NCAA Baseball Regionals/Supers/CWS

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Too bad the six SEC teams have to play each other.

This Vandy/State game has been a crazy back and forth affair. T5, 7-7 - still a long way to go.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Tomorrow will be a fun winner-take-all affair. Think we’re in a better situation pitching wise, but your bats are always frightening.

Will Florida start Leftwich or Mace?
Starter hasn't been announced yet, as far as I know. Will keep you posted if I hear anything.

Our bats are better this year than last for sure but sometimes I'd like to see a little small ball, you know? But since I'm not getting paid the big bucks...what do I know? :)

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Starter hasn't been announced yet, as far as I know. Will keep you posted if I hear anything.
My gut says Leftwich, but no doubt O’Sullivan is going to be quick with the hook no matter which one starts if we start getting runners on base.
Our bats are better this year than last for sure but sometimes I'd like to see a little small ball, you know? But since I'm not getting paid the big bucks...what do I know? :)
Hell, do what works. Wish I could count the number of times we’ve screwed up trying to bunt guys over this year. Happened today with Edouard Julien in the 9th. That’s a guy you take a gorilla ball approach with. Trying to bunt early before your pitching change really screwed up his flow.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Let’s all put aside our differences and celebrate the fact we won’t have to listen to that whistling jerk anymore lol.
Must be in the tone/freq that I have my hearing loss (thankfully). I kept seeing and hearing people mention the "whistling"...I never heard it.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
They are playing something on joxfm right now. I hear cheering and clapping and they're talking about whistling...I don't hear it. :biggrin:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Let’s all put aside our differences and celebrate the fact we won’t have to listen to that whistling jerk anymore lol.
Totally agree. Copied from an Gator insider forum:

==============

I've had a first-hand look for 15 years at how the program works. It's not perfect, but I have tons of respect for how Tim does things and how players conduct themselves. The players graduate, they treat people with respect, they work hard and they attain success at a high level every year, and often, at the highest level possible, or pretty close to it.

No person or organization is perfect, but, they are about as close to it as any organization I've been around to any degree. And yeah, that includes me knowing some of the ugly things about it that sometimes never made an article or a message board or whatever. Even with those things, I have an incredible respect for how that program is run.

There's a magnetism about the program that transcends a lot of things, and it's why Tim has been able to build fans from people who previously cared nothing about Vanderbilt, or baseball, and certainly not Vanderbilt baseball.

And if you wanted to put the best of Vanderbilt on a pedestal for the world to see, even with the warts, it might well be what Tim has built.

And do you know what the whistlers do? They detract from EVERY BIT of that.

The time that TV people could be spending talking about the players they've had in the pros, or about how Tim built something from nothing, or about a beautiful ballpark and facility, instead gets siphoned off talking about the whistlers.

The fans that VU could be gaining, or the positive exposure that Vanderbilt could be getting from just showing the world what the baseball program is, instead gets upstaged by the whistler sideshow.

The talk in the press box last night wasn't about what was such an unusual game with high stakes. It was about the whistlers, and how much everybody hates it, and, why won't Vanderbilt do something about it?

And on top of it, you have a pretty good story of juniors like Chandler Day and others who endured so much to get here, and whether they get out of a super or not, it's a good story, and those kids deserve their time in the sun for that. But nobody's talking about that, either.

And instead of the magnetism that attracts people, those two guys are singlehandedly turning Vanderbilt into a program that a lot of people hate.

I know Vanderbilt's put in a difficult spot with all this, and there's not a handbook for dealing with it. But I can't imagine any other setting where this was allowed.

Can you imagine going to the movies, or a restaurant, or a concert, where two people are allowed to single-handedly ruin the experiences of the paying customers around them? And you have the TV ratings on top of that.

I'm all for personal freedom and liberties and such, but there gets to be a critical point that the absurdity of what's happening out-weighs all that. We're way past that now.

Vanderbilt can't ignore this any longer. It's not just a fan experience thing, it's KILLING their brand.

I'll be interested to see what happens when there's finally an AD change.

==================

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
My gut says Leftwich, but no doubt O’Sullivan is going to be quick with the hook no matter which one starts if we start getting runners on base.

Hell, do what works. Wish I could count the number of times we’ve screwed up trying to bunt guys over this year. Happened today with Edouard Julien in the 9th. That’s a guy you take a gorilla ball approach with. Trying to bunt early before your pitching change really screwed up his flow.
I'm thinking it will be Leftwich as well. Sully mentioning something about the amount of time it takes him to get warmed up so he should be the starter.

My thoughts on the small ball...most effective when it's unexpected for the opponent. Meaning, when you have a team that's batting well...throw in a kink once in a while to keep them honest. And it also has a chance to work, if played the right way. Every at-bat scenario is different, and how they are played differently separates the 'great strategy' coaches from all the rest.

This should be a great game - looking forward to it!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.