Link: More out-of-control government...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm not going to blame the victim...
I wasn’t trying to. It is just very risky to do so. You could lose it just as easily as it being stolen or seized.

I agree the forfeiture laws need to be overhauled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In the culture this man came from, it's really not that unusual. Where he grew up, probably the safest place to have it on you. He should at least be safe from his own government...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
That is not correct. I'm not quite sure what you mean, but, if you think that it's illegal to possess more than $10K, that's wrong. If he redeposited it, the bank would have to report it and he might have to explain how he got it, which, according to his attorney, he can. However, I didn't think we'd reached the point where the government can outlaw carrying your own cash around...
They must declare the money at $10k. Perhaps there is some confusion on that point.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
They must declare the money at $10k. Perhaps there is some confusion on that point.
I am confused on the point of the 10K requirement. For example, if I had an agreement to purchase property in NYC with cash and I chose to travel from Chicago with the cash I don't understand what should prevent me from doing that legally.

If I chose to carry that cash to Brazil, for example, they would require me to declare it in customs and it could be limited by their customs regulations. I don't recall being required to file a customs form upon my departure from the US but was required to have one completed upon arrival in a foreign country.

I have understood that I could not re-enter the US with more than 10K but do not understand how that would apply to a domestic flight.

It would be beneficial to have clearer understanding in the matter.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I am confused on the point of the 10K requirement. For example, if I had an agreement to purchase property in NYC with cash and I chose to travel from Chicago with the cash I don't understand what should prevent me from doing that legally.

If I chose to carry that cash to Brazil, for example, they would require me to declare it in customs and it could be limited by their customs regulations. I don't recall being required to file a customs form upon my departure from the US but was required to have one completed upon arrival in a foreign country.

I have understood that I could not re-enter the US with more than 10K but do not understand how that would apply to a domestic flight.

He must declare before leaving the country was my point, not to say he had to declare on the first flight, which was domestic.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I agree. Right now, it looks like just a presumption that he must have obtained it illegally. You are correct in that international is a totally different matter. Once, I crossed over from Austria to Italy at a little-used pass (actually where they later discovered Oetzi the Iceman, but he was under 20' of ice and snow when I crossed). My MIL was along and she was notorious for carrying too much cash. Italy was undergoing one of its periodic Lire crises and the most you could take out of the country was the equivalent of $50 - unless you declared it on the way in. I asked Rosalie how much she had. She answered that she had $5K in a money belt. Since that was 1972, that would be the equivalent of just under $30K today. However, that's not the entire story. That was just before the dollar crash and the leaving of the dollar being pegged to gold. So, the purchasing power of a dollar was far, far more than it is against other currencies now. All went smoothly, once they realized we were Americans and not Germans. They were from southern Italy and deeply prejudiced against Germans, the main group using that pass. I had been using German, since I don't know Italian sufficiently to converse. So, you are correct. It's a good idea to know the currency regulations of the country you're traveling to...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Posted this pic I took back in the 70's in the Wakiki thread...

Talk about government going overboard.....why did we change from only having a single flashing light on top of a patrol car? Simple yet effective design, less expensive, and less intrusive.

What the heck happened to us? :conf2:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He must declare before leaving the country was my point, not to say he had to declare on the first flight, which was domestic.
But if the first flight was part of an international trip, then it could be considered to be an international flight even if he wasn’t leaving the country on that leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I blame the Courts.
They could pass laws saying rape is okay and I'm not going to rape anyone.

Just because the cops are allowed to do this doesn't make it moral or ethical - these dirtbags are filthy even if they'r protected by the law. They still choose to do this.

So yeah, the courts and legislation are to blame for not putting it to a stop, but the cops are to blame as they continue to steal from the innocent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.