Question: Do You Have A Pet Peeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
My biggest pet peeve right now is not knowing how to post a picture in a thread on Tidefans. I need help, but make it simple. Thanks. BTW I have read the Q&A on here and it did not help.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
My biggest pet peeve right now is not knowing how to post a picture in a thread on Tidefans. I need help, but make it simple. Thanks. BTW I have read the Q&A on here and it did not help.
I just copy and paste. Click on the picture, on FaceBook for example, and the pic will open in a new window. Then copy and paste

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: Padreruf

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
People being willfully oblivious to the effects of their self-absorbed behavior.

Examples are legion, but include:

- Parking a grocery cart in the middle of the aisle while either making a choice, or worse, leaving it there while the shopper goes elsewhere in search of God-knows-what.

- Women, usually young ones, guilty here....sitting a purse on a barstool, and acting surprised when another patron points out that the place is packed and said barstool is needed for other patrons. Especially galling when it's two women together, taking up two extra stools with their oblivious behavior. They're either too stupid to notice, or too selfish to care. Take your pick.

- Parking a car in a driving lane during rush hour, when there are actual parking spaces available. Take a ride down 4th Avenue North in Birmingham, pretty much any weekday between 5PM and 6PM.

- Idiots opening a car door into oncoming traffic, then putzing around with the contents of their vehicle, all the while obstructing said traffic by hanging their doors and butts into the path. For the sake of all that is holy, do your putzing on the sidewalk side. How hard is this, people?

To be clear, I believe most people who do this are perfectly aware of what they're doing. When called on it, they usually claim to have been unaware. That's [garbage]. They know. They just don't care. And when confronted, the standard defense is to claim the offended party is the jerk. Best defense is an aggressive offense, I guess.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
^^^
Similar: In a packed gym at prime time, the self-absorbed nitwits who set up a homestead on a machine, carrying on text or phone conversations, oblivious to the the growing crowd who actually want to work out.

To the person who asks to use the equipment for physical fitness as opposed to resting place or social hub. the reply is usually "I'm using this machine."

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I've got so many regarding automobile drivers that I probably should never get in a car again. Most, are derived from folks not obeying the traffic laws. It's pretty simple, if everyone new the rules-of-the-road and tried to follow them, driving would go along so much smoother.

Here are a few; some have been mentioned by others:

Stopping past the stop bar at intersections.

Turning into the incorrect lane (e.g. making a right turn into the complete inside lane when turning onto a 6-lane road or turning into the outside lane when turning left).

Chunking a cigarette butt out on the street.

Creating lanes where they don't exist; especially at an intersection on a 2-lane road.

Speeding really, really fast in a lane on the interstate next to a lane that is moving at a stop-and-go pace.

At a 2-way stop sign in which crossing traffic does not stop, people turning right or going straight have the right-of-way as long as they have come to a complete stop and the person opposing them is turning left and has not entered the intersection. I deal with this almost on a daily basis down the road from my house; I'm turning left and the person across from me will not go when clear because I was at the intersection first. I can't go because they are going straight and I have to yield to them. We wait until more cross traffic shows up and then wait some more...or...the person turning right has not stopped and they attempt to roll through their right turn while I'm entering the intersection after I have stopped.

Not using turn signals when changing lanes; not using turn signals when turning.

People zooming up on me and cutting around me when I'm blindly backing out of a parking space. They can see my car moving out and can see that my line of sight to them is blocked. There may be a van or tall pickup truck next to me and I have to back halfway out of the space before I can get a good view down the lane. This is one instance when a courtesy and awareness goes a long way.

Excessive speeding for the situation (I get to determine what is excessive).

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
  • People in a cubicle who get louder and louder on conference calls, especially the loud monotones. Go get a freaking conf room if you have to camp out on a conference call for an hour.
  • Lit cigarette tossed out of car windows.
  • People who block the aisle with their grocery cart and chit-chat with others.
  • People who park their car on the street when there is plenty of room in the driveway, especially when there is a snow emergency.
  • People who tailgate on a city street when I'm doing the speed limit and there is a car in the other lane preventing me from changing lanes. Tailgating alone is annoying.
  • People who speed on a city street that has stop lights. All you are doing is making sure you get to the next light before me. You aren't making any time on your commute. Those lights are timed.
  • Police who go out of their way to try to write tickets. There is a stretch of road here where they will change lanes, speed up and slow down, get in your blind spot.....then flip the blue lights on when you put on your signal and change lanes with them sitting in your blind spot.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
day-day;3239727} said:
Excessive speeding for the situation (I get to determine what is excessive).
I find I have to laugh at my own hypocrisy on this one. Admittedly I have a lead foot, occasionally even to the point of being obnoxious. I'm very aware of it though, so I try to tone it down. I'd say I average driving about 8-12mph over on most roads yet I always find myself hardcore judging anyone driving faster than me no matter the speed I'm going. Especially if I'm driving the interstate cruising 70mph in a 55 and someone blows past doing 80mph. I've made comments to passengers that "me driving 15 over obviously isn't good enough for that jerkwad." Then 20 minutes later I'm the one rolling along at 85.

I forget where I heard it, but I heard once; "It doesn't matter what speed you are going, anyone driving faster than you is a reckless idiot and anyone driving slower than you is an incompetent moron." I'm the poster child of that quote.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I forget where I heard it, but I heard once; "It doesn't matter what speed you are going, anyone driving faster than you is a reckless idiot and anyone driving slower than you is an incompetent moron." I'm the poster child of that quote.
An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks more than you do.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Some more, still dealing with drivers.

People creating a jam while backing, readjusting, and backing some more to back into a parking space when there’s ample room to maneuver and pull in front first. There are times when backing in is the best move due to the vehicle size and constricted areas but what is the fascination with having a car backed in to a spot? There’s almost always more room for backing out into a lane than backing into a spot. I also get backing in if there will be a mass exodus at the end of some event

People who park on, very close, or across marked parking lines. I will back in when I get the opportunity to put my passenger side next to the driver’s door if they are on or across the line

Last edited:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
People creating a jam while backing, readjusting, and backing some more to back into a parking space when there’s ample room to maneuver and pull in front first. There are times when backing in is the best move due to the vehicle size and constricted areas but what is the fascination with having a car backed in to a spot? There’s almost always more room for backing out into a lane than backing into a spot. I also get backing in if there will be a mass exodus at the end of some event
This is why:

People zooming up on me and cutting around me when I'm blindly backing out of a parking space. They can see my car moving out and can see that my line of sight to them is blocked. There may be a van or tall pickup truck next to me and I have to back halfway out of the space before I can get a good view down the lane.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This did cross my mind. Doesn't help me and maybe not so much for others. Happens to me if I'm pulling out or backing out. My car sits pretty low and more of my front is out past a truck or van before I can see oncoming cars.
I back in every chance I get. But I never hold anyone up in doing so because I always take measures to ensure that doesn't happen. Timing is everything and sometimes you just have to be patient. Most of life is like that too, philosophically speaking.

In thinking about this, the one exception is if I have to load or unload my truck in such a way as it impacts my decision. And also at Publix, I have a certain spot I prefer to park in and do it nose first. It's way out away from everyone else and next to a cart corral. Parking next to the corral allows me to push my cart into it and unload directly into my truck without any further movements. Also, I like parking away from everyone else so I don't feel like just another cow or sheep in the herd.

My truck is an extended cab Silverado with a full size (8') bed so it has a bit of length to it. 13 years with no parking lot incidents knock on wood.....

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
I back in every chance I get. But I never hold anyone up in doing so because I always take measures to ensure that doesn't happen. Timing is everything and sometimes you just have to be patient. Most of life is like that too, philosophically speaking.

In thinking about this, the one exception is if I have to load or unload my truck in such a way as it impacts my decision. And also at Publix, I have a certain spot I prefer to park in and do it nose first. It's way out away from everyone else and next to a cart corral. Parking next to the corral allows me to push my cart into it and unload directly into my truck without any further movements. Also, I like parking away from everyone else so I don't feel like just another cow or sheep in the herd.

My truck is an extended cab Silverado with a full size (8') bed so it has a bit of length to it. 13 years with no parking lot incidents knock on wood.....
If you and cbi1972 keep this up, I'll have less items to go crazy about. Maybe I can ward off high blood pressure and grey hair a little longer.:)

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Having a conversation with someone when they get a notification on their phone and look down to read it AND interact with it.

I get glancing briefly at it to see what the nature of the notification is, but I have that issue with my friends. They do it to one another and do it to me. They get a text and then proceed to look away and type on their phone right in the middle of me or someone else speaking. I just stop talking the moment they look away. So rude.

Reactions: Bazza

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
People who talk during movies in the theater. Went to go see the newest Incredibles movie and a guy next to us apparently thought everyone in the theatre wanted his commentary and opinion on the film. Not only that, he was somehow convinced that interlacing his commentary with swears in a kids movie filled with families and young children was just as acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.