**** 2018 QB Layne Hatcher Commits to Bama ****

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Not in any way disputing, but just curious — why do you think Jones stays?
Just a hunch............no concrete evidence that he will, but I've felt for a long time that Jalen will transfer. I could be wrong, and if I am then that's ok. I think Jones sticks around to try and win the starting job from Tua.............but as the poster above stated, both could go, especially since both Tua's brother and Tyson have committed..........hard to say what will happen

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I actually agree with your conclusion that Jones stays, but get there a different way.

I think Jones is looking at Tua being the starter for two years. After which time, Jones will be a RS Junior, competing against guys two years younger. All the while, getting the best coaching, and winning championships.

Not a bad gig, and a thought process Saban would love.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Hatcher signing gives us the depth to not have to worry about this any more. I don't believe that both Jones and Hurts are going to transfer at the same time, and as long as we have one of Tua or Jalen and decent depth we will be favored to win another championship.

Rtr

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
With absolutely no inside information, I think either Hurts or Jones is transferring.

If there were no QBs transferring, a fourth QB who is
-- a true freshman
-- from a private high school in Arkansas
-- thought Arkansas State was his next best option, and
-- signs between the end of the spring semester and beginning of the first summer term in Tuscaloosa
does not in any way fit the profile of a Saban recruit.

Absent a QB transfer, it just makes no sense. Saban doesn't do anything without a clear purpose, so we're left to piece together what he might be thinking.

While you could construct all sorts of scenarios, the simplest one is a transfer, leaving us with two QBs on scholarship, and needing some disaster insurance.

Lacking a reason to think otherwise, I have to go with Occam's Razor -- the simplest explanation is usually the best one. If that's right, the only question left is who -- Hurts or Jones?
I was thinking the same thing...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Mac Jones isn't transferring until he gets his degree. The success of QB transferring Alabama and being successful somewhere is very low. Jalen might be the exception to that, and I really think Mac Jones can start somewhere outside SEC, just not right now.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I actually agree with your conclusion that Jones stays, but get there a different way.

I think Jones is looking at Tua being the starter for two years. After which time, Jones will be a RS Junior, competing against guys two years younger. All the while, getting the best coaching, and winning championships.

Not a bad gig, and a thought process Saban would love.
Very plausible as well..............and I had considered that too. It would be beneficial to Jones. Something just makes me think ( and I could be very wrong) that after all the comments made not long ago, the decision might have already been made if certain parameters aren't met.............again, just a hunch

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Assuming Hurts transfers, I don't think Jones has any real reason to transfer. He'd be getting backup minutes, and he could re-evaluate the situation after the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.