Question: Do You Have A Pet Peeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Exactly, I was thinking about posting this as a pet peeve. Having to put in writing when giving someone a "verbal warning". I too was in a position where I had to discipline workers using an escalating system starting with "verbal warning". The problem with this is, you have to put the "verbal warning" in writing before you move up to "written warning". So what you have is two written warnings. One is called verbal and the other is called written. 😖
An undocumented "verbal warning" can be easily disputed by an employee as "I don't remember that." But documenting that you gave them a "verbal warning" cannot. In most cases "verbal warnings" are not permanent to your file and depending on the company's policy, are only applicable between six months to a year, then removed from your file. Once you proceed from a "written verbal warning" it is no longer a "warning". The employee has been "written up" and has now put into action the progressive discipline policy of the company. The initial "write up" is a part of the employee's permanent file.

I see a "written verbal warning" as a "red light" on a traffic light. It sends a clear message to the employee that their behavior has reached a point where if they continue the behavior aka "run the red light" they will be "issued a ticket". It's really to help the employee to keep from getting something potentially damaging to their career in their employee file.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
An undocumented "verbal warning" can be easily disputed by an employee as "I don't remember that." But documenting that you gave them a "verbal warning" cannot. In most cases "verbal warnings" are not permanent to your file and depending on the company's policy, are only applicable between six months to a year, then removed from your file. Once you proceed from a "written verbal warning" it is no longer a "warning". The employee has been "written up" and has now put into action the progressive discipline policy of the company. The initial "write up" is a part of the employee's permanent file.

I see a "written verbal warning" as a "red light" on a traffic light. It sends a clear message to the employee that their behavior has reached a point where if they continue the behavior aka "run the red light" they will be "issued a ticket". It's really to help the employee to keep from getting something potentially damaging to their career in their employee file.
OK all that explains the process.....and I thank you for that.

But it makes me wonder why even use the word "verbal" when you could (for example) just call it (something like) "warning - level 1".

I realize that policies are going to be traditional in nature - "We've always done it this way - and used this terminology."

FWIW, I was in corporate sales for 10 years and know all too well how corporations work, so I've seen some real crazy stuff! Just like anyone else who worked in a corporate environment.

Reactions: Tenntiderman

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I have no clue to be honest. Maybe to indicate that the nature of the physical documentation was nothing more serious than a "verbal" warning. 🤷‍♂️

OK all that explains the process.....and I thank you for that.

But it makes me wonder why even use the word "verbal" when you could (for example) just call it (something like) "warning - level 1".

I realize that policies are going to be traditional in nature - "We've always done it this way - and used this terminology."

FWIW, I was in corporate sales for 10 years and know all too well how corporations work, so I've seen some real crazy stuff! Just like anyone else who worked in a corporate environment.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Where I worked it was part of the union contract and like others have mentioned, you better get the verbal warning in writing. So you would have the employee sign the verbal warning and if it happened again, sign the written warning. Just putting them on double secret probation would have been much easier. :D

Reactions: seebell and Bazza

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I've made it completely clear to co-workers to give me to 8:30 before coming into my office for "questions for the day". This allows me to get in my office, get my computer turned on and get "settled". It also allows me to answer emails, return phone calls, drink my coffee etc.

But as in any office or group of people, there's always going to one jackass who just doesn't care and is going to do what they want, regardless of how professional and/or nice you put it. Even after direct reminders, they completely dismiss and continue doing what you've repeatedly asked them not to do.

I came in this morning knowing I had to return a call to an external auditor regarding our yearly audit. I shut my door, cut my computer on, opened up email etc. I pulled out my file regarding the audit and called the auditor. As I'm about 10 minutes into the conversation someone knocks on my door. I do not answer and the knocking gets louder. I still do not answer because in any professional office that means the person is either on the phone or doesn't want to be bothered. The knocking continues to get louder, then the employee just opens the door and walks in while I'm in the middle of my phone call with the auditor.

So, I took the advice of my dad who used to say when someone didn't seem to "get" what you were saying, "You have to speak their language." So for the first time in over 10 years, I gave an employee a "written verbal warning" and put it in her file. She was stunned and very upset. I told her that of all the employees who have respected my morning request, she has been THE ONLY one to not respect it, regardless of numerous friendly reminders via email or verbally. I told her I was on a very important phone call and had my door shut for a reason. So for her to ignore that, along with not being told to enter, is something I've got to address more formally considering the circumstances. I'm sure she will go to HR but the emails and what happened this morning will be more than enough to justify a written verbal warning. Happy Wednesday!!!! LOL!
Was this Queen?

• Haha
Reactions: Bamabuzzard

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
No problem.

You go through a checkout, say thank you to the cashier, and the reply is "no problem".

I expect one day I'll go all R Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket on one of these slacker replies and explain why it's not a problem.

• Thank You
Reactions: Toddrn

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Walking in to a haircut place that has a sign welcoming walk-ins and immediately being asked if I chkd in online. I go in the door.....I say..."Yes! I did!". I get a blank stare...and "Did you check in online?"

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Use of the words "individual" and "utilize.

"We have an individual in custody" why not "a person in custody"?

"we will utilize every means at our disposal" why not "we will use"?
The words 'too' and 'also' seemed to have retired by news media. The words 'as well' are preferred it appears to me. Not improper...just a thing I have noticed.

Reactions: seebell

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I hate it when someone doesn't pick up their feet when they walk. They just let their feet slide and the noise it makes drives me crazy. And believe me some days that is a short trip.

Reactions: Tenntiderman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.