PSA: FBI Seizes Control of Russian Botnet Infecting Personal Routers

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This is pretty dense. Basically, Russia has compromised over 500,000 personal routers, and the FBI just got a court order to seize the callback domain that allows the routers to communicate with their command center. If your router is infected, restarting will now prevent it from pinging the Kremlin and reactivating the malware.

Here's the lay summary.

TALOS blog (warning: technical)

FBI agents armed with a court order have seized control of a key server in the Kremlin’s global botnet of 500,000 hacked routers, The Daily Beast has learned. The move positions the bureau to build a comprehensive list of victims of the attack, and short-circuits Moscow’s ability to reinfect its targets.

The FBI counter-operation goes after “VPNFilter,” a piece of sophisticated malware linked to the same Russian hacking group, known as Fancy Bear, that breached the Democratic National Committee and the Hillary Clinton campaign during the 2016 election. On Wednesday security researchers at Cisco and Symantec separately provided new details on the malware, which has turned up in 54 countries including the United States.

VPN Filter uses known vulnerabilities to infect home office routers made by Linksys, MikroTik, NETGEAR, and TP-Link. Once in place, the malware reports back to a command-and-control infrastructure that can install purpose-built plug-ins, according to the researchers. One plug-in lets the hackers eavesdrop on the victim’s Internet traffic to steal website credentials; another targets a protocol used in industrial control networks, such as those in the electric grid. A third lets the attacker cripple any or all of the infected devices at will.
This is a non-comprehensive list of devices affected.

Linksys Devices:

E1200
E2500
WRVS4400N

Mikrotik RouterOS Versions for Cloud Core Routers:

Netgear Devices:

DGN2200
R6400
R7000
R8000
WNR1000
WNR2000

QNAP Devices:

TS251
TS439 Pro

TP-Link Devices:

R600VPN

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I had that TP-link device at one point and it was a POS, probably because it was compromised. I've moved to Google Managed Google Wifi mesh devices now. Loving them

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I had that TP-link device at one point and it was a POS, probably because it was compromised. I've moved to Google Managed Google Wifi mesh devices now. Loving them
I have the Nighthawk router, which is on the list of potentially compromised devices. My new place will probably require a mesh setup, though. Until then: rebooted.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I have the Nighthawk router, which is on the list of potentially compromised devices. My new place will probably require a mesh setup, though. Until then: rebooted.
The mesh thing is the best thing I have done on my network since my first wireless network. It just works and works great. I get full bandwidth to every device. It also has google managing it so it gets updated insanely quick and has a great app. I can even granularity give any device priority at any time I want. I am on a con call and the kids are taking my bandwidth? Pull up the app and give my stuff priority and I am fine and the kids netflix gets blurry instead. I can also monitor the network from anywhere. Kept doing it when I was in Ireland just for fun and could even see that the kid I paid to get my mail was at my house one time when I checked cause his phone was on my network. Freeked him the heck out when I called and asked him to check on something while he was there. Putting another one in my 2nd house this weekend

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Ditto, except mine gives plenty of coverage. My networks are the only networks I'm picking up this morning. Often interference is the real problem with wireless routers.
I'll be moving to a more vertical living arrangement, so I suspect I'll need a different setup to penetrate multiple floors.

SF: crappy one-bedroom apartment
Ohio: awesome 4-floor, 3BR condo on the lake

Rent/mortgage: cheaper in OH, somehow
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The mesh thing is the best thing I have done on my network since my first wireless network. It just works and works great. I get full bandwidth to every device. It also has google managing it so it gets updated insanely quick and has a great app. I can even granularity give any device priority at any time I want. I am on a con call and the kids are taking my bandwidth? Pull up the app and give my stuff priority and I am fine and the kids netflix gets blurry instead. I can also monitor the network from anywhere. Kept doing it when I was in Ireland just for fun and could even see that the kid I paid to get my mail was at my house one time when I checked cause his phone was on my network. Freeked him the heck out when I called and asked him to check on something while he was there. Putting another one in my 2nd house this weekend
Just started reading about options from Linksys, Google, Eero, etc. Google sounds like a solid option.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Just started reading about options from Linksys, Google, Eero, etc. Google sounds like a solid option.
I really loved the Eero but I was concerned that they would go belly up or get bought and dead ended by a big guy. I wanted to buy Cisco Meraki as it is the top of the line but couldn't justify the cost. Linksys has burned me too many times in the past so I tried google even though the product has a couple of years on it. Very happy with the choice

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I have a Asus RT-N66U that I put tomato USB on. Lately when streaming netflix and the wife is doing pandora, it will cause the Asus to barf. Thinking of switching to a mesh set up, but the issue I am seeing with a lot of the mesh setups is that they all seem to expect to be sitting out on a desk (almost like they are a lamp) with cables and what not. I put cat 5e throughout the house a few years ago and have everything in a closet. I would love the mesh, but don't want to have to figure out some way to put a shelf somewhere for my initial access point.

As a side note, do these mesh routers support being the true router, allowing me to put my modem in pass through mode? I figure they would, just don't know how easy it would be. What about always on VPN? Is it through some DDNS or do they provide a service?

Thanks

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I have a Asus RT-N66U that I put tomato USB on. Lately when streaming netflix and the wife is doing pandora, it will cause the Asus to barf. Thinking of switching to a mesh set up, but the issue I am seeing with a lot of the mesh setups is that they all seem to expect to be sitting out on a desk (almost like they are a lamp) with cables and what not. I put cat 5e throughout the house a few years ago and have everything in a closet. I would love the mesh, but don't want to have to figure out some way to put a shelf somewhere for my initial access point.

As a side note, do these mesh routers support being the true router, allowing me to put my modem in pass through mode? I figure they would, just don't know how easy it would be. What about always on VPN? Is it through some DDNS or do they provide a service?

Thanks
my modem is in pass through mode and I have a segmented corporate always on VPN that works without issue through it. I haven't tried my own VPN however

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.