St.Paul's Sues AHSAA over Discriminatory Rule.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
First, look up OJ Howard, Autauga Academy, and prom date.

Second, they may not be dedicated to segregation but were formed because of it and still operating today.
Thanks - had not heard about that, and I knew that schools were formed to avoid desegregation, but I assumed that they were all gone since has been illegal to have a segregated school for 40 years. No school in America, public or private, can exclude a student based on race.

Not picking on the South - we have plenty of ugly things going on in Ohio. I was just taken by surprise here.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Consider Fayette County: they may have someone move from Lamar into Fayette, a kid may choose to go to FCHS instead of Berry or Hubbertville HS. Those are practically the only vectors you have for bringing a kid into that program...and at the end of the day that is hardly the pickings Madison Academy has in the HSV metro area. We're talking about sniping a few kids from 1A to 3A schools. More often within Fayette County in my time in HS, I saw a few people move to the smaller schools so their boy could start on a team or because their baby girl was getting too much attention from black/brown boys.
Not entirely true and prob not the best example. I’m from that area and know of at least three other schools outside Fayette County that FCHS has “recruited” players from for their program(s) (not just for football). My alma mater did it to them my senior year and we beat them in large part to that player’s talent in the defensive backfield. Walden Tucker wouldn’t even walk across the 50. Had his team go straight to the bus. Said player moved back to FC the next year because our basketball coach went back to Bevill St. and he helped FC get to the semis. For a while in the mid-late 2000s all of the schools in that area jumped on the recruiting trail following FC’s lead. Even the 1A schools.

Poor Vernon. They’ve lost players to Winfield, Fayette, Sulligent, and Hamilton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Football Past State Champions

What am I missing here? From what I can tell, private schools have one two of the last 14 state championships.

Since 2010, nine championships of been claimed by private schools. That's 17% of the football blue maps handed out in that span. Struggling to see how there's an issue.

Should Lauderdale County girls basketball play up a classification or two after winning five straight championships from 2012-2016 and eight total since 2000?
Other schools you can add to this list- Sweet Water, Brantley, Addison, Piedmont, Lanett, Pickens Co. - small rural public schools which have won several state championships in the last few years in multiple sports. According to the logic of the rule they should be punished for winning (not the multiplier rule). Makes no sense to me.

Another thing- most private schools are not good at sports. They might have 1 or 2 they’re good @ but their programs as a whole struggle in AHSAA.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There isn't a 7A school in the Montgomery area, including Prattville, that can compete with Hoover in terms of resources or numbers. If St. Paul's doesn't meet the criteria for being a 6A school, like every other school in the classification - given the multiplier, then it is the wrong decision. The decision shouldn't be based upon how good they are or how often they win. Sounds like St. Paul's has just gotten under your skin by perhaps defeating your team on a somewhat regular basis? South Alabama will just have to deal with St. Paul's like we have to deal with Hoover; a shrug of the shoulders and say "that's just Hoover." Our only recourse is to work harder to get better and hope they eventually come back to the pack. We don't like it, or enjoy it, but we're not asking the AHSAA for relief from it.
If you truly watch Prattville then you would know they have beaten Hoover in the state championship 3 times. I think that is pretty competitive and not flukish. Which further proves my point that Hoover has true competition, St Paul’s doesn’t. End of story.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Another thing- most private schools are not good at sports. They might have 1 or 2 they’re good @ but their programs as a whole struggle in ASHAA.

Yes and no. It’s more of where and what classification you are. A private school in Mobile and a key spot in Bham is going to probably be a lot better than some private school in idk Tallapoosa county.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
If you truly watch Prattville then you would know they have beaten Hoover in the state championship 3 times. I think that is pretty competitive and not flukish. Which further proves my point that Hoover has true competition, St Paul’s doesn’t. End of story.
I live in Prattville and see it up close and personal. Since 2000, that's 18 years, in the highest classifications that existed during that period, there have only been 8 schools to reach the championship game. From the North: Hoover (16) and Spain Park (2). From the South: Prattville (7), Daphne (5), McGill-Toolen (3), Auburn, Opelika, and Jeff Davis once each. Daphne and Opelika are no longer in the top classification. Again, let me reiterate, since 2000, there have been 18 championship games and Hoover has represented the North in 16 of those games. Where is their competition? The Southern half of the bracket has been more competitive and, yes, even managed to defeat Hoover a few times (5 to be exact) in the finals - kudos to P'ville for owning 3 of those! Still, that's eleven (11) titles for the Bucs in 18 years.

Back to St. Paul's, which I have no personal knowledge of, according to the AHSAA website they have only won 4 football titles: 2017, 2015, 2014 and 2007. Impressive but hardly dynasty level. Spanish Fort won 3 5A titles since 2010 (2010, 2012, 2013) & a 6A title in 2015 - equally impressive. Applying the same logic you invoked above, this proves St. Paul's has had true competition - but is on a current upswing. But this issue isn't about competition level, it's about what appears to be the AHSAA not following their own established rules (like the SEC's graduate transfer issue). Spanish Fort moved up a class because of enrollment, not because they won 3 titles in four years. Now, if the AHSAA increased the multiplier for private schools and that pushed St. Paul's up a class, they may not like it, but they have no argument/case. That might solve the St. Paul issue, but it would be especially devastating to schools like PCA. Personally, I don't care if they win 3 more in a row or never win another; however, the argument you put forth sounds, to me, as though you want them punished for being too good and that isn't a valid reason for arbitrarily forcing any team to move up a class. So, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Yes and no. It’s more of where and what classification you are. A private school in Mobile and a key spot in Bham is going to probably be a lot better than some private school in idk Tallapoosa county.
Well, there are more private schools in our metro areas than rural. Most of those sports programs are not dominant. They’re usually good in 1 or 2 sports and even then not year in and out like the private schools being discussed. Briarwood, MA, and St. Paul’s are an exception not the rule with dominating sports across the board in both boys & girls sports.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
Other schools you can add to this list- Sweet Water, Brantley, Addison, Piedmont, Lanett, Pickens Co. - small rural public schools which have won several state championships in the last few years in multiple sports. According to the logic of the rule they should be punished for winning (not the multiplier rule). Makes no sense to me.

Another thing- most private schools are not good at sports. They might have 1 or 2 they’re good @ but their programs as a whole struggle in ASHAA.
This. I teach at a tiny 1A private school in a small metro area, and the idea that we recruit for sports is laughable. We need as many paying students as we can get in order to keep the lights on. With that said, we've won a couple of volleyball state championships in the last few years and just won a golf state championship, so does that mean we should be playing up in classification due to recent success? (Heck, we're already playing with 2A and 3A in some sports due to lacking program numbers statewide). How fair would that be? To boot, were already dangerously close to being 2A due to the multiplier, despite the fact that we just graduated a senior class last night with a whopping 27 kids. Oh but wait, the 45 kids in the rising sophomore class might be enough to push us to 2A after all; too bad that 29 of them are girls and thus won't help us for football [yeah, be sure to read that last sentence in blue font].

Something that seems to be lost in this whole discussion (which was basically started by two butthurt people arguing for and against the treatment of one particular school) is the fact that high school sport success is cyclical. Punishing schools (and future students) for a string of recent successes isn't just wrong, it's morally repugnant. The tide rises and falls at these schools (I know, a bit on the nose) in terms of talent, and most private schools will hit a competitive lull and render this argument moot. Yet the rule will still stand.

I keep seeing people say "5A isn't competitive anymore!!" So what?! Doesn't everyone realize that these rules affect ALL of the private schools? What if our state champion golf team mentioned above, which was talented but very young, runs off three in a row. Are they going to make us play 5A schools to win the state title to create competitive balance?

And what about the schools listed in the attached post? Where are the people clamoring for there to be some sort of classificstion elevation for the Piedmonts and Sweet Waters of the state (both of which are rural, not metro, by the way) who have absolutely dominated in multiple sports for the last few years? I can personally speak to the impact that a huge booster club at Piedmont (and the remarkable facilities they've built as a result) has had on attracting local talent away from other schools in the area, both public and private.

Rules are made to govern everyone, not just the exceptional. Trying to legislate competitive balance is a fool's errand. Want to compete against the best? Find a way to get better. My God, everyone on this site (and everyone else that paints the perpetual bullseye on Bama's back) should be able to appreciate that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This. I teach at a tiny 1A private school in a small metro area, and the idea that we recruit for sports is laughable. We need as many paying students as we can get in order to keep the lights on. With that said, we've won a couple of volleyball state championships in the last few years and just won a golf state championship, so does that mean we should be playing up in classification due to recent success? (Heck, we're already playing with 2A and 3A in some sports due to lacking program numbers statewide). How fair would that be? To boot, were already dangerously close to being 2A due to the multiplier, despite the fact that we just graduated a senior class last night with a whopping 27 kids. Oh but wait, the 45 kids in the rising sophomore class might be enough to push us to 2A after all; too bad that 29 of them are girls and thus won't help us for football [yeah, be sure to read that last sentence in blue font].

Something that seems to be lost in this whole discussion (which was basically started by two butthurt people arguing for and against the treatment of one particular school) is the fact that high school sport success is cyclical. Punishing schools (and future students) for a string of recent successes isn't just wrong, it's morally repugnant. The tide rises and falls at these schools (I know, a bit on the nose) in terms of talent, and most private schools will hit a competitive lull and render this argument moot. Yet the rule will still stand.

I keep seeing people say "5A isn't competitive anymore!!" So what?! Doesn't everyone realize that these rules affect ALL of the private schools? What if our state champion golf team mentioned above, which was talented but very young, runs off three in a row. Are they going to make us play 5A schools to win the state title to create competitive balance?

And what about the schools listed in the attached post? Where are the people clamoring for there to be some sort of classificstion elevation for the Piedmonts and Sweet Waters of the state (both of which are rural, not metro, by the way) who have absolutely dominated in multiple sports for the last few years? I can personally speak to the impact that a huge booster club at Piedmont (and the remarkable facilities they've built as a result) has had on attracting local talent away from other schools in the area, both public and private.

Rules are made to govern everyone, not just the exceptional. Trying to legislate competitive balance is a fool's errand. Want to compete against the best? Find a way to get better. My God, everyone on this site (and everyone else that paints the perpetual bullseye on Bama's back) should be able to appreciate that.
Great post.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, there are more private schools in our metro areas than rural. Most of those sports programs are not dominant. They’re usually good in 1 or 2 sports and even then not year in and out like the private schools being discussed. Briarwood, MA, and St. Paul’s are an exception not the rule with dominating sports across the board in both boys & girls sports.

The problem with Briarwood and St Paul’s is they are a big exception to the rule. I’m telling you that because I’ve seen both over the last 15-20 years and I can’t tell you the last time either didn’t host a 1st round playoff game ( which means #1 or #2 in your region for those unfamiliar to the rules). It’s getting to a point that there needs to be a competitive counterbalance to these types of metro private schools because they are basically feasting on a poor county school league by paying for Championships. Personally I think the most fair thing to do is make every private school their own classification a part from public schools and compete for their own state championships.

I do realize there are far smaller private schools that aren’t as successful, but again I think they should have their own classification. I believe the inception of the Super 7 and the competitive balance is one of the best actions that the AHSAA because it prevents huge metro Bham and Mobile schools from cooking books to get into 5A and forces private schools to play competition that is closer to them. That’s just my opinion, and I see very little that will make me move from that.

But to each their own. I realize that this is more of a conversation between people who love and attended/ or sent their kids through private schools and people who couldn’t afford it than what’s fair for the sport. It really depends on what background you come from to what conclusion you eventually come to. But ultimately I believe the AHSAA is going to win this fight just like the NFL won deflate gate in that it was an agreed upon stipulation of what power the governing body has and they have the power to legally make those particular rules, and that Alabama has a private school league already so it was ultimately St Paul’s decision to play in the AHSAA to begin with.

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
I do realize there are far smaller private schools that aren’t as successful, but again I think they should have their own classification. I believe the inception of the Super 7 and the competitive balance is one of the best actions that the AHSAA because it prevents huge metro Bham and Mobile schools from cooking books to get into 5A and forces private schools to play competition that is closer to them. That’s just my opinion, and I see very little that will make me move from that.
As someone stated earlier, the AISA already exists, but competition in it is voluntary. Frankly, it's almost unfair to the private schools who choose to play in AISA to wedge schools like St. Pauls and Briarwood into that universe. Those schools play in that league because they know that they don't have the horses to compete with other schools in the AHSAA, mostly the public schools. Sure, they might be afraid of someone like St. Paul's, but again, that's not who or what they're principally trying to avoid. Frankly, for most of those schools, sports is a secondary concern anyway.

Speaking for my school, we also choose to play in AHSAA rather than AISA, but the desire to play better competition has little to do with it. Frankly, the most significant concern is the travel expenses. While requiring all private schools to play in AISA would make the field larger, it wouldn't change the fact that, in order to play a full schedule, we would still have to travel hours and hours away for many of our road games due to the lack of private schools in our geographic area that play the major sports. That's not an issue for public schools that are districted with schools of equitable classification and geographic proximity (and are funded by the government/taxpayers), but it's a huge deal for small schools with tiny athletic budgets and a primary focus on education that would be jeopardized by sports teams having to miss copious amounts of school due to travel logistics.

As for the thought that schools like St. Paul's and Briarwood are pillaging the talent of the local public schools, perhaps it is happening. Again, so what?! What are you going to do? Restrict scholarships? What about private school scholarships that go to the underserved or are classified for the arts? Those kids could play sports, too, or are you going to say that if you receive financial aid that you shouldn't be eligible? That's not just wrong, it's reprehensible and un-American. The answer for the AHSAA was to create a rule that penalizes ALL private schools due to a short period of sustained success for a handful of those institutions. Like that's fair. [/sarcasm] Here's the answer: organize your efforts, start early, get better, and beat them. Or better yet, wait for the inevitable downturn that happens to every school due to the generational ebb and flow of talent.

What I can speak to is the idea that those same schools are "cooking the books" in order to keep enrollment at a certain level in order to maintain a certain sports classification. Seriously? Unless those schools are literally Scrooge McDuck swimming in cash, no private school is turning away full-paying students. To think such is a fallacy of logic and belies a fundamental understanding of supply and demand in the private sector of education.

Again, this entire discussion is being driven by the reactions of a couple of people to the actions of a handful of schools (and the state's ill-advised attempts to try and placate those who see success by private institutions as unfair). If I want to live under a system that punishes individual success and de-incentivizes efforts to create, innovate, and win (whether one thinks the means to get there as legitimate or not), I'll move to a country that embraces socialism or communism.

Last edited:

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
You obviously have a biased opinion because that is where you kids went to school. You will lose your argument with most on this board. And St Paul's will also lose their lawsuit.
Among those 4 losses was the game I attended at Spanish Fort.

I've been to a fair number of HS football games in my life, and I've only ONE TIME attended a HS game (in ANY SPORT) where the home fans did not applaud (even give a mild "gold clap") when an opposing player was seriously hurt during a game. And I'm talking about DEAD SILENCE - NONE - NADA - NO ONE - not even the parents gave a "golf clap" - and I was sitting on the "home" side, even though SPS was the visiting team - so I can say this with absolute certainty.

Give you ONE guess where that was.

So you can spare me the "obnoxious brats" cracks.

How about you answer my question!
Riddle me this, Batman - would you support the same sort of handicap for UA???
After all, the Tide has "owned" the SEC and the NCAA for a DECADE now- and to a MUCH greater extent that SPS has ever "owned" the Mobile area.

Would you support THAT????

We all know the answer there, don't we????

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As someone stated earlier, the AISA already exists, but competition in it is voluntary. Frankly, it's almost unfair to the private schools who choose to play in AISA to wedge schools like St. Pauls and Briarwood into that universe. Those schools play in that league because they know that they don't have the horses to compete with other schools in the AHSAA, mostly the public schools. Sure, they might be afraid of someone like St. Paul's, but again, that's not who or what they're principally trying to avoid. Frankly, for most of those schools, sports is a secondary concern anyway.

Speaking for my school, we also choose to play in AHSAA rather than AISA, but the desire to play better competition has little to do with it. Frankly, the most significant concern is the travel expenses. While requiring all private schools to play in AISA would make the field larger, it wouldn't change the fact that, in order to play a full schedule, we would still have to travel hours and hours away for many of our road games due to the lack of private schools in our geographic area that play the major sports. That's not an issue for public schools that are districted with schools of equitable classification and geographic proximity (and are funded by the government/taxpayers), but it's a huge deal for small schools with tiny athletic budgets and a primary focus on education that would be jeopardized by sports teams having to miss copious amounts of school due to travel logistics.

As for the thought that schools like St. Paul's and Briarwood are pillaging the talent of the local public schools, perhaps it is happening. Again, so what?! What are you going to do? Restrict scholarships? What about private school scholarships that go to the underserved or are classified for the arts? Those kids could play sports, too, or are you going to say that if you receive financial aid that you shouldn't be eligible? That's not just wrong, it's reprehensible and un-American. The answer for the AHSAA was to create a rule that penalizes ALL private schools due to a short period of sustained success for a handful of those institutions. Like that's fair. [/sarcasm] Here's the answer: organize your efforts, start early, get better, and beat them. Or better yet, wait for the inevitable downturn that happens to every school due to the generational ebb and flow of talent.

What I can speak to is the idea that those same schools are "cooking the books" in order to keep enrollment at a certain level in order to maintain a certain sports classification. Seriously? Unless those schools are literally Scrooge McDuck swimming in cash, no private school is turning away full-paying students. To think such is a fallacy of logic and belies a fundamental understanding of supply and demand in the private sector of education.

Again, this entire discussion is being driven by the reactions of a couple of people to the actions of a handful of schools (and the state's ill-advised attempts to try and placate those who see success by private institutions as unfair). If I want to live under a system that punishes individual success and de-incentivizes efforts to create, innovate, and win (whether one thinks the means to get there as legitimate or not), I'll move to a country that embraces socialism or communism.
Did I not just say that it was Saint Pauls decision to play in the classification that they currently are. So they should accept any rules that classification makes sense they are a special issue team. I have no sympathy for teams it pillage talent from big metro areas, you take generational talent away from County and small city schools. So you can preach all you want about how it’s unfair for private schools in big metro areas but you’re not gonna get 1 ounce of sympathy for me on that argument so what use is there to argue about this anymore. They should go to at the league County in small city schools. So you can preach all you want about how it’s unfair for private schools in big metro areas but you’re not gonna get 1 ounce of sympathy for me on that argument so what use is there to argue about this anymore. They should go to the private school league if they have a problem with playing teams like Spanish Fort, Daphne, and Heather mobile schools. There’s a reason that Coosa Valley Academy doesn’t want to play Talladega County schools. If Saint Pauls has a problem with it they should follow up with Coosa Valley Academy did.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Did I not just say that it was Saint Pauls decision to play in the classification that they currently are. So they should accept any rules that classification makes sense they are a special issue team. I have no sympathy for teams it pillage talent from big metro areas, you take generational talent away from County and small city schools. So you can preach all you want about how it’s unfair for private schools in big metro areas but you’re not gonna get 1 ounce of sympathy for me on that argument so what use is there to argue about this anymore. They should go to at the league County in small city schools. So you can preach all you want about how it’s unfair for private schools in big metro areas but you’re not gonna get 1 ounce of sympathy for me on that argument so what use is there to argue about this anymore. They should go to the private school league if they have a problem with playing teams like Spanish Fort, Daphne, and Heather mobile schools. There’s a reason that Coosa Valley Academy doesn’t want to play Talladega County schools. If Saint Pauls has a problem with it they should follow up with Coosa Valley Academy did.
Again, what are you going to do with the public schools that have dominated their classifications? Make them all play in the same classification for that sport?

Private schools already have one form of punishment in the multiplier. Because that hasn't limited a team or two enough from still winning, some schools are going to whine for more punishment?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Again, what are you going to do with the public schools that have dominated their classifications? Make them all play in the same classification for that sport?

Private schools already have one form of punishment in the multiplier. Because that hasn't limited a team or two enough from still winning, some schools are going to whine for more punishment?
The multiplier was there for the super six. We are at super seven so either the multiplier needs to increase our new rules need to be in place. Also again not every public school is Hoover. Hoover also plays it good competition for their situation. Saint Pauls does not

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The multiplier was there for the super six. We are at super seven so either the multiplier needs to increase our new rules need to be in place. Also again not every public school is Hoover. Hoover also plays it good competition for their situation. Saint Pauls does not
Let me guess - you want to make sure the multiplier is high enough it puts St. Paul's in 6A, right? Better hope it's not too high, and Madison Academy moves up to 5A. What would teams do then?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Let me guess - you want to make sure the multiplier is high enough it puts St. Paul's in 6A, right? Better hope it's not too high, and Madison Academy moves up to 5A. What would teams do then?
St Paul’s is 6A already exactly where they belong;)

Again my solution is that all private schools play in their own league, but right now the multiplier and balance of competition is the best way to deal with it imo. If Madison Academy or any other private school starts to dominate their league to the level that it’s a clear competitive advantage then they should move up. That’s my opinion and you have yours and I think we are at the point that we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
St Paul’s is 6A already exactly where they belong;)

Again my solution is that all private schools play in their own league, but right now the multiplier and balance of competition is the best way to deal with it imo. If Madison Academy or any other private school starts to dominate their league to the level that it’s a clear competitive advantage then they should move up. That’s my opinion and you have yours and I think we are at the point that we’ll just have to agree to disagree.
Let's be honest. You just want your team to win State championships. The weaker the competition, the more championships you will win. I get it and don't have a problem with it, but let's face it.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
A private enterprise, in competition with a public one, under rules set by the government, will rarely be happy with the outcome. Here in Texas, major private schools have their own conferences; and schools in the Southwest Preparatory Conference (the one I’m most familiar with) don’t play public schools, at least not in “revenue” sports. I’m not saying they shouldn’t; just that they don’t. If AHSAA does something a subset of their membership doesn’t like, why wouldn’t Alabama private schools have the option of forming their own conference?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A private enterprise, in competition with a public one, under rules set by the government, will rarely be happy with the outcome. Here in Texas, major private schools have their own conferences; and schools in the Southwest Preparatory Conference (the one I’m most familiar with) don’t play public schools, at least not in “revenue” sports. I’m not saying they shouldn’t; just that they don’t. If AHSAA does something a subset of their membership doesn’t like, why wouldn’t Alabama private schools have the option of forming their own conference?

Sounds like there already exists a division for private schools, but private schools get to choose.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.