Coach C M Newton has passed away - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: Coach C M Newton has passed away

Having now read the full article in Tuscaloosa News, I deeply regret never having had the chance to personally thank Coach Newton for everything he did for my university. That he chose to live in Tuscaloosa after all these years, when he pretty much could have lived anywhere, says a lot.

In the early 1970s, the National Observer (now defunct, weekly newspaper out of Washington D.C), ran a full article titled "New Tide Rolls for Bama" highlighting the emergence of serious basketball where football culture ruled. It featured pictures of the starting five and talked about the rapid integration of the team under Newton - and noted it was occurring without riots, protests or major episodes or incidents of (the assumed and expected) racism. It was rare, positive news about Alabama from national media. That was a result of Coach Newton's influence. It gave this little kid hope for better basketball, a better university and a better world, and that's pretty good for a basketball coach. I wouldn't have been able to thank him enough anyway.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bamagator View Post
    Having now read the full article in Tuscaloosa News, I deeply regret never having had the chance to personally thank Coach Newton for everything he did for my university. That he chose to live in Tuscaloosa after all these years, when he pretty much could have lived anywhere, says a lot.

In the early 1970s, the National Observer (now defunct, weekly newspaper out of Washington D.C), ran a full article titled "New Tide Rolls for Bama" highlighting the emergence of serious basketball where football culture ruled. It featured pictures of the starting five and talked about the rapid integration of the team under Newton - and noted it was occurring without riots, protests or major episodes or incidents of (the assumed and expected) racism. It was rare, positive news about Alabama from national media. That was a result of Coach Newton's influence. It gave this little kid hope for better basketball, a better university and a better world, and that's pretty good for a basketball coach. I wouldn't have been able to thank him enough anyway.
    This is a tremendous post and the thing about it, he built a great team comprised almost entirely of kids from Alabama. Safe to say, the 70's were very heady and enjoyable times to attend the University. Thanks Coach Newt for your dedication, class, hard work and Lord, all the great memories.

BamaNation All-American

15 posts total for a historical figure in terms of Alabama sports and the entire South.

Alabama basketball in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    15 posts total for a historical figure in terms of Alabama sports and the entire South.

Alabama basketball in a nutshell.
    I suppose one had to live through those days to appreciate the length and breadth of his accomplishments.
    Last edited by Tidetwin; June 8th, 2018 at 09:07 AM.

BamaNation All-American

CM was slightly before my time. Wimp was the coach I identify with most. No question Wimp doesn't have the success he had without CM laying the foundation. I didn't realize how big an impact he had on the game itself with the Olympics and UK. He was about as classy a coach and man as I have ever seen. He had lived in Tuscaloosa for I guess about 15 years. His impact will continue to be felt here and across basketball for years to come. RIP.

BamaNation All-American

From Wimp:

“I’m certainly sorry for everyone’s loss,” former Alabama coach Wimp Sanderson said. “We had a good professional relationship and I appreciate what he did for me in the game of basketball. He was a very good basketball coach and did a lot for the University of Alabama and for basketball in this state.”

Professional? Wonder what that's all about? Though I have a couple of guesses.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Newton was married to the woman Wimp had the affair with that led to his firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Newton was married to the woman Wimp had the affair with that led to his firing.

Yes, but not at the time of the affair. She had received her settlement from UA and married CM after his 1st wife passed away. The statement from Wimp is odd though. I think Wimp got the job because CM recommended him to Coach Bryant. Maybe they had not been in touch in years and maybe his previous relationship with CM's wife soured their friendship.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Sorry, I didnít mean to imply it was a love triangle between them. I knew their relationship came about after the first Mrs. Newton died. Still a rather interesting situation.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

RIP, Coach Newton. I pray your family finds comfort.