How a 4-Hour Battle Between Russian Mercenaries and U.S. Commandos Unfolded in Syria

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Yah, I've seen their calls on it. They took an incredible beating, had no idea they were going up against USSF.

A friend of mine was recently posted in Djibouti at the Africom base - when I first heard he was deploying there I mentioned my concern as that part of the world isn't exactly stable. He laughed and said "I'll be on a base with over 4,000 USSF soldiers - I'll be safer there than you will be in your den watching TV..."
my brother got "stuck" in djibouti for quite a few months after his first tour in iraq. apparently his c.o. had ticked off a superior.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Explain to me why we're in Syria again? Oh, yeah, I see...
Well, there's the mystery. There's no oil there for us, no matter what happens. It could be argued that, so far as bringing down world oil prices by increasing supplies, the best thing for us to do would be to get out and let Assad win. I guess the reason we're over there in the middle of that civil war is because Assad is a butcher. Yeah, well...

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Aren't we in Syria to control/limit Russia's interests in it?

And also because of the oil?
Remember this conflict began when Obama was in office. I can name a list of Obama's flaws but I do not think he would intervene in a country for oil or money. Actually, based upon everything I have seen from him he probably started for purely ideological reasons.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Unless it's to get more American companies in on the production, there's really no oil there for us...
Remember this conflict began when Obama was in office. I can name a list of Obama's flaws but I do not think he would intervene in a country for oil or money. Actually, based upon everything I have seen from him he probably started for purely ideological reasons.
Not for us to get oil - but keep Russia from getting control over it....along with other things....

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Russia's really not in need of it. It's to preserve their historic position as a supporter of the ruling Syrian regime...
The overwhelming reason why Putin has sent troops (and turned a blind eye to mercenary companies that clearly violate Russian law) is to show his few remaining friends that he will stand by them in a crunch. Russia/Putin has very few allies left, so he needs to demonstrate resolve in protecting those few.

Belarus: Lukashenko is an ally but he carefully balances being pro-Russia and open to the West.
Armenia: just had a color revolution throwing out Sargsyan (Putin friend).
Serbia: historical ally from whom Russia could not prevent the West from ripping away a valued province (Kosovo) and a country considering EU membership.
Syria: facing a serious civil war.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.