New National Anthem Policy in the NFL

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I will say this (file under FWIW).......there's not many things I despise more than police brutality.

I already have an aversion to authority.

When I see law enforcement acting like thugs - it really ticks me off.

And that's using polite language.

I don't care what race either party is....there's just TOO much of it happening...period.

I also have an opinion that to some degree when you start interjecting race - things get polarized and the thrust of the situation gets lost a bit.

I'm all for law enforcement but the irony is nowadays just because someone is wearing a badge doesn't mean they can be trusted.

I made a comment once that the criminal justice system was a mess. An attorney replied back and said that's just because I didn't understand it. I've never been able to accept his response as justification for the atrocities I see every day in our country.

Sad and infuriating at the same time.
Agreed on police brutality and criminal justice being a mess.

But about injecting race...

This is an excuse, plain and simple. It's a diversionary tactic whether you are doing it intentionally or falling for it - and I mean no offense in saying it.

Because it was about race from the beginning. No one had to inject race into the matter.

Does police brutality exist independent of race? Absolutely.

Does police brutality tied to race exist in both present day and long-time historical contexts? You bet your hiney it does and has.

So no one had to inject race.

But too many would prefer to ignore race.

And when you ignore race and when you ignore the historical context and how it ties to the present day then it is you (the royal ubiquitous you) that is part of the problem, if I may be so bold.

We don't want to face our racist past, much less our racist present.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
We don't want to face our racist past, much less our racist present.
It's not my place to face a racist past that I do not have, nor is it my place to answer for nonsense other people who share my skin color have done. I control me, and I have no control over anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Explain how I'm whistling pass the graveyard. Give me a solid, logical explanation why I should be held responsible for the actions of other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ll take a stab. I don’t think anyone is saying that you, personally, are responsible. However it does seem that you are also unwilling to recognize that there are artifacts in society that exist as a result of the things that people who share your skin color have done in the past. Or at least that there exists a different set of circumstances when growing up with brown skin. I’ll concede much of it is socioeconomic, but much of that socioeconomic condition is also a result of policies put in place by people who share your skin color.

Is it your responsibility that those policies exist? No. Is it your responsibility to recognize their consequences? Again, no. However, until you do, I doubt you will ever be able to see eye to eye with anyone who has chosen to recognize the circumstances of modern day America.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I honestly don't understand why this is so important to non NFL fans. I see and hear people that only watch the Super Bowl at the most for their NFL watching a year that have such strong views on this issue... Both sides but I think the more obnoxious are the trumper crowd.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.