Good read on Joe Namath - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Good read on Joe Namath

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    So glad I got to see (when I was 10) 1968 Boston Patriots vs. New York Jets regular season game played on September 22, 1968, at Legion Field.
    I was at that game, as well. Great fun. It was my 10th birthday gift.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

It's the off season so I'm going to retell an old story...please bear with me or skip it if you've seen it before...

I rented a house from some sisters for several years while living in Tuscaloosa. They were great people, and big football fans. There was a vacant lot included in the property, on home gameday I could more than pay my rent parking cars. I would save the easiest spot for the sisters, and they would always bring me a chocolate cake on gameday. We got along famously, as the saying goes.

Many years later, before Namath got married, he brought his bride-to-be to Tuscaloosa to meet the sisters who had befriended him while he was a student. They evidently had a close relationship, the article described how he had stayed in touch with them through the years, sending flowers every year and such. I knew how nice they had been to the young student Namath because years later I got the same treatment from them.

And the most remarkable thing was that they never once dropped his name or their friendship, even though they had been dealing with me for three years. I was absolutely amazed. Their family had a hotel in Tuscaloosa, some old timers might remember them.

I also remember them being in the news years after knowing them when they drove to a game in Texas at a very advanced age.

Met Joe maybe 10 years or so ago when he had a book signing at Brookwood Village in Homewood. My wife asked Joe how his daughter was doing at UA (she was a student at the time) and mentioned our daughter was also there. He stopped the line for a good 3 minutes to talk about "our daughter". There aren't many celebs who would give two cents about your life. Joe is one in a million.

BamaNation All-SEC rolltide7854's Avatar

My first memory of Alabama football was him SCORING against Texas. yep, still not over it.

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTide View Post
    Coach Bryant said on more than one occasion that he was the best athlete he'd coached. That's saying a lot if you think about it.

I'm old enough to have seen him play in person, which qualifies me as a member of the OFC (Old Farts Club) here on TF.

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide7854 View Post
    My first memory of Alabama football was him SCORING against Texas. yep, still not over it.
    I wasn't around at the time but I have seen that play before and there is NO DOUBT he scored.
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples! Denzel Devall

I was at that game also 78Alum.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by rolltide7854 View Post
    i was a kid , but my family was in the den watching that game. My Dad jumped up and said Joe scored on 3rd down. Later in years and while listening to WDJC radio in B'ham one day in 1990...Dr Gaylon McCullolah (I am certain I have misspelled his name. Sorry) was a guest to be interviewed, and Gaylon was a Tide OL player in 1964 against Texas. He made the comment that on 3rd down ...Joe scored because Joe was was laying on top of him and HIS hips were on top of the goalline. Coach Bryant also knew it, but he had too much class to whine about it like an Awbun coach might do for the next 10 or 12 years. I think I heard where Gaylon has passed on. Not entirely certain but I saw that somewhere.

BamaNation All-American FitToBeTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenntiderman View Post
    i was a kid , but my family was in the den watching that game. My Dad jumped up and said Joe scored on 3rd down. Later in years and while listening to WDJC radio in B'ham one day in 1990...Dr Gaylon McCullolah (I am certain I have misspelled his name. Sorry) was a guest to be interviewed, and Gaylon was a Tide OL player in 1964 against Texas. He made the comment that on 3rd down ...Joe scored because Joe was was laying on top of him and HIS hips were on top of the goalline. Coach Bryant also knew it, but he had too much class to whine about it like an Awbun coach might do for the next 10 or 12 years. I think I heard where Gaylon has passed on. Not entirely certain but I saw that somewhere.
    It must have been within the last month or so because I saw him and Lee Roy Jordan signing books at the Bryant Museum at A Day game...

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Tenntiderman View Post
    I think I heard where Gaylon has passed on.
    Not that I'm aware of. I know he was active a few months ago. Dr. Gaylon McCollough.
    http://www.mccolloughplasticsurgery....ughMDFACS.html

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. I know he was active a few months ago. Dr. Gaylon McCollough.
    http://www.mccolloughplasticsurgery....ughMDFACS.html
    I am very glad to see this. Always thought Gaylon was a fine man. Glad to hear he is still with us.

BamaNation First Team

I can still hear Coach Bryant pointing out that This or that block was made by Gaylon McCollough. I wish Bama could have beaten Texas and then whipped Arkansas. They don't believe we won anything in '64.