Rupp Arena is Getting a Little Renovation (Taking Out 3,000 Seats)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Everything To Know About The Rupp Arena Renovation

Rupp Arena as we know it will soon be gone. In a short year from now, the upper level will see a major renovation with chair-back seating throughout the two sideline sides, and there will be four brand new club areas for those fans interested in adding a little more luxury to their game day experience.

It is a major makeover of college basketball’s greatest arena and you can learn everything there is to know about the project by reading this thorough rundown of what’s to come.
Suspect something similar will happen with Coleman when the time finally comes.

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006
They have introduced more "luxury" it to BDS with the field suites.I would not be surprised to see it in Coleman. I guess the only positive there is that Coleman is rarely close to capacity based on the game feed. It's getting to the point that only the wealthy can afford to attend games. Seating capacity for Rupp is 23,500. Average attendance this this year was 21,875. The renovation is for the luxury which means that your diehard "average" fan can not afford seating.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
They have introduced more "luxury" it to BDS with the field suites.I would not be surprised to see it in Coleman. I guess the only positive there is that Coleman is rarely close to capacity based on the game feed. It's getting to the point that only the wealthy can afford to attend games. Seating capacity for Rupp is 23,500. Average attendance this this year was 21,875. The renovation is for the luxury which means that your diehard "average" fan can not afford seating.
:rolleyes:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm just not a fan of renovating Coleman unless they can change the seating configuration/sight lines. It will take a total gut of the inside, which basically means total demolition of concrete seating arrangement. I just don't know if such is cost effective or really even possible.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm just not a fan of renovating Coleman unless they can change the seating configuration/sight lines. It will take a total gut of the inside, which basically means total demolition of concrete seating arrangement. I just don't know if such is cost effective or really even possible.
The last time Byrne talked about it, he said the early returns pointed to a total gut being cheaper than a new building.

My guess is we won’t hear much for awhile. They won’t do anything until after this upcoming season, so there’s no real reason to extensively talk about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I've been to Rupp a couple of times -- sat in the nosebleed section. Wouldn't do it again...needs downsizing with HDTV and every game broadcast. Cameron Indoor and the Dean Dome are much better venues -- albeit totally different.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It seems to me that Coach Johnson wants a new arena. It makes sense if you really look at the numbers. It may cost less to do a reno of Coleman, but is it really a good investment long term. IMHO, the answer is a resounding no. We'd lose at least 2 years of revenue, and do long term season ticket holders want to drive to B'ham to see a game at 8 on a Wednesday night? I think not, so you could lose the people who have kept the program going for years. I think people in B'ham would come out, but when you come back to Tuscaloosa, season ticket holders going to buy bad tickets? Alabama is by far the most followed basketball team in the state and there should be an arena that reflects that interest. We have a choice, we can be the leader in the state or we can maintain the status quo. Which option do you think is going to push us to a next level team? What will the program be like in 20 years when Coleman is again just another aging facility. Cecil Hurt wrote a great article on this very subject this morning.
https://www.tidesports.com/category/cecil-hurt/

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
They key word in that article is that Coleman was "functional" which means the architects and engineers have options that don't ultimately resort to a demolition.

Based on the approach taken with the baseball stadium which was a major renovation that turned out very well imo. I was very skeptical in the beginning. This approach tells me that PTBs aren't interested in constructing an offsite facility away from other sports. They seemed to prefer keeping their athletics on the same part of the campus. For further evidence, they are renovating the nanotorium rather than build another swimming facility.

I have mentioned it in another thread on a different topic but I think the change prohibiting tax deductibility of athletic donations has pushed this decision to renovation rather rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
They key word in that article is that Coleman was "functional" which means the architects and engineers have options that don't ultimately resort to a demolition.

Based on the approach taken with the baseball stadium which was a major renovation that turned out very well imo. I was very skeptical in the beginning. This approach tells me that PTBs aren't interested in constructing an offsite facility away from other sports. They seemed to prefer keeping their athletics on the same part of the campus. For further evidence, they are renovating the nanotorium rather than build another swimming facility.

I have mentioned it in another thread on a different topic but I think the change prohibiting tax deductibility of athletic donations has pushed this decision to renovation rather rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Personally I hate renovation jobs. Sometimes they can take more work hours than a brand new building. They are not always cheaper for the architects and engineers, but sometimes you have to take these jobs on order to get better work in the future.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.