Trump disinvites Eagles from White House, plans 'different type of ceremony' for fans

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
President Trump on Monday abruptly announced the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles would not visit the White House on Tuesday, citing the team's participation in national anthem protests. "The Philadelphia Eagles are unable to come to the White House with their full team to be celebrated tomorrow. They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country," Trump said in a statement.
"The Eagles wanted to send a smaller delegation, but the 1,000 fans planning to attend the event deserve better," he added.
Trump said Eagles fans are still invited to the White House "to be part of a different type of ceremony—one that will honor our great country, pay tribute to the heroes who fight to protect it, and loudly and proudly play the National Anthem.
"I will be there at 3:00 p.m. with the United States Marine Band and the United States Army Chorus to celebrate America," he said.
Trump has frequently criticized NFL players who protested during the national anthem before games last season, calling for them to be punished or fired.
Several Philadelphia Eagles players were among those who protested during the national anthem before games each week last season to raise awareness of social justice issues. Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie also criticized Trump's views on the protests.
Some of those players said following the team's Super Bowl victory that they would not visit the White House if invited.
League owners voted last month to implement a new policy that requires players to stand during the anthem next season, or face a fine. Players also have the option to remain in the locker room.
Even with the new policy, Trump continued to attack those who don't stand for the anthem, suggesting they don't belong in the country.
This marks the second time the president has disinvited a championship team from the White House.
Trump rescinded an invitation to Golden State Warriors last year after star player Stephen Curry said he probably would not attend.
http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...s-from-white-house-visit-plans-different-type

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I have mixed feelings on this.

Will wait to see what happens with the alternative event Trump has in mind.

I know what he's doing - he's trying to inject more patriotism into the thing.

To be honest - I'm not sure this is the right way to go about it.

Seems we're in a re-boot right now.....the times they are a changin'......

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

he's not trying to inject more patriotism, he's trying to inject more trump.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country," Trump said in a statement.
He sure seems to personalize things.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Trump is unquestionably the least patriotic president we've ever had. This is just more of his toxic need to make everything about himself. He's supposed to celebrate others in these situations, but can only celebrate himself. He is a sad person who, in other circumstances, would have my pity.

Last edited:

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Trump is unquestionably the least patriotic president we've ever had. This is just more of his toxic need to make everything about himself. He's supposed to celebrate others in these situations, but can only celebrate himself. He is a sad person who, in other circumstances, would have my pity.
Yes! pity... were it not for his narcissism that manifest itself in such awful racist, misogynistic and megalomanical tendencies that threaten the well being of the entire world.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I felt sorry for him until he started running for president. When he was elected, I started feeling sorry for us...

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
President Trump on Monday abruptly announced the Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles would not visit the White House on Tuesday, citing the team's participation in national anthem protests. "The Philadelphia Eagles are unable to come to the White House with their full team to be celebrated tomorrow. They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country," Trump said in a statement.
I heard this morning that this is just another Trump lie, the Eagles didn't kneel or stay in the locker room last year. Can someone confirm?
He simply cancelled because only about 10 players were scheduled to come and he realized that this would make him look foolish.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I heard this morning that this is just another Trump lie, the Eagles didn't kneel or stay in the locker room last year. Can someone confirm?
He simply cancelled because only about 10 players were scheduled to come and he realized that this would make him look foolish.
well, as long as he can keep from looking foolish ...

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Zero players that played in the Siper Bowl kneeled last season. There was only one player on the team that did, but apparently is was a preseason game and he was cut before the regular season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.