Bama Commits at Elite 11-My Assessment From the Field Today - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bodhisattva's Avatar

Re: Bama Commits at Elite 11-My Assessment From the Field Today

Rattler. Cool name for a QB.
    Bodhi

Lily (age 6): Daddy, I know what I want to be when I grow up: an artist.
    Bodhi (internally groaning): Yeah? What kind of artist?
    Lily: A balloon animal artist!
    Bodhi (face palm)

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Bo Nix and Spencer Rattler doing work.
    Yeah, but we must be careful not to read too much into it *cough* Sean White *cough*.
    Last edited by AUDub; June 3rd, 2018 at 02:55 PM.
    Just a barner.

My wife asked me the other day: "Are you even listening to me?"

Which is a really weird way to start a conversation.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Yeah, but we must be careful not to read too much into it *cough* Sean White *cough*.
    Yea that's very true. Plenty of guys flame out after the Elite 11. (Blake Barnett).

It's kind of amazing how hard it is to scout QBs

FB|BB Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    Yea that's very true. Plenty of guys flame out after the Elite 11. (Blake Barnett).

It's kind of amazing how hard it is to scout QBs
    I'm a bit out of my element here, but my guess is that's because success at the QB position is a function of so much more than physical talent.

Balancing risk-reward, processing defenses, making the right adjustments, commanding the respect of the team, and doing all that every 30-45 seconds or so, 70+ times a game. And doing all that in your late teens / early 20s.

To be a championship QB, the physical talent is a 100% requirement. But it is nowhere near sufficient.

Put another way, you must have the athletic ability. But even if you do, that only gets you in the conversation. There are lots more tests to come, and they don't have anything to do with release times or ball velocity or 40 yard dash times.

I think this is where the problem comes. Coaches can measure a lot of things. But they can't measure the intangibles that make the difference between, say, Blake Barnett and Andrew Luck at the same point in his career.

The only position harder to predict is placekicker. And we know a lot about both.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Based on the clips that I have seen and what I have read, I expect Taulia to make it through, but not Tyson. We will find out tomorrow.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    I'm a bit out of my element here, but my guess is that's because success at the QB position is a function of so much more than physical talent.

Balancing risk-reward, processing defenses, making the right adjustments, commanding the respect of the team, and doing all that every 30-45 seconds or so, 70+ times a game. And doing all that in your late teens / early 20s.

To be a championship QB, the physical talent is a 100% requirement. But it is nowhere near sufficient.

Put another way, you must have the athletic ability. But even if you do, that only gets you in the conversation. There are lots more tests to come, and they don't have anything to do with release times or ball velocity or 40 yard dash times.

I think this is where the problem comes. Coaches can measure a lot of things. But they can't measure the intangibles that make the difference between, say, Blake Barnett and Andrew Luck at the same point in his career.

The only position harder to predict is placekicker. And we know a lot about both.
    Very well said. When the "lights are on" means a lot for all positions, but none compare to QB. In fact, it's not just live fire, it's live fire when the cameras are on. Some kids shine in practice, but shrink at game time. That's one reason why coaches sometimes look like idiots - it can simply be the difference between a gamer and a practice player. The courage it takes to play sports on the big stage is vastly underrated.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    Very well said. When the "lights are on" means a lot for all positions, but none compare to QB. In fact, it's not just live fire, it's live fire when the cameras are on. Some kids shine in practice, but shrink at game time. That's one reason why coaches sometimes look like idiots - it can simply be the difference between a gamer and a practice player. The courage it takes to play sports on the big stage is vastly underrated.
    Well, the lights don't get brighter than they did last January and we saw how they went down. Suspicion had been building in Tua's fill in duty all year long, but it became evident he's the real deal under the greatest pressure in the CFPNCG.

BamaNation All-SEC

Taulia will do really well at the opening where his vision and arm talent will come into play. He had a throw to the back of the end zone that looked identical to tua in the championship to ruggs

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jambama1 View Post
    Taulia will do really well at the opening where his vision and arm talent will come into play. He had a throw to the back of the end zone that looked identical to tua in the championship to ruggs
    I agree, but it is hard to win that competition and become MVP without going in as a top 2 or 3 guy. I know that Tua did, so it can be done, but it is tough.

BamaNation All-American

Talented quarterbacks on the roster, Dan Enos working with them, plentiful talent around them. . . . Excited about what we might see soon!
    Last edited by bama579; June 5th, 2018 at 08:06 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post

Well said. The best athlete does not always make the best QB. Best QB, Peyton Manning or Tim Tebow, best all around athlete Peyton Mannong or Tim Tebow?
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Tyson, Tagovailoa and Nix all looked great today at Auburn’s 7v7 passing tournament. Most impressed with Tyson. Think Nix was best at the spot throws, with Taulia right behind him, but Tyson’s arm looks leaps and bounds ahead of where it was last season. Threw darts out there. He has a cannon and threw some of the hardest balls I’ve seen.

Looks like Auburn is getting an absolute steal in one of Tyson’s targets, slot receiver Ja’Varrious Johnson, who just transferred to Trussville and got an Auburn offer last week after an awesome camp, committing on the spot. Left DBs all over the field. Hands were sticky as all get out. Quick as a hiccup.

HS football is going to be fun to watch this year, and I’ll be watching Tyson, Ingram and Johnson up close and personal. Going to be a fun year in Trussvegas. Ingram at split end with Johnson in the slot? Scary for area DCs.
    Just a barner.

My wife asked me the other day: "Are you even listening to me?"

Which is a really weird way to start a conversation.