So does the death of Star Wars start with Solo?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think you can make that clear of a conclusion from Solo. There have clearly been other issues in the making of this movie and Rotten Tomatoes scores seem like they impact box office numbers to some degree (Solo only has a 70% critic score right now).
I think there is some correlation with box office success and initial rankings from RT. But saying that a 70% score is going to prevent the 1 billion mark for a franchise that has pushed 3 straight 1 billion dollar movies when BvS made 800 million at a 27% rating is hard to believe. I think it’s going to sink or swim off the repeat viewings from the moderate fans and that’s going to depend on the quality of the film.

I really think it’s going to be close but it’s probably going to have a tough time with competing with Deadpool 2 at the box office. It really needs that 135 million opening.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
We will see soon. I'm a member of several Star Wars online communities and I'd say that at least 30% of the total fanbase will Boycott Solo based on my interactions.

That's roughly 4.33 Million people who watched TLJ but won't watch Solo. That would amount to a 39 Million dollar Box Office drop.... most of which will affect the opening numbers.

It's trending way down on Rotten Tomatoes with audience interest being only 40%. The original tracking has it opening with $150 Mil over a 4 day Holiday weekend but that has dropped to $120-130 Mil....

What if it opens with $80-90 Million instead based off Boycott estimates? Yeah that's still a lot of money but it would be enough of a disappointment for them to maybe take a second look at their current practices.
I just don’t see the Ghostbusters type boycott that you are projecting. I see maybe a disappointing 115-120 in which Disney might take another look for the future but 90 is on the verge of collapse for a SW movie. I just don’t think the boycotters are capable of that big of a win.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I don't think you can make that clear of a conclusion from Solo. There have clearly been other issues in the making of this movie and Rotten Tomatoes scores seem like they impact box office numbers to some degree (Solo only has a 70% critic score right now).
I don't think we will know until kids growing up on MCU are in their forties posting in threads about Marvel movies coming out in 2053.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I just don’t see the Ghostbusters type boycott that you are projecting. I see maybe a disappointing 115-120 in which Disney might take another look for the future but 90 is on the verge of collapse for a SW movie. I just don’t think the boycotters are capable of that big of a win.
Well Ghostbusters(2016) only opened with $46 Mil and had an entire domestic run of $130 Mil. So no I don't think Solo will flop anywhere that hard just because of the sheer number of casual Star Wars fans.

I'm seeing the 'fanbase' breakdown as Hardcore 30% are not put off enough to boycott, Hardcore 30% are furious and will boycott, 40% are casual popcorn fans who will go see anything that looks remotely entertaining with blinking lights and lasers.

So I think they will still have 70%...maybe 80% of TLJ audience show up.... but 20-30% are staying home and that will deal them a serious box office blow.

If this was a 3 day Box Office I would predict a $90 Mil opening which for Star Wars would be almost catastrophic. But it's a 4 day Box Office so they will probably barely squeeze out $115-120 Mil and try to spin it as a 'Win' even though that would be 35-40 Mil below even Rogue One.

We shall see soon I guess. I'm hoping for a $90 Mil dollar 4 day flop..... but that's very unlikely unfortunately.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think we will know until kids growing up on MCU are in their forties posting in threads about Marvel movies coming out in 2053.
I think you are talking longevity while I’m talking about now in the Disney ownership of both properties. If we talking about toys, collectibles, and merch then SW blows MCU away, but if we are talking about strictly movies I think it’s clear that the Avengers is beating Star Wars if you take away TFA.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I think you are talking longevity while I’m talking about now in the Disney ownership of both properties. If we talking about toys, collectibles, and merch then SW blows MCU away, but if we are talking about strictly movies I think it’s clear that the Avengers is beating Star Wars if you take away TFA.
What I'm talking about encompasses all these things, and you are talking about MCU at what seems to be in top form.

This reminds me of an argument my dad had with my cousin in the 1980s about who was better, the Rolling Stones or Van Halen.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well, I do wear it like a badge of honor. Plus it seems to really bother some people. I am like the Star Wars version of the people that always remind us they don’t watch the NFL. I am just reminding you just in case you forgot.
This is very true. One of my brother in laws and his college age sons are Star Wars junkies. They really geek out on the stuff. My boys are more into the Avengers type stuff. I'm not a Star Wars "fan" but if my boys want to go see one, I'll take them and suffer through it. I get the enjoyment from their enjoyment. A few years ago one of the Star Wars movies came out around the holiday season and my BIL asked if "we" would like to go with him and his boys. My boys are always up for going to a movie if its just to get popcorn and a drink. So we went. I suffered through the movie and as we were leaving the theater my BIL asked me what my favorite part of the movie was. I laughed and said "the credits". He didn't understand what I meant. I repeated "The credits. The end of the movie." The look on his face was one of a kid waking up with no presents on Christmas morning. The guy truly got his feelings hurt and couldn't believe I didn't "like" Star Wars.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This is very true. One of my brother laws and his college age sons are Star Wars junkies. They really geek out on the stuff. My boys are more into the Avengers type stuff. I'm not a Star Wars "fan" but if my boys want to go see one, I'll take them and suffer through it. I get the enjoyment from their enjoyment. A few years ago one of the Star Wars movies came out around the holiday season and my BIL asked if "we" would like to go with him and his boys. My boys are always up for going to a movie if its just to get popcorn and a drink. So we went. I suffered through the movie and as we were leaving the theater my BIL asked me what my favorite part of the movie was. I laughed and said "the credits". He didn't understand what I meant. I repeated "The credits. The end of the movie." The look on his face was one of a kid waking up with no presents on Christmas morning. The guy truly got his feelings hurt and couldn't believe I didn't "like" Star Wars.
It doesn't bother me if you haven't seen them or don't like them most of the time. But, I have a sister who used to work for Industrial Light & Magic(visual effects side of Luca Films) for a couple of years and she has still never seen a Star Wars movie. And that's just absurd and drove me insane when she was working there.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I enjoyed "Rogue One". I think there is a place in the Star Wars universe for filling in these gaps in the main story, provided it's written with some reference to the original, but fresh enough to be entertaining.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It doesn't bother me if you haven't seen them or don't like them most of the time. But, I have a sister who used to work for Industrial Light & Magic(visual effects side of Luca Films) for a couple of years and she has still never seen a Star Wars movie. And that's just absurd and drove me insane when she was working there.
Maybe it's kind of like the person who works in the restaurant where everyone loves to eat. Something about working there that turns you off from it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I enjoyed "Rogue One". I think there is a place in the Star Wars universe for filling in these gaps in the main story, provided it's written with some reference to the original, but fresh enough to be entertaining.
I didnt love Rogue One but do agree that there is a place for original star wars movies. The Clone Wars TV show had a few fantastic Arc's that could be explored in film or they could just build from that Universe and do some great stuff.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I didnt love Rogue One but do agree that there is a place for original star wars movies. The Clone Wars TV show had a few fantastic Arc's that could be explored in film or they could just build from that Universe and do some great stuff.
I agree, RO didn't have the Force in it and did well, but if they feel the need for Jedi and such they can always fill in Anakin's time during the Clone Wars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I agree, RO didn't have the Force in it and did well, but if they feel the need for Jedi and such they can always fill in Anakin's time during the Clone Wars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
honestly i am torn between thinking the Ahsoka/Anakin Arc from season 5 should be made into a live action film and thinking that it is already perfect and should be left alone.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
honestly i am torn between thinking the Ahsoka/Anakin Arc from season 5 should be made into a live action film and thinking that it is already perfect and should be left alone.
They really should do a post Episode III Obi-Wan movie since Ewan McGregor is down for it.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I'm just waiting for the movie on how they designed the Death Star with an exhaust port of doom, and then the sequel, in which they forgo the exhaust port in favor of a larger channel big enough for the Millenium Falcon. Perhaps they could be called Derp Star, Parts 1 and 2?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.