SEC Presidents Pass New Rules at Conference Meetings in Destin

BigGunn

1st Team
Dec 5, 2004
Pace, Florida
It also makes the path as smooth as butter for lesser programs to develop players into what is ultimately a football version of “one and done.” If you are good enough then the path is up to you: Take a few extra classes. Graduate with eligibility remaining. Go to Alabama. Play one year. Go to the NFL.
Why do you think one could come to Bama and beat out of our guys and play one year. Tough sledding for any one, I don't care how good they were at the other school.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Why do you think one could come to Bama and beat out of our guys and play one year. Tough sledding for any one, I don't care how good they were at the other school.
We can ask Richard Mullaney and Deiter about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Remember that time when offenses were allowed to start doing things really fast, so that other teams would gain an advantage over the oppressively-dominating defensive-oriented Nick Saban-coached Alabama monster by not allowing them to substitute personnel packages?

Remember how Coach Saban didn't like the rule, voiced his opinion about it, and then shrugged with that look on his face that was interpreted as a look of "defeat" by all of his haters?

Remember how he then rolled over, a defeated man, and DIDN'T use the same rule (that was supposed to oppress his team) to his own advantage...?

yea...................me either!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
This pleases me.

CNS will take full advantage of this rule. He will pick and choose his targets based on roster needs then work his magic to get them on campus. He's the best roster manager in the game. He's the best coach in the game. He's the best CEO in the game. Sometimes 3 star players don't show their full potential until they've had opportunity to grow and mature a little. "Late Bloomers" as CNS calls them. As others have stated this decision will make the rest of the league go begging for a redo in 2-3 years.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Two changes that we are likely to see as a result of this:

* Coaches will be less inclined to redshirt players. Today coaches try not to spot play a true freshman. They generally only see the field if they can contribute in a substantial way. This changes that calculation.
* Coaches will likely push less to get players to graduate early. If it takes 4 years to graduate, the player stays for 4 years.
* Combined, these two things lock a player in at a school through his entire eligibility unless the player is willing to go through the old transfer process.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I wonder if this rule would impact Jalen's thinking at all. This rule gives him a few more options. If he doesn't get the starting job, he could stay his junior year, graduate in December, and now have no limits on his transfer options.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
So, a couple of questions:

1. Can coaches contact graduates with eligibility about transferring?

2. How does this affect scholarship numbers?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, a couple of questions:

1. Can coaches contact graduates with eligibility about transferring?

2. How does this affect scholarship numbers?
As I understand it, coaches cannot contact them until they have been released. I assume the same applies to scholarships - they remain under scholarship until released, but the limits will remain the same.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

SEC bylaw changes favor transfers, empower student-athletes

Alabama coach Nick Saban was the most notable opponent to the new provision, taking a stance against what he repeatedly referred to as “free agency,” even though he later claimed his program stood to benefit.

Tennessee coach Jeremy Pruitt and athletic director Phillip Fulmer were among the first to publicly debate Saban’s stance on the issue, and several other football coaches and athletic directors fell in line.

The NCAA’s transfer working group will meet in Indianapolis on June 11 and is expected to present and approve a proposal which, according to an Associated Press report, is designed to “end the practice of schools and coaches blocking an athlete from transferring or dictating where an athlete can go.”
Once that proposal is passed, the SEC’s new bylaw will take effect, Sankey essentially indicated.

Other rulings from SEC Spring Meetings:

• Visiting prospects will now receive five complimentary tickets for home athletics events [down from 6]
• Allow on-campus athletic evaluation of basketball prospects, in-line with the NCAA’s permissive legislation
• Baseball teams will be allowed two fall practice against non-conference opponents
• Softball and baseball increase, from 3 to 4, number of caches who may be employed and recruit off campus
• SEC baseball has approved centralized replay, with officials in Birmingham available for reviews
• No football staff members, coaching or otherwise, can be involved with football clubs involving prospects [7-on-7]
• Artificial noise shall not be used from time center touches the ball [previously ‘took his place over ball’]

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Also from the linked story:

Most notably, grad transfers and players on teams facing postseason bans will be able to transfer in-conference and be eligible immediately. Previously, provisions were in place for those student-athletes to either be granted a release from the school or sit out a year.
My thoughts.......

Like Crimsonaudio said....this is only for graduates.....not underclassmen. So it's not going to be some free for all.

And also, if a program is facing postseason bans, the players are not stuck at the program. Which I think is fair, given that in most cases it's not a player's fault some staff member screws up.

I also don't see this being a big deal in the big picture of things. There will be situations where programs benefit, sure....but not to the degree it makes or breaks a season.

Then specifically there's this, which will help Florida:

New SEC rule grants former Ole Miss WR Van Jefferson immediate eligibility at Florida

Six other former Ole Miss players have already been granted immediate eligibility because of the school’s standing with the NCAA, although none transferred to SEC schools.

Jefferson recorded 91 receptions for 999 yards and 5 touchdowns during his career at Ole Miss.
The 6-foot-2, 218-pound redshirt junior ranked as the No. 11 wide receiver, No. 3 player from the state of Tennessee and the No. 106 overall prospect for the 2015 national recruiting cycle, according to the 247Sports composite.
Woohoo! :p

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
• Artificial noise shall not be used from time center touches the ball [previously ‘took his place over ball’]

This one has been on the books for decades and is ignored by every program. :rolleyes:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Also from the linked story:

My thoughts.......

Like Crimsonaudio said....this is only for graduates.....not underclassmen. So it's not going to be some free for all.

And also, if a program is facing postseason bans, the players are not stuck at the program. Which I think is fair, given that in most cases it's not a player's fault some staff member screws up.

I also don't see this being a big deal in the big picture of things. There will be situations where programs benefit, sure....but not to the degree it makes or breaks a season.

Then specifically there's this, which will help Florida:

New SEC rule grants former Ole Miss WR Van Jefferson immediate eligibility at Florida

Woohoo! :p
This is a slippery slope. It wont end until players get the freedom to transfer anywhere anytime. All of the envy and spite everyone has for Coach Saban is going to ruin college football and it will spread to other sports.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
This is a slippery slope. It wont end until players get the freedom to transfer anywhere anytime. All of the envy and spite everyone has for Coach Saban is going to ruin college football and it will spread to other sports.
Yeah but we need to get instant reply in softball first, don't you agree? :wink:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I really hate "slippery slope" arguments. If this is a good rule, it is a good rule. If it is not, it is not.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Its human nature to never be satisfied, everyone wants more. I don't believe this was voted on to help players, but as another way to get to Saban.
I get that some think that this is a bad rule. I really don't have a problem with that and understand their rationale. There is plenty of room for debate there. But the slippery slope stuff has no place in that discussion, IMO. It is a logical fallacy as it assumes a huge gap will be bridged by this single rule change. We may some day get to true "free agency" in college football, but it would require many, many more things to happen to ever be considered.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

This one has been on the books for decades and is ignored by every program. :rolleyes:
I read about this yesterday. Why even have this rule at all? Artificial noise makers were completely banned in the 90's and Miss State fans used them anyway without penalty.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
As I understand it, coaches cannot contact them until they have been released. I assume the same applies to scholarships - they remain under scholarship until released, but the limits will remain the same.
Smith made it clear he was talking to a Georgia coach (Tucker) prior to trying to transfer there. Or does the release and the block that Alabama had in place not equate to the same thing?

I really hate "slippery slope" arguments. If this is a good rule, it is a good rule. If it is not, it is not.
It isn't a good rule though. I mean Saban explained it, it's a commitment and should have consequences. This just erodes that.

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
I'm sorry but this rule completely ignores the condition of allowing the new team to grill the transfer to glean any information on plays, personnel changes, etc. Any team should have the right to restrict transfers from going to any future opponent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.