New National Anthem Policy in the NFL

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I just don't think politics should enter into a business decision - at least not pressure from the goob of a president we have and that's not to mention that very few thought he would win in the first place.
Here is where someone more in the loop with the facts of multimedia should weigh in. I don't know whether Trump affected the 10% drop off of viewership of the NFL more than people starting to stream over buying cable. But I think that there is some effect of that drop off coming from Trumpers boycotting, and that affected the owner's decision.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
#1 - Of course it's about a bottom line.
#2 - "players demonstrating and taking real action to improve (America)" lol.
#3 - Right to peaceful protest doesn't extend to what you do while in the employ of a private company. The insinuation that human rights are being trampled on is false.

Look, we are all just gonna talk past one another again. I'd personally be in favor of giving the anthem the old "heave-ho" at sporting events. Most of the players kneeling are morons, as are most of the "patriots" giving themselves rage induced aneurysms. The kneeling doesn't affect actual change and standing for the anthem doesn't actually exhibit patriotism.

So let's just watch football and let people do what they want on their own time?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The NFL should've of either said "Kap and any other player is free to exercise their right for free speech", "No this is a business not a platform.", or come to the compromise he have now when it first started. Where this thing turned toxic is where Jones and a few other owners started their revolt against Goodell, and Trump gave his $.02 on the issue. Had Goodell and the NFL came up with a plan long ago instead of passively taking a stance then we wouldn't be here with this issue. But this is what you can expect from an overpaid Buffoon like Goodell. Look at how he handled Ray Rice and domestic violence, Bountygate, deflate gate, and the list goes on.
Yep. This could have easily been taken care of a long time ago and wouldn't been as much as a blip on the radar screen. But they (the NFL/Goodell) stood idle and let the media and the general public take to the "interwebs" and whipped this into a frenzy.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Stop rising to the bait. You're just getting trolled.
trolled by the president of our country who is doing his damndest to run us deeper into the gutter and who's trolling is like the pied piper for a bunch of dupes. i'm going to keep pushing back on crap like this from him and his followers, because without push back, this nonsense starts being seen as normal.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
#1 - Of course it's about a bottom line.
#2 - "players demonstrating and taking real action to improve (America)" lol.
#3 - Right to peaceful protest doesn't extend to what you do while in the employ of a private company. The insinuation that human rights are being trampled on is false.

Look, we are all just gonna talk past one another again. I'd personally be in favor of giving the anthem the old "heave-ho" at sporting events. Most of the players kneeling are morons, as are most of the "patriots" giving themselves rage induced aneurysms. The kneeling doesn't affect actual change and standing for the anthem doesn't actually exhibit patriotism.

So let's just watch football and let people do what they want on their own time?
i don't know that it is that simple. this is in effect an employer requiring a show of adequate deference and "respect" to the government (and in this case, this specific administration) via acting in a certain way during the presentation of symbology. i'm sure the option of staying in the locker room helps get around any potential legal issues, but i don't think employers should be allowed to do this.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
in a somewhat related matter.

link

The Milwaukee Police Department apologized Wednesday and said officers who "acted inappropriately" have been disciplined after an internal investigation over an incident in which a stun gun was used on Milwaukee Bucks rookie Sterling Brown after he was questioned over a potential parking violation in January.

Body camera video of the incident was released by the police shortly after Milwaukee Police Chief Alfonso Morales' news conference. Criminal charges against Brown were not pursued, Morales said in a statement that was read to gathered media.

"I am sorry this incident escalated to this level," said Morales, who did not take questions from reporters. Brown, then 22, was arrested in a Walgreens parking lot at about 2 a.m. local time on Jan. 26.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
And maybe a person who does not show respect for 1A rights should not be president.

I'm just crazy enough to believe we all have a right to free speech, assembly, petition, and religion - all reasons to not stand for the anthem. All are rights codified in the 1A.

Had big mouth made this remark as a private citizen I would simply disagree. Since he represents the government I find his statement much more disturbing.

I also find disturbing the fact that a large portion of society supports our government taking this view.

At least until it eventually gets turned on them.

Just don't say you support this statement and then claim to love freedom.
Sadly, the Trumpies agree with him. Look at the stories on Facebook about this and you’ll see people behind him on this.

I laugh when people say “If you hate America, move to (insert totalitarian dictatorship here) and see how you like it”.

If you think we should all kiss the dear leader’s butt every day, perhaps you should move to a country where that is required, since you think it is such a good idea. I missed where you thought we should bow down to the president between 2009 and 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here's How Standing for the National Anthem Became Part of U.S. Sports Tradition
Like lots of stuff, it has roots in the Late Unpleasantness.

Playing that national anthem was demonstrating loyalty to the Republican party.

If you go to a film on a military base, they start the film with the national anthem and everyone in the theater stands up, or gets reminded that they should.
Here in Huntsville, at every Huntsville Symphony Orchestra concert, the conductor starts the orchestra and then turns and leads the audience in the anthem...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
As a business owner, I don't believe employees should have the right to exercise their 1A rights while 'on the clock' - since it has nothing to do with my business.

That said, I would never ask employees to pledge allegiance to a flag or honor the national anthem, since it has also nothing to do with my business.

The NFL made the deal with the devil here, so to speak, by incorporating this in the first place. Once again I bring up how stupid it is when businesses wade into politics when it's unnecessary - you will almost always alienate a portion of your clientele.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I just cannot care about any of this anymore. Stand, Kneel, stand on your head and spin. I just want to watch football again without this being the only thing talked about. And FYI to all the idiot athletes that think they are "doing something", you are not. You are only brining attention to yourself and not the issue.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
I believe I saw where the players have the right to stay in the locker room if they don’t want to stand. Is that correct?

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
to which tradition are you referring?
At first I thought maybe it was the tradition of not having a President cause issues for private businesses repeatedly by opening his garbage hole or actively trying to attack them for political reasons... Or the tradition of not having a President fairly openly accepting bribes... Or the tradition of not having a President obstruct justice and attack the Justice Department on a daily basis... but then I realized it couldn't possibly be any of those traditions that they'd be worried about.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
At first I thought maybe it was the tradition of not having a President cause issues for private businesses repeatedly by opening his garbage hole or actively trying to attack them for political reasons... Or the tradition of not having a President fairly openly accepting bribes... Or the tradition of not having a President obstruct justice and attack the Justice Department on a daily basis... but then I realized it couldn't possibly be any of those traditions that they'd be worried about.
the good thing is the tradition of folks thinking they are entitled to, without any pushback, tell black folks to be quiet and know their place is alive and well.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.