Bama Commits at Elite 11-My Assessment From the Field Today

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Very well said. When the "lights are on" means a lot for all positions, but none compare to QB. In fact, it's not just live fire, it's live fire when the cameras are on. Some kids shine in practice, but shrink at game time. That's one reason why coaches sometimes look like idiots - it can simply be the difference between a gamer and a practice player. The courage it takes to play sports on the big stage is vastly underrated.
Well, the lights don't get brighter than they did last January and we saw how they went down. Suspicion had been building in Tua's fill in duty all year long, but it became evident he's the real deal under the greatest pressure in the CFPNCG.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
Taulia will do really well at the opening where his vision and arm talent will come into play. He had a throw to the back of the end zone that looked identical to tua in the championship to ruggs

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Taulia will do really well at the opening where his vision and arm talent will come into play. He had a throw to the back of the end zone that looked identical to tua in the championship to ruggs
I agree, but it is hard to win that competition and become MVP without going in as a top 2 or 3 guy. I know that Tua did, so it can be done, but it is tough.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'm a bit out of my element here, but my guess is that's because success at the QB position is a function of so much more than physical talent.

Balancing risk-reward, processing defenses, making the right adjustments, commanding the respect of the team, and doing all that every 30-45 seconds or so, 70+ times a game. And doing all that in your late teens / early 20s.

To be a championship QB, the physical talent is a 100% requirement. But it is nowhere near sufficient.

Put another way, you must have the athletic ability. But even if you do, that only gets you in the conversation. There are lots more tests to come, and they don't have anything to do with release times or ball velocity or 40 yard dash times.

I think this is where the problem comes. Coaches can measure a lot of things. But they can't measure the intangibles that make the difference between, say, Blake Barnett and Andrew Luck at the same point in his career.

The only position harder to predict is placekicker. And we know a lot about both.
Well said. The best athlete does not always make the best QB. Best QB, Peyton Manning or Tim Tebow, best all around athlete Peyton Mannong or Tim Tebow?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Tyson, Tagovailoa and Nix all looked great today at Auburn’s 7v7 passing tournament. Most impressed with Tyson. Think Nix was best at the spot throws, with Taulia right behind him, but Tyson’s arm looks leaps and bounds ahead of where it was last season. Threw darts out there. He has a cannon and threw some of the hardest balls I’ve seen.

Looks like Auburn is getting an absolute steal in one of Tyson’s targets, slot receiver Ja’Varrious Johnson, who just transferred to Trussville and got an Auburn offer last week after an awesome camp, committing on the spot. Left DBs all over the field. Hands were sticky as all get out. Quick as a hiccup.

HS football is going to be fun to watch this year, and I’ll be watching Tyson, Ingram and Johnson up close and personal. Going to be a fun year in Trussvegas. Ingram at split end with Johnson in the slot? Scary for area DCs.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Here's the final Elite 11 Results according to 247 - It appears it was Rattler, Nix, Hilinski and then everyone else:

1) Spencer Rattler - 103 of 138 (74.6%) 16TD's 3 INT's Committed to Oklahoma #1 Pro-Style Passer (Elite 11 MVP)

2) Bo Nix - 113 of 157 (71.9%) 21 TD's 5 INT's Committed to Auburn #1 Dual Threat Passer

3) Ryan Hilinski - 85 of 112 (75.9%) 13 TD's 2 INT's Committed to South Carolina #2 Pro-Style Passer

4) Sam Howell - 53 of 76 (69.7%) 12 TD's 3 INT's Committed to Florida State #5 Pro-Style Passer

5) Brian Maurer - 65 of 103 (63.1%) 9 TD's 3 INT's Committed to Tennessee #17 Pro-Style Passer

6) Cade McNamara - 34 of 59 (57.6%) 7 TD's 2 INT's Committed to Michigan #10 Pro-Style Passer

7) Graham Mertz - 52 of 84 (61.9%) 7 TD's 4 INT's Committed to Wisconsin #4 Pro-Style Passer

8) Taulia Tagovailoa - 71 of 109 (65.1%) 6 TD's 6 INT's Committed to Alabama #7 Pro-Style Passer

9) Dylan Morris - 47 of 74 (63.5%) 6 TD's 5 INT's Committed to Washington #3 Pro-Style Passer

10) Max Duggan - 37 of 54 (68.5%) 3 TD's 2 INT's Committed to TCU #10 Dual Threat Passer

11) Ty Evans - 30 of 59 (50.8%) 4 TD's 5 INT's Committed to Colorado #15 Pro-Style Passer

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Here's the final Elite 11 Results according to 247 - It appears it was Rattler, Nix, Hilinski and then everyone else:

1) Spencer Rattler - 103 of 138 (74.6%) 16TD's 3 INT's Committed to Oklahoma #1 Pro-Style Passer (Elite 11 MVP)

2) Bo Nix - 113 of 157 (71.9%) 21 TD's 5 INT's Committed to Auburn #1 Dual Threat Passer

3) Ryan Hilinski - 85 of 112 (75.9%) 13 TD's 2 INT's Committed to South Carolina #2 Pro-Style Passer

4) Sam Howell - 53 of 76 (69.7%) 12 TD's 3 INT's Committed to Florida State #5 Pro-Style Passer

5) Brian Maurer - 65 of 103 (63.1%) 9 TD's 3 INT's Committed to Tennessee #17 Pro-Style Passer

6) Cade McNamara - 34 of 59 (57.6%) 7 TD's 2 INT's Committed to Michigan #10 Pro-Style Passer

7) Graham Mertz - 52 of 84 (61.9%) 7 TD's 4 INT's Committed to Wisconsin #4 Pro-Style Passer

8) Taulia Tagovailoa - 71 of 109 (65.1%) 6 TD's 6 INT's Committed to Alabama #7 Pro-Style Passer

9) Dylan Morris - 47 of 74 (63.5%) 6 TD's 5 INT's Committed to Washington #3 Pro-Style Passer

10) Max Duggan - 37 of 54 (68.5%) 3 TD's 2 INT's Committed to TCU #10 Dual Threat Passer

11) Ty Evans - 30 of 59 (50.8%) 4 TD's 5 INT's Committed to Colorado #15 Pro-Style Passer
Barton Simmons considered Howell in his upper class. Those guys then everyone else.

Man, I am looking forward to Nix. Kid is a gunslinger. Still almost cheating with Pickens and Haselwood at receiver though.

We’re working hard to flip Haselwood. He just keeps visiting.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Barton Simmons considered Howell in his upper class. Those guys then everyone else.

Man, I am looking forward to Nix. Kid is a gunslinger. Still almost cheating with Pickens and Haselwood at receiver though.

We’re working hard to flip Haselwood. He just keeps visiting.
How about this Dub, you flip Haselwood and we'll flip Pickens. That sounds fair, right?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
How about this Dub, you flip Haselwood and we'll flip Pickens. That sounds fair, right?
Don’t know how good our chances are of flipping Jadon, but the kid has spent a ton of time on our campus. We know he’s at least very interested.

Pickens’ recruitment is going to be interesting until the very end. He may very well flip, but we’re going to fight tooth and nail to prevent it. Good news is that he was recruiting hard for us at the Opening.

On the whole, I’d probably be disappointed. Pickens looked like the better receiver at the Opening, from what I’ve heard.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.