Coach C M Newton has passed away - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 23 of 23
  1. #14
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Posts
    140

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    Having now read the full article in Tuscaloosa News, I deeply regret never having had the chance to personally thank Coach Newton for everything he did for my university. That he chose to live in Tuscaloosa after all these years, when he pretty much could have lived anywhere, says a lot.

    In the early 1970s, the National Observer (now defunct, weekly newspaper out of Washington D.C), ran a full article titled "New Tide Rolls for Bama" highlighting the emergence of serious basketball where football culture ruled. It featured pictures of the starting five and talked about the rapid integration of the team under Newton - and noted it was occurring without riots, protests or major episodes or incidents of (the assumed and expected) racism. It was rare, positive news about Alabama from national media. That was a result of Coach Newton's influence. It gave this little kid hope for better basketball, a better university and a better world, and that's pretty good for a basketball coach. I wouldn't have been able to thank him enough anyway.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #15
    BamaNation All-SEC Tidetwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northeast Georgia
    Posts
    1,804

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamagator View Post
    Having now read the full article in Tuscaloosa News, I deeply regret never having had the chance to personally thank Coach Newton for everything he did for my university. That he chose to live in Tuscaloosa after all these years, when he pretty much could have lived anywhere, says a lot.

    In the early 1970s, the National Observer (now defunct, weekly newspaper out of Washington D.C), ran a full article titled "New Tide Rolls for Bama" highlighting the emergence of serious basketball where football culture ruled. It featured pictures of the starting five and talked about the rapid integration of the team under Newton - and noted it was occurring without riots, protests or major episodes or incidents of (the assumed and expected) racism. It was rare, positive news about Alabama from national media. That was a result of Coach Newton's influence. It gave this little kid hope for better basketball, a better university and a better world, and that's pretty good for a basketball coach. I wouldn't have been able to thank him enough anyway.
    This is a tremendous post and the thing about it, he built a great team comprised almost entirely of kids from Alabama. Safe to say, the 70's were very heady and enjoyable times to attend the University. Thanks Coach Newt for your dedication, class, hard work and Lord, all the great memories.

  4. #16
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,464

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    15 posts total for a historical figure in terms of Alabama sports and the entire South.

    Alabama basketball in a nutshell.

  5. #17
    BamaNation All-SEC Tidetwin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northeast Georgia
    Posts
    1,804

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    15 posts total for a historical figure in terms of Alabama sports and the entire South.




    Alabama basketball in a nutshell.
    I suppose one had to live through those days to appreciate the length and breadth of his accomplishments.
    Last edited by Tidetwin; June 8th, 2018 at 09:07 AM.

  6. #18
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    2,852

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    CM was slightly before my time. Wimp was the coach I identify with most. No question Wimp doesn't have the success he had without CM laying the foundation. I didn't realize how big an impact he had on the game itself with the Olympics and UK. He was about as classy a coach and man as I have ever seen. He had lived in Tuscaloosa for I guess about 15 years. His impact will continue to be felt here and across basketball for years to come. RIP.

  7. #19
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,464

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    From Wimp:

    “I’m certainly sorry for everyone’s loss,” former Alabama coach Wimp Sanderson said. “We had a good professional relationship and I appreciate what he did for me in the game of basketball. He was a very good basketball coach and did a lot for the University of Alabama and for basketball in this state.”

    Professional? Wonder what that's all about? Though I have a couple of guesses.

  8. #20
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,976

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    Newton was married to the woman Wimp had the affair with that led to his firing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #21
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    2,852

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Newton was married to the woman Wimp had the affair with that led to his firing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, but not at the time of the affair. She had received her settlement from UA and married CM after his 1st wife passed away. The statement from Wimp is odd though. I think Wimp got the job because CM recommended him to Coach Bryant. Maybe they had not been in touch in years and maybe his previous relationship with CM's wife soured their friendship.

  10. #22
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,976

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    Sorry, I didnít mean to imply it was a love triangle between them. I knew their relationship came about after the first Mrs. Newton died. Still a rather interesting situation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #23
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    cullman, al, usa
    Posts
    5,136

    Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

    RIP, Coach Newton. I pray your family finds comfort.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar