Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    limited success? Tough crowd.

It has been limited by one Nick Saban!
    to 16 and beyond........

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team

Re: 2019 5* RB Trey Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    Serious question to those more familiar with the strategy and tactics of recruiting. You are Kirby Smart. What is your objective argument to Trey Sanders regarding why it`s better for him to attend and play football at UGA as opposed to UA ? I`d be also interested in how the UGA fans that frequent this board would answer that question.
    That's an interesting question.

I know a lot of Bama fans think Kirby has been negatively targeting the Tide during the recruiting process. The media has asked CKS many times about his recruiting approach and his response has been consistent from the beginning. He believes UGA sells itself (ranked nationally as the 13 best public university, great facilities etc., etc.), therefore he doesn't have to negatively recruit. In post commit interviews from players over the last three years that narrative seems to ring true.

Regarding the selling points to Trey, I would suspect they're as follows:

1. Early PT - Kirby plays'em young. Therefore, if Trey comes to Georgia he will play.
    2. PT part II - It's anticipated Holyfield will enter the draft after this season, increasing the opportunity for early PT.
    3. Zamir White - He suffered a second ACL on his other leg before the start of the season. There's a lot of uncertainty about whether he can get back to HS form.
    4. OL - Pittman is building a beast of an OL, with 5*'s backing 5*'s. There's a ton of talented depth to run behind, which is very important to 5* RBs.
    5. Academics - Kirby will pitch academics to Trey. "Come to UGA and get a great education."

Finally, there's the Nolan Smith factor. Smith also plays for IMG and from what I've read he's relentless recruiting guys he wants to play for Georgia. He's in both Sanders and Neal's ear. If you look at the CB's they trend toward Bama, so we'll see how it goes.

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgByte View Post

I know a lot of Bama fans think Kirby has been negatively targeting the Tide during the recruiting process. The media has asked CKS many times about his recruiting approach and his response has been consistent from the beginning. He believes UGA sells itself (ranked nationally as the 13 best public university, great facilities etc., etc.), therefore he doesn't have to negatively recruit. In post commit interviews from players over the last three years that narrative seems to ring true.

1. Early PT - Kirby plays'em young. Therefore, if Trey comes to Georgia he will play.
    2. PT part II - It's anticipated Holyfield will enter the draft after this season, increasing the opportunity for early PT.
    3. Zamir White - He suffered a second ACL on his other leg before the start of the season. There's a lot of uncertainty about whether he can get back to HS form.
    4. OL - Pittman is building a beast of an OL, with 5*'s backing 5*'s. There's a ton of talented depth to run behind, which is very important to 5* RBs.
    5. Academics - Kirby will pitch academics to Trey. "Come to UGA and get a great education."

Finally, there's the Nolan Smith factor. Smith also plays for IMG and from what I've read he's relentless recruiting guys he wants to play for Georgia. He's in both Sanders and Neal's ear. If you look at the CB's they trend toward Bama, so we'll see how it goes.
    Your 5 points are the mirror image of what we sell. Where do you think Kirby got it. We always play the best players regardless of their age or time in the program. Sanders really cannot go wrong with either program except that Bama is a proven National Championship Contender year in and year out with no signs of slowing down.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBreeze View Post
    Your 5 points are the mirror image of what we sell. Where do you think Kirby got it. We always play the best players regardless of their age or time in the program. Sanders really cannot go wrong with either program except that Bama is a proven National Championship Contender year in and year out with no signs of slowing down.
    I know where Kirby got it - CNS. Georgia is a mirror of Bama, which is the ultimate compliment to Saban.

BamaNation All-American CoolBreeze's Avatar

I know where Kirby got it - CNS. Georgia is a mirror of Bama, which is the ultimate compliment to Saban.
    Sanders may very well choose UGA and really would have a fine career there. I would also say the Georgia will continue to trend upwards going forward. But Bama is solid. We are going to win with you or without you. If we whiff on Sanders there are a couple chomping on the bid to get on board with the Tide because we will turn them into successful people on and off the field. More importantly, however, their draft stock will skyrocket.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

BamaNation All-American

So...both schools offer essentially the same things. What's the differentiator? A "feeling"? In the final analysis, does that make Nolan Smith the pivot point around which Sander's and Neal's decision revolves ? Sanders and Neal both have been either Alabama commitments or considered strong Alabama leans. If either or both sign with UGA , I can't see how that could be interpreted as anything but a rather significant " upset" in the recruiting game. I know that Jam has a high confidence level on those two, and he's well connected. Hope he's right. Also, I get kind of eeyorish with this stuff anyway!! 😀

BamaNation First Team

You are wasting your time defending Kirby Smart here. He negative recruits against Bama ALL THE TIME. His job and future at Georgia depends on one thing- beating Alabama and winning a national title. His tactics are pretty well documented on this end. And Bama offers everything you mentioned in your post. Except the Nolan Smith factor.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tideflyer View Post
    So...both schools offer essentially the same things. What's the differentiator? A "feeling"? In the final analysis, does that make Nolan Smith the pivot point around which Sander's and Neal's decision revolves ? Sanders and Neal both have been either Alabama commitments or considered strong Alabama leans. If either or both sign with UGA , I can't see how that could be interpreted as anything but a rather significant " upset" in the recruiting game. I know that Jam has a high confidence level on those two, and he's well connected. Hope he's right. Also, I get kind of eeyorish with this stuff anyway!! ��
    Championships VS Crying at the end of each Season
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar

Your mirror has no national titles.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPokeChop View Post
    Sort of a funhouse mirror then.
    ----
    B.A. from The University of Alabama (during the Fran/Shula years) so don't question my fandom.

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPokeChop View Post
    Ya got me!;-) Yes, we're absent the national titles. I was speaking in terms of how the program is being modeled (overall philosophy, processes etc.).

As a side note it will be very interesting to me to see how Mel Tucker models his program at Colorado. Tucker is also part of the Saban coaching tree. Will he follow the Saban methodology or strike out on his own. Time will tell.

BamaNation All-American

Ya got me!;-) Yes, we're absent the national titles. I was speaking in terms of how the program is being modeled (overall philosophy, processes etc.).

As a side note it will be very interesting to me to see how Mel Tucker models his program at Colorado. Tucker is also part of the Saban coaching tree. Will he follow the Saban methodology or strike out on his own. Time will tell.
    Id be more worried about fields and ford transferring rn if I was a dawg fan

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by jambama1 View Post
    I’d be more worried about fields and ford transferring rn if I was a dawg fan
    Neither is transferring according to my sources.