Bicycle riders

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN

I think riding bikes is fun and great exercise. At one time in my youth getting a Schwinn
10 speed was the greatest gift possible. It allowed me transportation to and from wherever I wanted to go within a 10 mile or so radius of my house. It was freedom for a 12 year old.
I still like to ride, my wife and I both like to ride around the roads around our home. That
being said, something has got to give about the Tour de France wannabes riding
all over my area roads. Not all, but a large portion ride right in the middle
of the road knowing faster cars going the posted speed limit would like to get
by, yet they refuse to move over. I know bikes legally have the same rights as
other vehicles, but at some point common sense and the common good have to be
considered.
99% of the bicycle riders are riding for pleasure or exercise. In my state (Tennessee),
they pay no tag fee and require no license, yet they have the right of way and
full lane use on most roads. My point is bicycles make up less than 1% of all
traffic and all other vehicles are inconvenienced by their slow speed and in
many cases refusal to move over to allow passing, and also pay no driver’s
license fee or tag fee. Why is less than 1% of all traffic, that pays nothing
toward road taxes, and main purpose for being on the roads only exercise given
priority over the 99% traveling to work, shop, or making deliveries?

If you want to ride your bike, that’s great, please show some decency and manners by at
least making a token effort to move to the right and allow faster moving
vehicles to pass. And maybe it’s time for states to require some type of fees
like motorized vehicles pay.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He’s gotta point. Cities have bike paths. Country roads do not. It’s dangerous for everyone. We’ve seen an increase in cycle related accidents

Reactions: seebell

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Part of the problem is people not paying attention to the road and looking at their damn phones or talking on their phones.
Around here is the curves with 45 mph signs but people are going 55-60. They come up on stopped traffic quite fast. You aren’t expecting 15mph on a country road

Reactions: seebell

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
When I ride, it is early morning (like 6:00 a.m.) and I normally use less-traveled roads and I always get to the side because I know that cars can go faster than I can on my bike and a lot of folks are headed to work. To me this is just a matter of courtesy.
Finding a less-travelled road in my part of Virginia is not that hard. Roads laid out before 1900 tend to be laid out for ease on the horse (and, conveniently, the bike rider). They curve a lot and do not go straight up a hill, they wind up a hill.
Roads laid out after 1900 (and especially after 1930) tend to be straighter, are graded (they cut through hills and fill in valleys) and have higher speed limits. These I avoid if possible because cars are driving pretty fast on them.
Dzynking, I don't know how you do it in the Atlanta metro area. I would think it would be dangerous there.

Last edited:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
When riding a bike on a road, hwy, etc you are required to obey traffic laws. No passing on right hand side when you get to a traffic light to get ahead of everyone, stopping for stop signs, etc. LEO's need to enforce them and the problem riders will go away.

Reactions: Relayer

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I have done my share of cycling and there's no doubt that I see many situations where the cyclists do not follow protocol while riding in high traffic routes.

As an avid cyclist it infuriates me.

There are also many cases when I see motorists who use zero common sense when faced with a situation where cyclists are involved and sharing the road is necessary.

So both are not innocent and both are not guilty.

More public education is needed. Until that time comes I have almost completely eliminated my road cycling where traffic is present. Fortunately we have a new cycling route that is completely away from automobile routes built for this purpose here and it is wonderful. I also have the beach here to ride on.

Not everyone has this so try to be good to each other and respect common sense.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The jerks give all cyclist a bad rep. They seem to be growing in numbers. It is like all the jerks are teaching others to be like them. I am a cyclist and I get frustrated when I get behind these idiots. Since my accident I have done nothing but bike trails and I have stayed off the road as much as possible. When I am in my car I always look twice because I am very aware there are cyclist. I almost never would bike on roads where the speed limit was over 35. Mainly because on the roads where the speed limit was 45 people were actually going 60 or more and probably not paying attention to the road. Ironically enough when I got hit the reason I took the route I did was because of less traffic and I was on a bike trail.

So it seems some of you think people that live in a rural area are not allowed to bike?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
So it seems some of you think people that live in a rural area are not allowed to bike?
I live in rural Virginia (thank God!) and I bike when the weather does not suck.
I just choose my route carefully. I look for less-traveled roads, one with higher-speed alternatives (so folks in a hurry will use those roads, not the one I am on), and I choose my cycling times carefully. I try to be off the road by 7:00 am, because people have to commute to work and some of them are looking at their cell phones or applying make-up or whatever. If they hit me, it will dent their cars, but it will do a lot more damage to me, so I choose not to be on the roads after 7:00 am.
Bicycling in the Atlanta metro would scare the heck out of me.
(On the other hand, living the the Atlanta metro area scares me).

Reactions: Con and UAH

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
People on bicycles here act like they are both vehicles and pedestrians - whichever helps them the most. I've almost hit several. The other day one crossed main st at a crosswalk a bit ahead of me with traffic oncoming from both directions and then proceeded to casually weave all over the right hand lane. With this one, I moved into the left lane to pass so I didn't come close to hitting him. They run stop signs, cross crosswalks seemingly without looking, and are generally dangerous. It's a wonder they haven't been killed - to say nothing of the skateboarders. Even the pedestrians don't seem to think looking or crossing at the crosswalk after looking is too important. I try to be very careful to look out for these morons because I don't want to hit them. It's almost like they are challenging someone to do it though.

• Thank You
Reactions: dtgreg and UAH

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
People on bicycles here act like they are both vehicles and pedestrians - whichever helps them the most. I've almost hit several. The other day one crossed main st at a crosswalk a bit ahead of me with traffic oncoming from both directions and then proceeded to casually weave all over the right hand lane. With this one, I moved into the left lane to pass so I didn't come close to hitting him. They run stop signs, cross crosswalks seemingly without looking, and are generally dangerous. It's a wonder they haven't been killed - to say nothing of the skateboarders. Even the pedestrians don't seem to think looking or crossing at the crosswalk after looking is too important. I try to be very careful to look out for these morons because I don't want to hit them. It's almost like they are challenging someone to do it though.
I honestly don't know why some cyclist are like that. It hurts like hell getting hit by a car. When I got hit, I did everything right. I figured people would stop at a red light when I had the green light. I was wrong. The lunatic cyclist just seem to have a death wish.

Reactions: Con

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
In the Old Dominion, localities must ask for permission not to put a bike lane in any urban renovations.
Blacksburg, incredibly, asked for permission not to put in a bike lane (in a college town, mind you, in which parking space is at a premium and the city government has declared they want folks to commute some other way than via car), and got the permission.
Incredible.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
We love to ride bikes, but we mainly do mountain biking and trails. I haven’t really noticed many cyclists on the road in my area.

Montevallo is near us and they are supposed to be completely bike friendly. So, I am interested in how the cyclists like riding there.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
The jerks give all cyclist a bad rep. They seem to be growing in numbers. It is like all the jerks are teaching others to be like them. I am a cyclist and I get frustrated when I get behind these idiots. Since my accident I have done nothing but bike trails and I have stayed off the road as much as possible. When I am in my car I always look twice because I am very aware there are cyclist. I almost never would bike on roads where the speed limit was over 35. Mainly because on the roads where the speed limit was 45 people were actually going 60 or more and probably not paying attention to the road. Ironically enough when I got hit the reason I took the route I did was because of less traffic and I was on a bike trail.

You can bike wherever you like, just move over and let faster moving traffic get by per the law. You are not supposed to ride in the middle of the road going 15mph in a 45mph zone. That is what drives me nuts. Some bike riders think they own the road and cars be damned.

I don't think anyone has a problem with courteous riders.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You can bike wherever you like, just move over and let faster moving traffic get by per the law. You are not supposed to ride in the middle of the road going 15mph in a 45mph zone. That is what drives me nuts. Some bike riders think they own the road and cars be damned.

I don't think anyone has a problem with courteous riders.
I'm speaking as someone who commuted on bike for decades, the last 15 or so on a twisty mountain road, Bankhead Parkway, for those familiar with the area. I always dodged rush hour, leaving after it in the AM and either leaving early or late for lunch. I usually drove in the afternoons. I see more and more bikers out driving at hours and places where I would not choose to ride. However, speaking to exactly where you place your bike on the road is a matter of conditions. Taking Bankhead Parkway as an example, there are places safe to pass and places profoundly unsafe to pass. Where it was unsafe, I always took the middle of the right lane. As soon as it was safe, I would move over and motion drivers by. To ride right next to the right stripe in an unsafe area is a fast way to get killed. That invites careless/ignorant/impatient drivers to try to squeeze by you in an unsafe area. In that situation, the only thing which will give is flesh and blood. Huntsville is more bike friendly than most towns. The mayor even leads an annual evening bike ride and there are rental bikes available throughout most of the central town area. Nevertheless, at every civic association meeting we have here on Monte Sano, it becomes evident that there are a large number of citizens who feel bikes have no right to be on the roads, period. This attitude is a big part of the problem...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.