New National Anthem Policy in the NFL

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Define "tangible". Is it something written or can it be an "unwritten rule" or predominant attitude - even if on a local level? Can it be the well documented intentions of a law? Can it be selective enforcement? Can it be creating laws with a certain intent, selectively enforcing those laws, then pointing to the need to more intensely selectively enforce in high crime neighborhoods?

Truth be told, I think we have a police brutality problem in this country, period; but there is an intersection with racism.
I truly believe that this problem has always been present. It is just that, with the advent of cell phones and the web, we are seeing more documentation. You can't alibi away much of this. Nothing justifies kicking a prone suspect in the head.

I do agree with looking at the circumstance as a whole, and what precipitated the escalation of violence, but many times the adrenaline and anger kicks in, and, voila, you have another incident on your hands.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
You will never stomp out racism. Never. Ever. You want to know why? There will always be someone who thinks getting pulled over by a white cop is racist, regardless of what they were doing. There will always be a white person who thinks that getting poor service from a POC at a bar or restaurant is racist. You can't deny racism and be believed any more than you can deny sexual harassment and be believed because somebody is always available and ready to believe the "victims."
Interesting examples.

Of course, reducing instances of genuine racism will also reduce the incidence of the sort of occurrences you describe.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I have no clue how you got that from what I said. No clue whatsoever. I'm actually dumbfounded at the idea.

Can you think of any instances of institutional racism in America's past?
You believe in institutional racism, said so yourself. The protest is to end police brutality to minorities. So, do you become a racist when you join the police force, or do you have to be a racist to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Interesting examples.

Of course, reducing instances of genuine racism will also reduce the incidence of the sort of occurrences you describe.
Didn't get the promotion because of affirmative action, didn't get the promotion because the man is keeping me down, etc. The thing I've learned about most racists, regardless of color, is that color is always to blame.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Our president endorses police brutality:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sing-police-brutality/?utm_term=.4b09d57c024d

“When you guys put somebody in the car and you’re protecting their head, you know, the way you put their hand over?” Trump said, miming the physical motion of an officer shielding a suspect’s head to keep it from bumping against the squad car.“Like, don’t hit their head, and they just killed somebody — don’t hit their head,” Trump continued. “I said, you can take the hand away, okay?”
Trump’s remarks came after he spoke about local towns ravaged by gang violence.
And from that quote and how it came about we can surmise racism as well, though I know some will dispute that.

When the President of the United States of America directly tells police dealing with gangs ( black and Mexican is the subtext here - he was directly speaking about MS-13) to not be "too nice" - is that at a level sufficient to merit a response?

What about when he supports the actions of men like Arpaio and Clarke? (I do realize Clarke is black - he also reportedly denied water to a man for seven days leading to the man's death and Arpaio brags about how he mistreats prisoners)

Or, when the most benevolent thing you can say is he was just "joking" - as the head law enforcement officer in the entire country - about police brutality - is that a problem? Especially considering the race of those he was encouraging to be roughed up?

"The optics look bad" phrase has been mentioned a few times here in NS lately. That's an understatement.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I don't care what people do about standing or sitting or whatever. I am more interested in why in the world the NFL is a non profit. That is insane. Other than that I think everyone has the right to do what they wish as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. Now with that being said, I can tell you that the football field is the workplace and you aren't supposed to do things your employer forbids, you should bargain it out and compromise. I think staying in the locker room is the compromise.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I don't care what people do about standing or sitting or whatever. I am more interested in why in the world the NFL is a non profit. That is insane. Other than that I think everyone has the right to do what they wish as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. Now with that being said, I can tell you that the football field is the workplace and you aren't supposed to do things your employer forbids, you should bargain it out and compromise. I think staying in the locker room is the compromise.
I believe that when an employer chooses to make overt political statements in the pursuit of its own self interest it essentially gives up the right to regulate its employees to make similar statements during what would be construed as non work time.

I have not previously been a fan of applying the NLRA to professional sports but when an employer begins to act in a totally unilateral manner against an established collective bargaining arrangement then it seems to me to merit a court challenge.

I believe ultimately the NFL will be forced to negotiate with the players association for the right to regulate the conduct of players during pre-game activities.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I believe that when an employer chooses to make overt political statements in the pursuit of its own self interest it essentially gives up the right to regulate its employees to make similar statements during what would be construed as non work time.

I have not previously been a fan of applying the NLRA to professional sports but when an employer begins to act in a totally unilateral manner against an established collective bargaining arrangement then it seems to me to merit a court challenge.

I believe ultimately the NFL will be forced to negotiate with the players association for the right to regulate the conduct of players during pre-game activities.
If a football player isn't on the clock while on the football field when is he?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
You believe in institutional racism, said so yourself. The protest is to end police brutality to minorities. So, do you become a racist when you join the police force, or do you have to be a racist to begin with?

Are you trolling or do you not know that for something to be considered institutional doesn't mean that every single person in that institution is involved?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm just curious as to how many of you are allowed to protest at work while you're getting paid?
Let's not pretend that being an athlete has a whole lot in common with most other jobs. I mean, my work doesn't make me stand (or stay in my office) while they play the national anthem either(granted I do work for a Canadian company :biggrin2:). I would also be willing to bet they wouldn't have a problem with me taking a knee at any point throughout the day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.