Bama Commits at Elite 11-My Assessment From the Field Today

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I was on the field today for the Elite 11 QB finals. And here are some observations.

Taulia
-First thing I noticed was how much shorter, Taulia was tthan all the other QBs.
-The fact that he is pretty thick, well built, probably made him look smaller than he really is. Big calves.
-Taulia looked very intense, but friendly to the other participants. He was bouncing side to side almost non-stop, you could tell that he was confident, pumped up and in it to win it.
-He consistently threw the prettiest ball. He was definitely in the top 5 there. Ultra quick release, great balance and effortlessly stayed on top of the ball. No leaning back, like probably a 1/3 of the QBs out there. And always almost dead-on target.
-One of the drills concentrated on footwork while going through the passing progressions. He naturally looked good on his first rep. The coach told him to slide more with his footwork, no gallop. Next rep, he had the slide down nicely. Appears to be a great listener, very eager to learn, and can apply his learnings nicely.
-Can make all the throws, makes the field look small. Very little loop in his throws, but very catchable, not blazing hot ropes, that are too tough to consistently catch.
-like his brother appears to be good at anticipating the rush, and applying good balance under heat....as displayed in another drill.
-politely always wanted to be up for the next rep. If the guy in front of him didnÂ’t step up assertively during his time, he was ready to go. Seemed liked he got more reps than anyone.
-you can tell QBing and football is his passion, you can read it in his demeanor more than most the QBÂ’s out there.
-Certainly looked special, the only thing that stood out to the contrary was his size. But heÂ’s still young. I was his size exactly when I graduated high school (5-11.5), and grew to 6-1.5 by sophomore year in college.

Paul Tyson
-When I was walking down from the parking lot, one of the first passes I saw thrown was by a tall, almost perfect QB build and my assessment was how smooth his drop-back and release was. Kind of reminded me of a poor manÂ’s Andrew Luck when he was at Stanford. Turns out it was Paul Tyson I was watching.
-You could tell instantly that Paul did not get a Bama offer because of his legacy ties to the Bear. He has the potential to be an extremely good QB. Size, good footwork, throws a nice ball. Looks like he has humble confidence and poise, too.

Overall it was hard to compare Taulia to Paul because their styles, size, and bodies are so different. But they both looked very talented. It’s going to be interesting to watch them both go through Bama’s pre-season practices next year....and their development.

In terms of all the QBs, I would say that I could definitely see a tier right around the top 12-15 players. And then another handful that really stood out above the rest. Approximately 1/3 of the QBs seem to have weaker arms, looping mid-range throws. I’d say about 1/4 were far less accurate than the rest. Handful of the 6-3 to 6-5 foot guys had very polished games. Few of the 6-1 to 6-2 guys threw very compact balls, and looked like real gamers. It’s always difficult to evaluate QBs completely outside of live big time college live play, aka Blake Barnett and many others. It was amazing though the accuracy, trajectory, and timing of most of these guys on the 30 yard over the middle pass to the end zone. 10 or so of the guys looked like they could be big time college QBs right away, physically, mentally, and skills-wise.

Who’s going to win? Glad I didn’t have to choose, as that could be a tough one. I guess if you’re all day for three days with the players, that decision gets a lot easier.

This was held at the local high school in Redondo Beach, CA which has a weak football program, but amazing new facilities. Bunch of beach kids, that aren’t very tough, play ball for this school. Go figure they are ranked high nationally in beach volleyball. But amazingly enough, even though this is in the heart of USC/UCLA alum territory, I saw BY FAR the most Alabama gear worn by the spectators. Also saw bunch of large Hawaiian Samoans with Bama apparel on, seem to be routing for guess who. That’s it folks, the future looks solid for Bama at QB. I’ll be off to the beach tomorrow, so no further info to report. Hope you enjoyed, and Roll Tide!!

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Based on the film and assessment of their guy on the field, the AjC says Taulia had the much better day. Based on the videos of both kids, I’d say Taulia has the quicker release, and the stronger and more accurate arm.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Based on the film and assessment of their guy on the field, the AjC says a Taulia had the much better day. Based on the videos of both kids, I’d say Taulia has the quicker release, and the stronger and more accurate arm.
I agree - Tyson was throwing behind receivers and his passes were later coming out. He also had less zip. But these drills are not nearly as important as the performance in team play.

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Sorry, know this is the recruiting board, but by the way, Tua looked extremely good throwing the ball. He was in several of the same drills with his brother. He was supposed to be a counselor, but he was in the rotation in some of the drills. You could tell he stood out right away. The guy next to me said, “dang who’s that lefty out there!” If his younger brother can get close to his height, look out!, as his talent is incredible, too. The way the ball spins out of their hands is a sight to see.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sounds like Jalen had a really good Pro Day workout and so did Tyson. Taulia was apparently just ok and Tua was solid and consistent but allegedly Jalen flashed more and was better overall
Jalen has always been great when playing against air. His problems don't show up until he faces tight coverages with pressure. That is why the Elite 11 stuff is meaningless until they start the game play.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Jalen has always been great when playing against air. His problems don't show up until he faces tight coverages with pressure. That is why the Elite 11 stuff is meaningless until they start the game play.
Agreed. And same kind goes for Tyson and Taulia. I believe 7 on 7s are today. And those will at least be a slightly more accurate test.

That's said I am glad Tyson had a good workout

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yeah, but we must be careful not to read too much into it *cough* Sean White *cough*.
Yea that's very true. Plenty of guys flame out after the Elite 11. (Blake Barnett).

It's kind of amazing how hard it is to scout QBs

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Yea that's very true. Plenty of guys flame out after the Elite 11. (Blake Barnett).

It's kind of amazing how hard it is to scout QBs
I'm a bit out of my element here, but my guess is that's because success at the QB position is a function of so much more than physical talent.

Balancing risk-reward, processing defenses, making the right adjustments, commanding the respect of the team, and doing all that every 30-45 seconds or so, 70+ times a game. And doing all that in your late teens / early 20s.

To be a championship QB, the physical talent is a 100% requirement. But it is nowhere near sufficient.

Put another way, you must have the athletic ability. But even if you do, that only gets you in the conversation. There are lots more tests to come, and they don't have anything to do with release times or ball velocity or 40 yard dash times.

I think this is where the problem comes. Coaches can measure a lot of things. But they can't measure the intangibles that make the difference between, say, Blake Barnett and Andrew Luck at the same point in his career.

The only position harder to predict is placekicker. And we know a lot about both.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Based on the clips that I have seen and what I have read, I expect Taulia to make it through, but not Tyson. We will find out tomorrow.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I'm a bit out of my element here, but my guess is that's because success at the QB position is a function of so much more than physical talent.

Balancing risk-reward, processing defenses, making the right adjustments, commanding the respect of the team, and doing all that every 30-45 seconds or so, 70+ times a game. And doing all that in your late teens / early 20s.

To be a championship QB, the physical talent is a 100% requirement. But it is nowhere near sufficient.

Put another way, you must have the athletic ability. But even if you do, that only gets you in the conversation. There are lots more tests to come, and they don't have anything to do with release times or ball velocity or 40 yard dash times.

I think this is where the problem comes. Coaches can measure a lot of things. But they can't measure the intangibles that make the difference between, say, Blake Barnett and Andrew Luck at the same point in his career.

The only position harder to predict is placekicker. And we know a lot about both.
Very well said. When the "lights are on" means a lot for all positions, but none compare to QB. In fact, it's not just live fire, it's live fire when the cameras are on. Some kids shine in practice, but shrink at game time. That's one reason why coaches sometimes look like idiots - it can simply be the difference between a gamer and a practice player. The courage it takes to play sports on the big stage is vastly underrated.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.