Super Regionals - (softball)

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
It's difficult to find information on softball recruiting. What I have seen suggests that Auburn,
Tennessee and Florida are having good years. Alabama has a letter of intent I believe from Montana
Fouts a "top 3 in the country" calibre pitcher. Beyond that I've seen Coach Murphy say that they
have commits from "some infielders". Good news is that most of our hitting is back for the next
two years.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
I believe it’s time to put some money into the softball stadium . Have to compete with the new ones.

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
I believe it’s time to put some money into the softball stadium . Have to compete with the new ones.
No doubt but when they do, Tide Pride will go from $50 to $250 or $300 maybe $500. Season ticket holders will drop. They will have to something similar to Sewell Thomas Staduim. At one time, we had the best stadium in the country. A lot of teams have passed us. Time to get back on top. I think we host the Sec tournament in 2020. Better get busy.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Well, we gone boned last night by a bad call at the plate. Instant reply not utilized in softball! But reply showed the call was incorrect. It did have an impact on the game, but I'm not hanging our loss on that bad call. Too easy to use that as an excuse.

It still sucks to not have instant reply in use at this level of the sport.

Here's the play in question for anyone interested:

https://twitter.com/abc/status/https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1002756877124501505

Last edited:

catsbane

Scout Team
Dec 11, 2008
Helena
Bazza I saw this in another forum. Maybe it will clarify the umpire's positioning. I haven't seen anyone who thought the runner was safe. It's too close for my eye though even with slo-mo replays. There is a reason I'm not an ump though.

"<< Yes absolutly the umpire missed the call at home, for anyone questioning why he was up the third base line though that is the proper mechanic per NCAA.

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~umpire/softball/CCA Umpire Manual 2016.pdf

See page 290.

As a retired umpire this is one of the hardest calls to make as the HP umpire has responsibilty for 3rd and home and has to read the throw immediatly and make a move to the correct base. If the umpire had stayed at home and the play went to third the call would be 60 ft away.

this is one of the plays where the three and even 4 umpire system breaks down. The only way to have proper coverage on this play is the 6 umpire system (outfield umpires on foul lines for catches).

Again not trying to say the call was not missed (it was) but an explanation to why the umpire positioning on this play was up the third base line was correct and why this particular play is one of the harest to deal with. >> (soln)"

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Oklahoma eliminates the Gators. The SEC bows out of the tournament with a 1-4 record, and the lone win was against a conference foe. Certainly not one of the best seasons for the conference.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Thanks for the posts, guys. I guess I'm wondering why we aren't using instant replay in softball. Maybe that incident will help initiate a movement for it.

Sorry we didn't rep the conference better....I had a feeling we would have some trouble in the post season.

At least we run-ruled the Dawgs! :)

Here's hoping BOTH our teams get to OKC next season!

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Bazza I saw this in another forum. Maybe it will clarify the umpire's positioning. I haven't seen anyone who thought the runner was safe. It's too close for my eye though even with slo-mo replays. There is a reason I'm not an ump though.

"<< Yes absolutly the umpire missed the call at home, for anyone questioning why he was up the third base line though that is the proper mechanic per NCAA.

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~umpire/softball/CCA Umpire Manual 2016.pdf

See page 290.

As a retired umpire this is one of the hardest calls to make as the HP umpire has responsibilty for 3rd and home and has to read the throw immediatly and make a move to the correct base. If the umpire had stayed at home and the play went to third the call would be 60 ft away.

this is one of the plays where the three and even 4 umpire system breaks down. The only way to have proper coverage on this play is the 6 umpire system (outfield umpires on foul lines for catches).

Again not trying to say the call was not missed (it was) but an explanation to why the umpire positioning on this play was up the third base line was correct and why this particular play is one of the harest to deal with. >> (soln)"
Thanks for taking the time to explain all that to me Catsbane. No disrespect meant - just a little sore from losing. Par for the course, huh?

Much respect to you for taking on such a huge responsibility.

Best regards.....Baz

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Thanks for the posts, guys. I guess I'm wondering why we aren't using instant replay in softball. Maybe that incident will help initiate a movement for it.

Sorry we didn't rep the conference better....I had a feeling we would have some trouble in the post season.

At least we run-ruled the Dawgs! :)

Here's hoping BOTH our teams get to OKC next season!
Hey Bazza, I'm late to the game but you definitely got hosed by that home plate umpire. He definitely missed that call at the plate, but I thought he gave the UCLA pitcher an abnormally wide strike zone, especially over the later innings. He called several players out on balls 8 plus inches off the plate. You can't hit those even if you tried. He was just a terrible umpire and I don't know how he got to the WCWS. I don't think the Gators should have ever been playing Oklahoma today. Krymsonman

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Hey Bazza, I'm late to the game but you definitely got hosed by that home plate umpire. He definitely missed that call at the plate, but I thought he gave the UCLA pitcher an abnormally wide strike zone, especially over the later innings. He called several players out on balls 8 plus inches off the plate. You can't hit those even if you tried. He was just a terrible umpire and I don't know how he got to the WCWS. I don't think the Gators should have ever been playing Oklahoma today. Krymsonman
Thanks, Krymsonman.....we still had a great year and we'll be back. Along with Bama I'm sure. All the best, sir.... :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Going to be Huskies vs. FSU tomorrow night.

FSU looking good today...this is their first time in the finals.

Unlike many other Gators, I only dislike FSU in football (and maybe a little in baseball and basketball too...lol).

First game is tomorrow night on ESPN at 7 eastern.

Should be a great series and one that I bet goes to 3 games.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, I'm pulling for the Huskies. For some reason, I feel better if BAMA was knocked out by the eventual national champion. FSU did look very good yesterday though. And without the UCLA pitcher getting that 8' wide strike zone she got against the Gators, she was much more hittable. Should be a very entertaining championship series.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Well, I'm pulling for the Huskies. For some reason, I feel better if BAMA was knocked out by the eventual national champion. FSU did look very good yesterday though. And without the UCLA pitcher getting that 8' wide strike zone she got against the Gators, she was much more hittable. Should be a very entertaining championship series.
I'll be pulling for the Huskies as well, K-man.

I know Mom will because she grew up in Seattle. ;)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Now that was some elite softball...that last inning was very exciting!

I love the Aussie pitcher for UW and that FSU pitcher (King) was just about perfect tonight.

The play in the 7th by the FSU 3rd baseman who caught the bunt and threw out the base runner on 1st is what sealed it. Rightfully so - it was am amazing play on defense.

Looking forward to game 2......wow,,,,,great series!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.