SEC Presidents Pass New Rules at Conference Meetings in Destin

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Know Saban has a GA or analyst going through every possible SEC player to see who could make a difference.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Know Saban has a GA or analyst going through every possible SEC player to see who could make a difference.
Yup. Told a friend the other day that this change (assumed it was coming) will disproportionately benefit the powerhouse programs. Pretty soon people will be complaining that Saban is getting all the good, experienced players, too...

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Well, since UGA proposed it, it’s time to start mining them for transfers

I guess they think this will dilute Saban’s classes enough to slow him down.......time to tamper a little, since others can with impunity

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I really do think this will be a decision the other schools regret later. They are making it now because Saban doesn't want it, and think it will hurt him. But he does everything better than any of them already. Now you are going to give him the okay to poach grad transfers within the conference, and don't think he will do that better than you can too? I call this a lack of thinking things through on their end, but I suppose I am glad that some players who really do have a genuine need to place themselves in a different situation can do so without it hurting their eligibility. But, mark my words, one day Saban is going to make other schools say "We really wish we hadn't passed that rule now," or look for new ways to prevent him from doing it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is going to help Alabama far more than any other program in the conference.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
But, mark my words, one day Saban is going to make other schools say "We really wish we hadn't passed that rule now," or look for new ways to prevent him from doing it.
If they aren't already saying that. Individuals involved behind the scenes have to foresee this as a possibility. So for fun, who is going to be a good first target?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
This is going to help Alabama far more than any other program in the conference.
Not so sure of that, BIG. Kids at schools like ours who never see the field now have a direct path to other high-profile SEC programs where playing time will be easier to get. I doubt we lose any starters, but this rule makes transferring a lot smoother for our backups.

As for attracting players from other schools ... If you're a stud at, say, Tennessee or either of the Mississippi schools, do you really want to spend your last year of eligibility fighting every minute for playing time at UA?

This will be interesting to watch.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not so sure of that, BIG. Kids at schools like ours who never see the field now have a direct path to other high-profile SEC schools. I doubt we lose any starters, but this rule makes transferring a lot smoother for our backups.
Only if they've already graduated.

Also keep in mind that this rule only affects transfers to other SEC schools.

As for attracting players from other schools ... If you're a stud at, say, Tennessee or either of the Mississippi schools, do you really want to spend your last year of eligibility fighting every minute for playing time at UA?
If you wish to improve your draft chances and get a ring, then yes.

There's a reason Alabama's promotions focus on NFL drafts / earnings and rings...

Just ask Jake Coker.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
CA, I get that, and there will be times when Alabama has a need at a particular position -- hello Jake! But because of our unmatched depth -- and the pure numbers of good players we have who get relatively little playing time -- more of our reserves might be tempted to jump for a starting position in the SEC to improve their NFL odds. I don't think the reverse will be happening nearly as much because the competition at UA is just too tough.

All speculation, of course.

Only if they've already graduated.

Also keep in mind that this rule only affects transfers to other SEC schools.
If you wish to improve your draft chances and get a ring, then yes.
There's a reason Alabama's promotions focus on NFL drafts / earnings and rings...

Just ask Jake Coker.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
Not so sure of that, BIG. Kids at schools like ours who never see the field now have a direct path to other high-profile SEC schools. I doubt we lose any starters, but this rule makes transferring a lot smoother for our backups.

This will be interesting to watch.
It also makes the path as smooth as butter for lesser programs to develop players into what is ultimately a football version of “one and done.” If you are good enough then the path is up to you: Take a few extra classes. Graduate with eligibility remaining. Go to Alabama. Play one year. Go to the NFL.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
I really do think this will be a decision the other schools regret later. They are making it now because Saban doesn't want it, and think it will hurt him. But he does everything better than any of them already. Now you are going to give him the okay to poach grad transfers within the conference, and don't think he will do that better than you can too? I call this a lack of thinking things through on their end, but I suppose I am glad that some players who really do have a genuine need to place themselves in a different situation can do so without it hurting their eligibility. But, mark my words, one day Saban is going to make other schools say "We really wish we hadn't passed that rule now," or look for new ways to prevent him from doing it.
* This *

ShoalCreek

Suspended
Feb 28, 2018
Great to the graduate student-athletes finally get a break, good rule. Perhaps not as much emphasis at UA on taking as many hours now as in the past for kids to graduate early.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.