The Alternative Reality of Fox News

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This is a fascinating study that will probably trigger most of the board.

The tl;dr is that Fox News has created a bubble of falsehoods and tailored news coverage that insulates its viewers from reality. While other news networks have their own biases and points of emphasis, none are as flagrant, misleading, and damaging to democracy (which places power in the hands of people and assumes a shared set of facts) as Fox News.

CLICK THE LINK

Fox News and its alternate reality is by far the main source of political news for many Trump voters. (The same survey found that Clinton voters did not congregate around a single media source in the way Trump voters did.) And Trump voters who live in the Fox News reality have been shielded from the plethora of reasons Trump is embroiled in scandal. If special counsel Robert Mueller indicts Trump, it will seem unreasonable; if Trump doesn’t win reelection in 2020 by a landslide, it will seem like it’s because the FBI and mainstream media colluded to smear Trump.
I can't embed the diagrams that show which news items are over- and underemphasized on Fox compared to other networks, but it's fascinating. You'll have to click the link to interact.

The theme is tribalism, which shouldn't surprise anyone who's been paying attention. But there are differential effects reinforced by self-curated echo chambers, notably including Fox News. In 2017, self-identified conservatives are more likely to brand true stories as falsehoods if they impugn a politician ideologically aligned with themselves. Self-identified liberals do the same (which is also unacceptable) but there's a statistical difference between the two groups.

But the tribalism does cut both ways, as one would expect:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I found it necessary to read the article to understand the context of the 2nd two graphs.
The graphs represent the tendency for each group to answer a test question incorrectly when the test question assumes information violating each group's political ideology.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I found it necessary to read the article to understand the context of the 2nd two graphs.
The graphs represent the tendency for each group to answer a test question incorrectly when the test question assumes information violating each group's political ideology.
Thanks for that. I should have made it clearer.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I haven't fully read the article yet but I have an issue with even calling it "alternative reality" like when Conway called something alternative facts, there is no such thing. There is reality and a false bubble of BS there is no Alternative reality as by by being an alternative it is no longer real. We need to stop BS'ing around this and tell them what it is. Fox "news", outside of their Head Beard, Shep Smith and a few others in their token news department, is Trump State TV. They broadcast coordinated lies with the whitehouse, period

it is an alternative to reality not an alternative reality

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't watch Fox very often (I don't watch news very often I get my news from various sites mostly and npr) but I turned on Fox on a plane once out of curiosity. Good old Fox and Friends was on and every time they said CNN or NYT they would say "Fake News CNN" or "The failing NYT." And, I'm not exaggerating. It was EVERY SINGLE TIME. Such blatant propaganda.

Side note: Jon Stewart and his mountain are still my favorite commentary on Fox News.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Jimmy Carter was a guest on the late show last night - it was a great segment.

Pick and choose - that's what the remote is for......(and my favourite...the mute button!) ;)

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I haven't fully read the article yet but I have an issue with even calling it "alternative reality" like when Conway called something alternative facts, there is no such thing. There is reality and a false bubble of BS there is no Alternative reality as by by being an alternative it is no longer real. We need to stop BS'ing around this and tell them what it is. Fox "news", outside of their Head Beard, Shep Smith and a few others in their token news department, is Trump State TV. They broadcast coordinated lies with the whitehouse, period

it is an alternative to reality not an alternative reality
Would that be the same way CNN and MSNBC coordinated lies with the Obama white house?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
To be clear here. CNN and MSNBC are pretty bad especially in the Trump age IMO. That said, Fox is on its own level of misinformation and full on propaganda.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Would that be the same way CNN and MSNBC coordinated lies with the Obama white house?
no, not at all. Sure there are a few examples of CNN people like Donna Brazil doing bad things (which she should have been canned for) but I watch Fox occasionally and listen to Hannity in the car and I regularly watch Madow and there is no comparison to me made. One side glosses over things, uses positive spin, neglects to reveal full details but I've never heard Maddow outright lie like I've heard Hannity continually do. It is a false equivalence. One side, Fox, is pure party agenda and will happily lie to promote that agenda, CNN/MSNBC tell the news with a slightly liberal (CNN) to much more liberal slant(MS). MSNBC and Maddow for instance went after Obama hard for Drone attacks (as did I for instance) Hannity wouldn't criticize Trump if Trump stole his dog

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
no, not at all. Sure there are a few examples of CNN people like Donna Brazil doing bad things (which she should have been canned for) but I watch Fox occasionally and listen to Hannity in the car and I regularly watch Madow and there is no comparison to me made. One side glosses over things, uses positive spin, neglects to reveal full details but I've never heard Maddow outright lie like I've heard Hannity continually do. It is a false equivalence. One side, Fox, is pure party agenda and will happily lie to promote that agenda, CNN/MSNBC tell the news with a slightly liberal (CNN) to much more liberal slant(MS). MSNBC and Maddow for instance went after Obama hard for Drone attacks (as did I for instance) Hannity wouldn't criticize Trump if Trump stole his dog
both sides and stuff

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
watch the Young Turks on Youtube it's every bit as nauseating as fox and even they aren't near as bad
So you're saying there is a liberal leaning news thing on a level similar to Fox?!?! BOTH SIDES!!!! Checkmate Lib.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
They ALL suck....:cool:
Cop-out. You're doing exactly what the politicians you rage against want you to do.

The biggest enemy of Fox News’s alternate reality is, of course, actual reality. And while mainstream media has its own problems, professional journalists for the most part try to give an accurate rendering of that reality.

That’s why Trump’s former chief strategist Steve Bannon said, “The media here is the opposition party.” It’s why Fox News’s top pundit Sean Hannity has critiqued “mainstream media” more than 350 times in the past year, according to an analysis of transcript data. The pro-Trump media giant Sinclair Broadcasting Group recently forced its local anchors to read a promo that said, “We are concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one-sided news stories plaguing our country.”

Trump has filled in the subtext.

When journalist Lesley Stahl, in a private conversation with the president, asked Trump why he attacks the media so much, Trump reportedly said, “I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so that when you write negative stories about me, no one will believe you.”

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.