Link: Top 25 most intimidating college football stadiums in 2018

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am not sure if the stadiums/crowds on that list are necessarily intimidating so much as the teams that play in those stadiums, but it is a cool off-season slideshow.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I couldn't get the slideshow to work on that site. But I agree it's often the team, rather than the stadium. I would think Coach Nick Saban would add some intimidation as well.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Before opening the thread, I thought BDS, not because of fans or stadium, but just because of who you knew you had to play when you stepped on the field.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think we'd all agree that if you've been attending Bama games for the last 50 years that BDS's fans have become more "into" the game.

There's a big difference in attending a big game like LSU in the CNS area than back when Coach Bryant was leaning up against the goal post.

In those days, Bama games were a little more like attending a pre-determined decision of the visiting teams beat down. Fans politely sat in the seat and warmy applauded the much expected beatdown with an expected large ovation for a big play or TD...but nothing like fans today...standing the all game...and yelling to the point of losing their voices.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I think we'd all agree that if you've been attending Bama games for the last 50 years that BDS's fans have become more "into" the game.

There's a big difference in attending a big game like LSU in the CNS area than back when Coach Bryant was leaning up against the goal post.

In those days, Bama games were a little more like attending a pre-determined decision of the visiting teams beat down. Fans politely sat in the seat and warmy applauded the much expected beatdown with an expected large ovation for a big play or TD...but nothing like fans today...standing the all game...and yelling to the point of losing their voices.
This ^^.

When I was in grad school in the late 80's/early 90's, when you got outside of the student section, "excessive" cheering was actually discouraged by many of the gray-haired denizens of the "good seats"..........

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Death Valley is still louder than BDS and more hostile due to the fans imo. I went in 2016 for the Bama-LSU game and it’s probably the loudest outdoor stadium I’ve ever been in and I’ve been to pretty much all BDS games in the last 8 years and I can honestly say 2016 LSU is just louder. It’s mostly because how Tiger Stadium is built and their culture as fans. Alabama has this distinct divide between fans who really get in to games and fans that believe it’s a crime to stand up during a game. LSU has a large percent of drunk into the game fans. They are just loud.

The word “intimidating” can suggest many things other than the fans. Like that most of Alabama’s losses since 2010 have been away from BDS. I think BDS is the hardest place to win because of the team that we have there.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I am not sure if the stadiums/crowds on that list are necessarily intimidating so much as the teams that play in those stadiums, but it is a cool off-season slideshow.
Yeah, Alabama's place has way more to do with Alabama's reputation as a team than the actual environment in the stadium. They have improved though, but they're still not the most intimidating crowd that's for sure.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Death Valley is still louder than BDS and more hostile due to the fans imo. I went in 2016 for the Bama-LSU game and it’s probably the loudest outdoor stadium I’ve ever been in and I’ve been to pretty much all BDS games in the last 8 years and I can honestly say 2016 LSU is just louder. It’s mostly because how Tiger Stadium is built and their culture as fans. Alabama has this distinct divide between fans who really get in to games and fans that believe it’s a crime to stand up during a game. LSU has a large percent of drunk into the game fans. They are just loud.

The word “intimidating” can suggest many things other than the fans. Like that most of Alabama’s losses since 2010 have been away from BDS. I think BDS is the hardest place to win because of the team that we have there.
OK...but I wasn't talking about Death Valley.

I have no doubt the product on the field is more important than crowd noise, but I've heard many of you say the loudest you've ever heard BDS from start to finish was when Bama upset Florida with Mike Shula as HC. What, about 05 or so?

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

I have no doubt the product on the field is more important than crowd noise, but I've heard many of you say the loudest you've ever heard BDS from start to finish was when Bama upset Florida with Mike Shula as HC. What, about 05 or so?
Loudest I've ever personally heard B-D was all the way back in 2003 when we played a heck of a close game against OU - which at the time was nearly at the top of the "food chain" in college football.
BUT - Caveat - I was sitting very low in the bowl for that game, and most games since I've been in one of the decks - SO I can't claim its a fair comparison!!! :)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Loudest I've ever personally heard B-D was all the way back in 2003 when we played a heck of a close game against OU - which at the time was nearly at the top of the "food chain" in college football.
BUT - Caveat - I was sitting very low in the bowl for that game, and most games since I've been in one of the decks - SO I can't claim its a fair comparison!!! :)
I was at the Texas A&M loss, and I recall Sumlin calling it the loudest 5 minutes he'd heard or something along those lines. There was a lot of noise, and I was lower, but I guess when you're that engaged with the game it's hard to stop and rank the noise. From what I've heard, there was an LSU game some time after that, that was extremely loud. I heard the stadium was actually rocking at one point.

Generally speaking though, I think it's way more about the team on the field than the fans in the stadium when it comes to BDS. I remember going to the game @ LSU when it was Saban's first game there at Alabama. I got the tickets from someone who was literally afraid to go. Now, that's intimidating.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I didn’t go to that game so I wouldn’t know but I’ve heard similar. I think in the last 5 years the 3 loudest I’ve been to were LSU 2013, LSU 15, and Auburn 14. Wasn’t at the 2011 LSU game either so I don’t know about that.

But in general I think Bama fans aren’t as loud as LSU, UGA, or Auburn fans at their place. But then again we’ve seen waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more success and way more great moments than them. So it’s understandable. But that isn’t to diminish that BDS carries a significant home field advantage for us.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I couldn't get the slideshow to work on that site. But I agree it's often the team, rather than the stadium. I would think Coach Nick Saban would add some intimidation as well.
I couldn't either. It kept trying to plant a PUP on my computer and my AV programs were blocking that...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I didn’t go to that game so I wouldn’t know but I’ve heard similar. I think in the last 5 years the 3 loudest I’ve been to were LSU 2013, LSU 15, and Auburn 14. Wasn’t at the 2011 LSU game either.
I was at LSU in '13 and it was really loud but I sat in the student section.

I was at the '12 TAMU game when Johnny Manziel went off on us. Sat on the 40 yard line on west lower bowl. I remember the first half being quiet as we were stunned, but the second half was loud, but I honestly was so nervous that I can't remember.

I think the loudest stadium sound I've ever heard in a stadium was at Neyland Stadium in the mid 90's. Was there with a big UT fan who took me and we sat in the lower bowl. Bama was ahead in the first half, but UT came roaring back in the second half. IIRC, it was when they finally took the lead that the stadium had a sustained roar for several minutes like a jet engine. Loudest of my experience.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Whether LSU is playing Alabama or not, everyone who`s a fan of college football owes themselves at least one trip to Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night. All those drunk Cajuns shaking those purple and Gold shakers to " Tiger Bait, Tiger Bait " is real impressive. Back in `78 or `79, went to an LSU/ USCw game. Pretty much the damndest thing I`ve ever seen !

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I was at LSU in '13 and it was really loud but I sat in the student section.

I was at the '12 TAMU game when Johnny Manziel went off on us. Sat on the 40 yard line on west lower bowl. I remember the first half being quiet as we were stunned, but the second half was loud, but I honestly was so nervous that I can't remember.

I think the loudest stadium sound I've ever heard in a stadium was at Neyland Stadium in the mid 90's. Was there with a big UT fan who took me and we sat in the lower bowl. Bama was ahead in the first half, but UT came roaring back in the second half. IIRC, it was when they finally took the lead that the stadium had a sustained roar for several minutes like a jet engine. Loudest of my experience.
2013 LSU was ridiculously loud. I think most of it was because we saw Zach Mettenberger did to us the year prior. I remember that game pretty well, but i mostly remember it because one of those old fat farts tried to start a fight with my dad because my dad jumped up when OJ scored. Guy said “ the stadium has a no standing policy. Sit your [bad word] butt* down.

But again the loudest outdoor stadium game I’ve been to was LSU 2016 in Death Vally. Loudest game 2015 or 2018 Sugar Bowl, but loudest moment was Tua’s gamewinner ( in Bama section for that one)

* other word for but.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.