MLB draft

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
State has to be kicking themselves sideways, even if they did get into a Super. They had four signees drafted in the first round and one in the second round last night (according to my resident State expert). That's a helluva blow no matter who you are.

rtr

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Jake and CT drafted on day two, as well as the Hilson kid from Arkansas. Let us hope he would like to come to school and improve his draft status.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
TBH, I'm surprised CT was drafted that high. But I've thought all along that if he got drafted, he'd sign. Wish we could seen him play under a coaching staff that would've been able to help him improve from year-to-year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep CT is gone. I wished he would stay and improve but it's probably best he go now. It's hard to improve your rating over your last year unless you improve big time. Might as well go and make money to learn in a great farm system which the Astros have.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I am simply glad MLB teams are did the smart thing and not draft Luke Heimlich. I won't link the story because of the disturbing crime but suffice to say, I do not want Heimlich pitching in a ML park at all. If he wants to continue his career, he can do it in another country.

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
I am simply glad MLB teams are did the smart thing and not draft Luke Heimlich. I won't link the story because of the disturbing crime but suffice to say, I do not want Heimlich pitching in a ML park at all. If he wants to continue his career, he can do it in another country.
I disagree. It just seems to me that this is simply virtue signaling.
According to the story in SI, what he pleaded guilty to was horrible. However, it was done when he was minor before the mind is fully developed which is why there is a separate juvenile justice system. For that, he was sentenced and he served his sentence - twice weekly counseling and probation plus requirement to register as a sex offender, etc. The sentence was not life in prison and statistics indicate an extremely low risk for recidivism. They are often called halls of justice but they are courts of law and he has now complied with the law.
As one person in the story asked, should he commit suicide to satisfy society’s endless sense of outrage? Should he never be allowed to work at the one thing for which he is very well suited or should we require that he suffer to the end of his days for something he did as a child?
I am not, in any way, dismissing what he did. It IS horrible but he has paid the price and then some. He paid his legal debt to society for his actions and he has now lost millions due to not being drafted.
When is enough punishment enough?

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'm kind of with you Ebay. It's hard for me to say he shouldn't be able to play, he did his time and is still being punished for it when he was a minor when it occurred. Letting it be known he is a sex offender is probably punishment enough at this point as I imagine it's embarrassing as it should be but now he can't make money? I imagine there are a lot of kids probably playing now that done the same the state law protected them so nobody knows. We only know because of the Oregon state law IIRC. If I was a MLB team I would have asked him for a lie detector test and if he said no then I wouldn't draft him if he lied. Yes I know it's not perfect but it helps see in a closed setting if he done it or not. It's just hard for me to say that he shouldn't be able to play, it's like just because you're a sex offender (as a minor that is) that you shouldn't be able to make money and support yourself or your family. You're just asking for something to happen, or for someone to snap. I know I done some dumb crap as a 15 year old but of course nothing like that, that I dang sure wouldn't do now.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
According to the story in SI, what he pleaded guilty to was horrible. However, it was done when he was minor before the mind is fully developed which is why there is a separate juvenile justice system. For that, he was sentenced and he served his sentence - twice weekly counseling and probation plus requirement to register as a sex offender, etc. The sentence was not life in prison and statistics indicate an extremely low risk for recidivism. They are often called halls of justice but they are courts of law and he has now complied with the law.
As one person in the story asked, should he commit suicide to satisfy society’s endless sense of outrage? Should he never be allowed to work at the one thing for which he is very well suited or should we require that he suffer to the end of his days for something he did as a child?
I am not, in any way, dismissing what he did. It IS horrible but he has paid the price and then some. He paid his legal debt to society for his actions and he has now lost millions due to not being drafted.
We'll have to disagree then. Too many players in the minors and majors that has children, especially daughters, and they most certainly will not feel comfortable with him around and would not call him team mate, not to mention the backlash the team who signs him, if he is signed, would face. I'm not saying he can't pursue a pro career, but given the current climate in the United States, he just have to pursue a pro career outside of the United States, Japan, Mexico, Korea or even China.

He has himself to blame for losing potentially millions of dollars.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
With so many players to choose from, why would a team knowingly select this guy and then take the public relations hit and potential fan backlash? If I'm a GM/Manager, I would have passed.

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
We'll have to disagree then. Too many players in the minors and majors that has children, especially daughters, and they most certainly will not feel comfortable with him around and would not call him team mate, not to mention the backlash the team who signs him, if he is signed, would face. I'm not saying he can't pursue a pro career, but given the current climate in the United States, he just have to pursue a pro career outside of the United States, Japan, Mexico, Korea or even China.

He has himself to blame for losing potentially millions of dollars.
I understand your point and am so torn by how I feel about this. I can't argue against you so we can disagree and stay Bama fans.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
I agree, but at tbe same time am conflicted on it. I think whathe did was terrible, but as a middle school teacher of 15 years I can’t help but think. Then again, she was no where near middle school from what I read. It is a tough situation all the way around. Kid is talented and probably would be a great addition somehwere as a player but that past is haunting him until he can exorcise it. I pray for peace on both sides of the fence on this one.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I only heard of the one guy who got drafted, which could mean several things:

#1. it could mean we had a terrible recruiting class, which I really don't believe.
#2. it could mean that several guys had let it be known they would not sign with MLB if they were drafted. Which happens. There was a kid in Mobile who did that this year.
#3. I have run out of things.

Of course, I rely on this site and others like it for baseball info and we may have lost several more guys, or at least had them drafted. Maybe someone will put out a list?

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Underclassmen drafted:

Chandler Taylor - 10th round (312 overall)
Cobie Vance - 18th round (533 overall)
Jett Manning - 20th round (586 overall)

Taylor has indicated to the 'Stros that he'll sign, and I'd imagine Vance and Manning will too.

Recruits drafted:

PJ Hilson (HS) - 6th round (166 overall)
Bryan Lavastida (JUCO) - 15th round (460 overall)
Dylan Smith (HS) - 18th round (531 overall)
Tyler Ras (HS) - 33rd round (998 overall)
Will Freeman (JUCO) - 36th round (1071 overall)
Brett Auerbach (JUCO) - 40th round (1206 overall)

Lavastida has already signed with the Indians, and I'd be surprised if Hilson doesn't sign with the Giants, as well (in fact, recent radio interview he indicated that he leaves Saturday for rookie-ball).

I'm hopeful that the rest of the drafted recruits make it to school.

Last edited:

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Well poop. This Freeman kid must be the guy whose dad works with me? If so I was told by a guy I really respect that he would be a weekend starter for us next year. I would imagine he will come to Bama.

rtr

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Anyone have an update on our incoming class, and if all of our juniors signed?

Thanks for any information you can give.

rtr

baseballfanatic

1st Team
Oct 30, 2008
Current Players Drafted (Yr) - Signing Bonus

Walters (Sr) - $10,000
Taylor (Jr) - $70,000
Vance (Jr) - $50,000
Manning (Jr) - $100,000
Avant (Sr) - $10,000

HS Signees Drafted - Signing Bonus

PJ Hilson - $520,000
B. Lavastida - Signed, but amount not listed
D. Smith - No indication of signing (has hinted at coming to school)
T. Ras - No indication of signing (has intimated he's coming to school)
W. Freeman - No indication of signing (has hinted at coming to school)
B. Auerbach - No indication of signing (has hinted at coming to school)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.