :)
the guys that are good at that are freakishly strong and you can get a ton of power behind a single blade, the trick is controlling it ;). i lived in the wdc area for a year and a half and paddled a lot on the great falls and the gorge below and would see davy hearn and several of the other u.s. team guys out and about and it was nuts what they could do in those boats.

for most of my boating career we usually had at least one c-1 dude hanging around. they would sort of float in and out like drifters ;)

i gave c-1 a go for a couple of years after back surgery. it was a lot of fun, but i eventually gave it up as the learning curve was steep and i got tired of getting the crap kicked out of me on the ocoee and buying beer after swimming (you swim, you buy the beer was our standing rule). that river is shallow enough already, and sitting on your knees ( sat a good 5-6 inches taller than a standard kayak seat) you are often dragging on the rocks if you go upside down.

i was technically the regional/national mystery move (squirt boat) champion for c-1 in 2004. I "competed" in the mystery move nationals and was the only knee boater, sort of a people's national championship moment.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: Go Bama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
the guys that are good at that are freakishly strong and you can get a ton of power behind a single blade, the trick is controlling it ;). i lived in the wdc area for a year and a half and paddled a lot on the great falls and the gorge below and would see davy hearn and several of the other u.s. team guys out and about and it was nuts what they could do in those boats.

for most of my boating career we usually had at least one c-1 dude hanging around. they would sort of float in and out like drifters ;)

i gave c-1 a go for a couple of years after back surgery. it was a lot of fun, but i eventually gave it up as the learning curve was steep and i got tired of getting the crap kicked out of me on the ocoee and buying beer after swimming (you swim, you buy the beer was our standing rule). that river is shallow enough already, and sitting on your knees ( sat a good 5-6 inches taller than a standard kayak seat) you are often dragging on the rocks if you go upside down.

i was technically the regional/national mystery move (squirt boat) champion for c-1 in 2004. I "competed" in the mystery move nationals and was the only knee boater, sort of a people's national championship moment.
I agree about the strength and leverage. I had respect for the ones who could roll them. I had even more for the guys who could roll open boats... :)

Reactions: 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I had one of the best rolls around in a yak when I quit after being injured. I doubt I could roll a C-1, TBF...
it's tricky to learn the set up, but once you get that, it's pretty straight forward. doing it under duress is tough though because you are more exposed than in k1. i took quite a few knocks to the head, shoulders and face and i always wore elbow pads in white water

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
it's tricky to learn the set up, but once you get that, it's pretty straight forward. doing it under duress is tough though because you are more exposed than in k1. i took quite a few knocks to the head, shoulders and face and i always wore elbow pads in white water
My yak roll is left-handed and it's really a quick pry without a setup. My offside roll is conventional. When I ran Lava Falls in the GC, the wide roller about a third of the way down got me. If it breaks on you, you're going over. Having seen the way the entire river hits the big basalt block at the bottom and diverts left, I thought to myself "OK, I'll just ride it out and roll at the bottom. Then my helmet hit a rock. I had second thoughts about riding it out upside down and rolled up. I was against the right bank, thanks to the roller and the big block was looming. Upside down was a bad plan. There was a slot on the right about 3' wide. I aimed for it and turned my paddle lengthwise, Middle Crack-style and slipped through. Everyone had panicked and they were running down the bank to help me. Afterwards, I found out that slot is not normally there. We were getting 25K gps instead of the normal release of half that...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Got my bike repaired. I needed new brakes and tires. It had been riding a little clunky when switching gears, so I had them give it a tune-up. Found out the rear Shimano was bent. They replaced that as well. It cost me $183 total. I practically have a new bike.

Reactions: 92tide and TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Got my bike repaired. I needed new brakes and tires. It had been riding a little clunky when switching gears, so I had them give it a tune-up. Found out the rear Shimano was bent. They replaced that as well. It cost me $183 total. I practically have a new bike.
It's really your rear "derailleur." Shimano is just the manufacturer. Mine is a Campagnolo, for example... :)

• Thank You
Reactions: DzynKingRTR

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
last weekend we went up an rode the proctor creek greenway. it's about 3.5 miles long point to point and goes through the area where the bellwood quarry park will be (looks like they are getting closer to opening it).

it was a nice, easy ride. the southern terminus of the trail is about 3/4 mile from the current trailhead for the westside beltline and i am working on finding a good route to connect the two.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...837a4c9ab08884!8m2!3d33.7925822!4d-84.4518972

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I bought my daughter a bicycle this weekend. We’ve had the discussion with her that I don’t want her in gymnastics now. It’s tough because she is good and that’s where her best friends are. They are already working out, but IMO it’s a mistake.

She’s really taken to the bike. We live in a hilly area and she likes not having to walk the bike up hill. I rode it around the block one time and now I’m wanting one. I’ll wait a little while to see if it passes, but the urge is pretty strong.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I bought my daughter a bicycle this weekend. We’ve had the discussion with her that I don’t want her in gymnastics now. It’s tough because she is good and that’s where her best friends are. They are already working out, but IMO it’s a mistake.

She’s really taken to the bike. We live in a hilly area and she likes not having to walk the bike up hill. I rode it around the block one time and now I’m wanting one. I’ll wait a little while to see if it passes, but the urge is pretty strong.
did you have any trouble finding a bike for your daughter? kid's bikes have been hard to get around here for a while.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Yes. We bought the bicycle at Dick’s. (Could they have come up with any other names?) It’s an adult bike but it was the only decent adult bike they had.

Academy sports had a huge bike rack and only three bikes.

• Thank You

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.