History shows Auburn is college football’s most unpredictable team

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Auburn had won 10 games in consecutive years one time in history. That's ridiculous. Spurrier won 10+ games 3 years in a row at South Carolina. How is it Auburn has never done it? Or only had 10+ wins in back to back seasons one time. Bizarre.
It's been said that they are typically a 7-5 to 8-4 team on average. When looking at the historical win/loss/tie record it is:
726 416 45

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The three Clemson playoff games really shows what a difference having a generational quarterback makes. Bryant is your typical average college quarterback and they couldn't do a thing on offense against a defense that was definitely not as good as the 2016 unit and probably about equal overall as a unit compared to 2015. Clemson needed more run game to make a QB like Bryant work against Saban's defense but they hadn't been able to find any success with conventional run plays in 3 years against Alabama. Unless they get a steady diet of QBs like Watson, I don't think they're gonna finish the job again without marked improvement on the OL. 2016 Clemson's OL was probably the worst OL of a national champion in my lifetime. I mean Alabama sacked Watson 5 or 6 times in that loss despite the fact he has ridiculous pocket awareness and plus escapability. I'm beginning to think between the Boyd era and what we saw last year with Bryant that Clemson's offensive recruiting approach is too skills and QB focused with an OL approach that hinges on the QB's feet which leads to these big game "chokes" against teams that have enough athletes to match up with them.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The three Clemson playoff games really shows what a difference having a generational quarterback makes. Bryant is your typical average college quarterback and they couldn't do a thing on offense against a defense that was definitely not as good as the 2016 unit and probably about equal overall as a unit compared to 2015. Clemson needed more run game to make a QB like Bryant work against Saban's defense but they hadn't been able to find any success with conventional run plays in 3 years against Alabama. Unless they get a steady diet of QBs like Watson, I don't think they're gonna finish the job again without marked improvement on the OL. 2016 Clemson's OL was probably the worst OL of a national champion in my lifetime. I mean Alabama sacked Watson 5 or 6 times in that loss despite the fact he has ridiculous pocket awareness and plus escapability. I'm beginning to think between the Boyd era and what we saw last year with Bryant that Clemson's offensive recruiting approach is too skills and QB focused with an OL approach that hinges on the QB's feet which leads to these big game "chokes" against teams that have enough athletes to match up with them.
Allegedly they have their next Watson. Guess we will find out soon enough

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I assume he adopts the position of the Village Idiot as entertainment. But yeah, I saw Klatt and Shannon bury him after the UGA win because he could NOT admit Saban is awesome.
Actually, keeping in mind that I do think Bayless is a buffoon(I can't stand to watch him most of the time, except to occasionally get a good laugh at how dumb he is), I think his point was something along the lines of "If Saban is so great, why did it take him so long to realize he had a superior QB sitting on the bench?" I don't disagree with him on that point entirely. I mean, I do think Saban is the GOAT, and rarely gets anything wrong, but I wonder if sitting Tua as long as he did was a wise decision. We did not do well in early recruiting because we looked anemic on offense (or at least that had a bearing on it, I would think). Having Tua in earlier could have helped with that some and would have supported our claim that we play the best player, regardless of seniority (which didn't seem true to me, an average fan with no insight or ability to watch practice).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The Boogs are excited about this year...
This year may be the exception that proves the rule.
Didn't they lose a bunch of the OL to graduation? I admit I don't read much about them anymore. I use to read some threads on ITAT but haven't done so in months.

They ought to be strong at QB and DL with several guys back (IIRC) but I really don't know much otherwise.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
A lot of my Auburn friends have openly admitted how frustrating it is to be a fan of AU football due to its unpredictableness. I love talking about the 2003 USC-AU game, when AU was highly ranked by Sports Illustrated, and USC came into Auburn and shut them out (Matt Leinart's first game as starting QB for USC). My friends now use any preseason praise as a reason to be guarded against AU success during the season.
Still haven’t forgiven Enzminger and Nall for the abortion of an offense that game and season. Three future first rounders in that backfield. Obamanu, Aromashodu, Courtney Taylor and Anthony Mix at receiver. Marcus McNeil and Grubbs on the line. Played way below our talent.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Didn't they lose a bunch of the OL to graduation? I admit I don't read much about them anymore. I use to read some threads on ITAT but haven't done so in months.

They ought to be strong at QB and DL with several guys back (IIRC) but I really don't know much otherwise.
Braden Smith (guard) and Casey Dunn (center) graduated. Left tackle Prince Tega Wanogho, Left guard Marquell Harrell and Right Guard Mike Horton are set. Ongoing competition at Center (Nick Brahms or Kaleb Kim) and Right Tackle (Austin Troxell, Calvin Ashley or GT Jack Driscoll). There’s talent there but it needs to gel in a hurry.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Braden Smith (guard) and Casey Dunn (center) graduated. Left tackle Prince Tega Wanogho, Left guard Marquell Harrell and Right Guard Mike Horton are set. Ongoing competition at Center (Nick Brahms or Kaleb Kim) and Right Tackle (Austin Troxell, Calvin Ashley or GT Jack Driscoll). There’s talent there but it needs to gel in a hurry.
What's the outlook on your secondary?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
What's the outlook on your secondary?
Actually not bad in spite of losing Trigga Tray, Carlton Davis and Stephen Roberts. Safeties will likely be Jeremiah Dinson and Daniel Thomas. Smoke Monday is going to be a hell of a player there. Jamien Sherwood had a good spring and will be the other backup.

Noah Igbinoghene’s move to CB this spring was a stroke of genius. Kid looks like an NFL talent. Don’t be shocked when he starts at boundary corner. Jamel Dean will be the field corner and Javaris Davis will be the nickel/third corner.

So very young in spots, but a loaded front seven is a huge help there.

Last edited:

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Actually not bad in spite of losing Trigga Tray, Carlton Davis and Stephen Roberts. Safeties will likely be Jeremiah Dinson and Daniel Thomas. Smoke Monday is going to be a hell of a player there. Jamien Sherwood had a good spring and will be the other backup.

Noah Igbinoghene’s move to CB this spring was a stroke of genius. Kid looks like an NFL talent. Don’t be shocked when he starts at boundary corner. Jamel Dean will be the field corner and Javaris Davis will be the nickel/third corner.

So very young in spots, but a loaded front seven is a huge help there.
Noah is a stud of an athlete. Always enjoyed seeing him on the track.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.