Question: Do You Have A Pet Peeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Bazz mentioned Nextdoor and it got me thinking. I loathe the way people behave on neighborhood/community pages on facebook. If there's an accident, people are trying to be the one to break the news, then they post details. They get scolded for posting details of the accident where relatives may end up finding out a loved one may be hurt, then act like a fool claiming they did nothing wrong. We've had a situation where someone was killed and folks knew it was bad since the road was completely shut down for hours, but didn't know there was a death. Once the details of a death came out folks wanted to know "who" but no one was naming names out of respect for the family. One person got belligerent with one of the VFD folks that worked the wreck, demanding to know who it was since they knew people that drove that road daily and they had a right to know. (HEY STUPID, CALL EM IF THEY ANSWER THE PHONE IT AIN'T THEM!)
Preach it, brother! :wink:

These platforms really bring out the worst in people sometimes. Well....a LOT of times, actually.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Smokers.

Today I pull up to my bank's drive through.

Four lanes.

Three have vehicles one deep.

One lane open...far side. (my fav.)

Some dOOd is standing on the concrete island where the box is that sends the tube you put your deposits in smoking a cig.

My island.

Actually hanging over into my lane.

I carefully pull up and he doesn't move.

My window is down and as I go by.

I look at him and shake my head.

He says "What?"

I say "Dirty, nasty, stinky, cig smoke...that's what."

He says "Oh man...are you kidding me?"

I say "Why don't you get back inside your vehicle - and keep the windows up."

He replies "I just got kicked out of there!"

I said "Well at least get away from me...preferably downwind somewhere!"

:rolleyes:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Smokers.

Today I pull up to my bank's drive through.

Four lanes.

Three have vehicles one deep.

One lane open...far side. (my fav.)

Some dOOd is standing on the concrete island where the box is that sends the tube you put your deposits in smoking a cig.

My island.

Actually hanging over into my lane.

I carefully pull up and he doesn't move.

My window is down and as I go by.

I look at him and shake my head.

He says "What?"

I say "Dirty, nasty, stinky, cig smoke...that's what."

He says "Oh man...are you kidding me?"

I say "Why don't you get back inside your vehicle - and keep the windows up."

He replies "I just got kicked out of there!"

I said "Well at least get away from me...preferably downwind somewhere!"

:rolleyes:
I actually had a former cigarette smoker tell me that he had a constitutional right to smoke inside. I said, "No...you have no right to pollute the air that others breathe." He had never thought of that...amazing.

Reactions: Bazza and seebell

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Of my list of social pet peeves, I guess I'm just never going to let go of this one. Adults allowing kids to be involved in adult conversations. The past two weekends we've been either out of town visiting family or at a friends house. In both occasions there's been on going situations where the adults are sitting either in the living room or on the back porch talking, and either a 9 year old or a 7 year old is so interested in the conversation that they refuse to go outside or in the other room where the other kids are and play.

The frustrating part is, the parents don't say anything. They just let the kid sit there the entire time. Granted, it's not like we're using bad language, or discussing something as sensitive as child molestation. But when you've got a kid trying to actively participate in a conversation of 40+ year old adults. I lose interest very fast not to mention I was raised (and this is probably the biggest reason I have an issue with it) that kids needed to go play with kids and leave the adults to themselves to talk.

Reactions: Bazza

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Of my list of social pet peeves, I guess I'm just never going to let go of this one. Adults allowing kids to be involved in adult conversations. The past two weekends we've been either out of town visiting family or at a friends house. In both occasions there's been on going situations where the adults are sitting either in the living room or on the back porch talking, and either a 9 year old or a 7 year old is so interested in the conversation that they refuse to go outside or in the other room where the other kids are and play. The frustrating part is, the parents don't say anything. They just let the kid sit there the entire time. Granted, it's not like we're using bad language, or discussing something as sensitive as child molestation. But when you've got a kid trying to actively participate in a conversation of 40+ year old adults. I lose interest very fast not to mention I was raised (and this is probably the biggest reason I have an issue with it) that kids needed to go play with kids and leave the adults to themselves to talk.
I would say that about half of my friends with children did this when I was your age. I wasn't one of those kids, so I don't know why they were interested in things which did not interest me at that age. I never changed my discussion because the kids stayed. Figured it was up to the parents to decide what was appropriate for their child, and I wasn't going to censor myself.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
The #1 responsibility of a human is to be a good parent, once they bring a child into the world.

Unfortunately - there are those who do not understand this responsibility and others of course who do not know how.

I try not to judge, but there's no denying when you see the fruit of the tree, where the fault lies.

• Thank You
Reactions: crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Of my list of social pet peeves, I guess I'm just never going to let go of this one. Adults allowing kids to interrupt adult conversations.
This is mine - we have several friends who are younger than us, they will allow their small kids to interrupt any conversation the parents are involved with with what dang-fool thought comes across the child's mind. It's maddening trying to hold a conversation with them. Makes me want to smack the crap out of their kid.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I would say that about half of my friends with children did this when I was your age. I wasn't one of those kids, so I don't know why they were interested in things which did not interest me at that age. I never changed my discussion because the kids stayed. Figured it was up to the parents to decide what was appropriate for their child, and I wasn't going to censor myself.
Yeah, @Bamabuzzard - next time just start using the f-bomb like a comma. :ROFLMAO:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Before I post what has now become a new pet peeve of mine. I have no problem admitting I am not that big of a stickler when it comes to grammar and spelling on informal social media platforms such as facebook or message boards. I've committed my share of grammatical and spelling sins so I am not without sin in this department. Heck, I'll make some in this post complaining about it. LOL!

However, when it gets to the point that it bothers me. It's gotten bad. In recent weeks I've noticed GROSSLY misspelled and grammatical errors not only in things as informal as memes. But social media advertisements by high school teachers and public schools?! I saw one this morning from a high school teacher who was representing her school, that I honestly thought was a joke. But as I read the comments realized it wasn't a joke. Just last week a former high school classmate of mine was just hired as a teacher/coach at a middle school. He gets on facebook "repping" his new school and lord have mercy jesus I cringed in embarrassment for him as I read it. A hot grammatical/spelling mess. I'm noticing more and more of the same stuff in online articles from sites like ESPN and MLB. Again, I'm not without sin in this department. But good night alive are we devolving?

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
People driving in near dark (and somrtimes dark) without lights.

Geez . . .
People do not realize how dangerous this is or they do not care. Most vehicles on the roads now have daytime headlights then when it starts getting dark it automatically switches to nigh time lights. But there are still a lot of vehicles on the road that do not.

Reactions: B1GTide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have a lot of them, but in participating in this thread, I’ve come to realize that they’re all really the same thing — obliviousness, real or faked.

There are lots of symptoms — people standing in the middle of the grocery aisle, staring at a phone, blocking all traffic both way. People recently stopping about four steps inside a grocery store, spending 30+ seconds getting their bearings, all the while blocking all incoming traffic.

Back when we could actually go out, women placing handbags on barstools in a crowded room, effectively taking up two stools. If two women are yapping, it’s four.

More lately, people talking loudly, throwing spit everywhere, while not wearing a mask.

But it all comes back to one thing: Obliviots running their own lives to their sole convenience without a single thought of their effect on anyone else.

Without exception, if called on their behavior in even the most unobtrusive way, they act as if the whole thing is a gob-smacking surprise, or get really defensive and accuse you of being the jerk.

At best, they’re plain stupid. At worst, they understand precisely what they’re doing....they just don’t give a [insert non-TF word(s) here] about anybody else.

Given the world in which we live, I cynically think the latter.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Just last week a former high school classmate of mine was just hired as a teacher/coach at a middle school. He gets on facebook "repping" his new school and lord have mercy jesus I cringed in embarrassment for him as I read it. A hot grammatical/spelling mess. I'm noticing more and more of the same stuff in online articles from sites like ESPN and MLB. Again, I'm not without sin in this department. But good night alive are we devolving?
Yes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bamabuzzard

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Yeah, @Bamabuzzard - next time just start using the f-bomb like a comma. :ROFLMAO:
Speaking of that, I've recently shared with my kids (using *BLEEEP!* instead of F*) about a guy I worked with in consulting who literally couldn't say his name w/o dropping it ( as in "Hello, I'm John *F*'n* Brown). He was about 3 levels senior to me. One day we were working in the same room and he let out a string of expletives that made my ears ring. I turned around and told him he had to either stop talking or leave the room because I had reached my year's-quota-worth of hearing that word in the last 5 minutes. He looked stunned and said, "What'd'I say?"

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: crimsonaudio

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
A pet peeve? Surely you jest.

I'll just give the most recent violation: a small group of people who expand unnecessarily to fill the entire width of a hallway while also walking slower than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.