St.Paul's Sues AHSAA over Discriminatory Rule.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If anyone thinks public schools don't recruit they are kidding themselves.

I have no issue with private schools recruiting. This is BS for making them play this high above their enrollment.

This is only an issue because they are winning against bigger schools and they have their feelings hurt.

A lesser example would be to tell Alabama since you have won 5 of the last 9 Championships. Going forward you must play 12 Power 5 teams in the regular season.
Every school isn't a Hoover type located in a major metro that can actually recruit people away from other public or private schools. The majority of the public schools have very little capacity for that sort of movement.

I can think of one example in my lifetime where Fayette "recruited" a kid and it was mostly because Spencer Pennington got tired of being sacked a dozen times a game at Vernon so his parents moved from Lamar county to Fayette county.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Consider Fayette County: they may have someone move from Lamar into Fayette, a kid may choose to go to FCHS instead of Berry or Hubbertville HS. Those are practically the only vectors you have for bringing a kid into that program...and at the end of the day that is hardly the pickings Madison Academy has in the HSV metro area. We're talking about sniping a few kids from 1A to 3A schools. More often within Fayette County in my time in HS, I saw a few people move to the smaller schools so their boy could start on a team or because their baby girl was getting too much attention from black/brown boys.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Coming from someone that has seen first hand how it works, I'm not naive to think only private schools are cheating.
I don't deny it but it ain't even feasible to a degree to be competitive against football-focused private schools in the mid-tiers and most of these private schools appear to exist in the mid-tier classifications. The only real way for this to be fair is for them to compete among themselves for championships and if they can't field enough teams to make it viable then tough titty.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Consider Fayette County: they may have someone move from Lamar into Fayette, a kid may choose to go to FCHS instead of Berry or Hubbertville HS. Those are practically the only vectors you have for bringing a kid into that program...and at the end of the day that is hardly the pickings Madison Academy has in the HSV metro area. We're talking about sniping a few kids from 1A to 3A schools. More often within Fayette County in my time in HS, I saw a few people move to the smaller schools so their boy could start on a team or because their baby girl was getting too much attention from black/brown boys.
Rural schools might not do it much, but that's only because the pickings are slim and resources are very limited. Your original statement indicated only private schools do it. That's just not true.

I don't deny it but it ain't even feasible to a degree to be competitive against football-focused private schools in the mid-tiers and most of these private schools appear to exist in the mid-tier classifications. The only real way for this to be fair is for them to compete among themselves for championships and if they can't field enough teams to make it viable then tough titty.
That's the point of the multiplier, though. They're already competing against teams that have more players than they do.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Public schools. I just find it kinda troubling because most these private schools exist in the middle-tier classifications where the majority of the public school members are county high schools that aren't really going to 'croot someone within the frameworks a public school can because they're just about the only school in the county anyway. It simply isn't fair when you have an academy near a major population center than can cull the cream of the crop going against county high schools.
Right. No public school in this state recruits.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Coming from someone that has seen first hand how it works, I'm not naive to think only private schools are cheating.
No but having the ability to legally handpick your team is a lot more advantageous than having to come up with a lie that is hard for your rival to call shenanigans with. I think we all are aware about why and how Thompson is relevant now, but let’s stop acting like they have a better team year in and year out like McGill toolen.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
So we should legislate that and lock those parents in?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
No but having the ability to legally handpick your team is a lot more advantageous than having to come up with a lie that is hard for your rival to call shenanigans with. I think we all are aware about why and how Thompson is relevant now, but let’s stop acting like they have a better team year in and year out like McGill toolen.
And that's why AHSAA has the multiplier. Now, winning programs are punished again for overcoming the first punishment for being a private school?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
So we should legislate that and lock those parents in?
A parental decision on what public school their child attends is a private decision. A parental decision to accept a scholarship or pay for their child to attend a private school with a great football program is a private decision too but that doesn't mean the state school system should be on the hook for providing them county high schools to get dunked on like they're the Washington Generals.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And that's why AHSAA has the multiplier. Now, winning programs are punished again for overcoming the first punishment for being a private school?
5A is about to become a dead classification because private schools are overwhelmingly winning the league . It’s because there’s no counterbalance like there was when teams like Homewood, Spanish Fort, and Benjamin Russell were in there. So basically they’re just showing up in winning championships every year. Saint Pauls has benefited the most from the seven a classification. Now if they could only get Briarwood out we might actually have a fair competition in that classification for the first time since the late 90s.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
A parental decision on what public school their child attends is a private decision. A parental decision to accept a scholarship or pay for their child to attend a private school with a great football program is a private decision too but that doesn't mean the state school system should be on the hook for providing them county high schools to get dunked on like they're the Washington Generals.
The interactions here are a lot more complicated than that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Fayette County HS has made a 3A and 4A championship in the last decade and gotten beaten down like they were playing Tuscaloosa County HS each time by a private school. So if it is becoming true at 5A, it seems to have some of that at the classifications immediately below it too.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Tennessee has a separate division for private schools. Can someone there tell us how that has worked out?

That might be a solution here, but it could cause problems putting a schedule together if public/private games were banned. Plus you’d have some long trips for first round playoff games. It also might kill programs in some sports if not enough private schools sponsor the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Tennessee has a separate division for private schools. Can someone there tell us how that has worked out?

That might be a solution here, but it could cause problems putting a schedule together if public/private games were banned. Plus you’d have some long trips for first round playoff games. It also might kill programs in some sports if not enough private schools sponsor the sport.

Alabama already has the AISA (Alabama Independent School Association). Some private schools decided to join the AHSAA, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Football Past State Champions

What am I missing here? From what I can tell, private schools have one two of the last 14 state championships.

Since 2010, nine championships of been claimed by private schools. That's 17% of the football blue maps handed out in that span. Struggling to see how there's an issue.

Should Lauderdale County girls basketball play up a classification or two after winning five straight championships from 2012-2016 and eight total since 2000?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Sylacauga it is a center of the state school. We are usually Get paired with Auburn in Birmingham schools. So we get third-place usually every year so that means we have to travel first round. First round of playoffs we are either in Huntsville or mobile because we keep on getting pu get paired with Auburn and Birmingham schools. So we get third-place usually every year so that means we have to travel first round. First round of playoffs we are either in Huntsville or mobile because we keep on getting switched. So were either looking at 3 1/2 hour drive or 4 1/2 hour drive every year so if you’re in the center of the state you Are already at a distance disadvantage first round of the playoffs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.