2019 5* RB Trey Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I am almost positive there is already a thread on Trey but searched and could not find. Trey was committed but de-committed last year and he is trending back toward Bama with several recent CB's to Bama. Long way to go but we are definitely a big time player for Trey.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
it still in the works, but hopefully it will be iron out soon but his older brother ( JUCO) looks like he will be offer a PWO ( preferred walk-on) . that latest development is the main force driving Trey back into the Bama fold. don't get me wrong, Trey was once committed to Bama and always favored Bama in his Top 3 schools, but getting his older brother to join him doesn't hurt one bit. and by no means his Umstead a bad player, he has potential to contribute in an area of need as well.
let's hope for the best for everyone involved.

https://247sports.com/Player/Umstead-Sanders-46045744

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
it still in the works, but hopefully it will be iron out soon but his older brother ( JUCO) looks like he will be offer a PWO ( preferred walk-on) . that latest development is the main force driving Trey back into the Bama fold. don't get me wrong, Trey was once committed to Bama and always favored Bama in his Top 3 schools, but getting his older brother to join him doesn't hurt one bit. and by no means his Umstead a bad player, he has potential to contribute in an area of need as well.
let's hope for the best for everyone involved.

https://247sports.com/Player/Umstead-Sanders-46045744
A lot of folks here were opposed to Saban doing this for Sopsher.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I don’t know the difference between a preferred walk on and any other type of [edit] walk on. Perhaps someone could enlighten me. I would think there is a considerable difference between a situation where we are offering someone a walk on slot versus a scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I don’t know the difference between a preferred walk on and any other type of wall color. Perhaps someone could enlighten me. I would think there is a considerable difference between a situation where we are offering someone a walk on slot versus a scholarship.

"In some instances, a college coach or recruiter may designate an athlete as a "preferred walk-on" during the scouting process. In this situation, the athlete is assured a spot on the team, but the coach is unable or unwilling to offer a scholarship."

now with that said, there's a chance for his brother to get a full scholarship based on his performance and need down the line.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
"In some instances, a college coach or recruiter may designate an athlete as a "preferred walk-on" during the scouting process. In this situation, the athlete is assured a spot on the team, but the coach is unable or unwilling to offer a scholarship."

now with that said, there's a chance for his brother to get a full scholarship based on his performance and need down the line.
Don`t think for one iota of a second that our competition won`t do this in an instant for a recruit who looks to be an exceptional talent, all the while as we travel the " high road " and couch it in terms of " Not letting the inmates run the asylum ". A lot of these kids are probably athletic enough to help out on special teams while working to earn a scholarship. I`m sure CNS knows all of this.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
Don`t think for one iota of a second that our competition won`t do this in an instant for a recruit who looks to be an exceptional talent, all the while as we travel the " high road " and couch it in terms of " Not letting the inmates run the asylum ". A lot of these kids are probably athletic enough to help out on special teams while working to earn a scholarship. I`m sure CNS knows all of this.
I read that his brother had committed to Florida as a PWO, which is why he was considering them. I guess that commitment wasn't so solid.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
It’s no different than jay barkers son having a spot on the 105. I agree you don’t give a scholarship to him. Trey really wants to be at Bama. As good as our current rb stable is with trey and the guys next year watch out. Also, the number one OT next year from Ohio Paris Johnson came to Saban’s camp when he was in 6th grade. There is a pic of him now and when he was in sixth grade with Saban. I think this class and next will go all time 2017 status

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
The way it sounds, I don’t think Bama and Coach Saban have done anything unseemly by offering the other player as a PWO. If he is not a scholly player then offering him a scholly would be undesirable. I don’t have a problem saying the other player is guaranteed a walk-on spot, though. What does that really cost and what is the harm?

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
It’s no different than jay barkers son having a spot on the 105. I agree you don’t give a scholarship to him. Trey really wants to be at Bama. As good as our current rb stable is with trey and the guys next year watch out. Also, the number one OT next year from Ohio Paris Johnson came to Saban’s camp when he was in 6th grade. There is a pic of him now and when he was in sixth grade with Saban. I think this class and next will go all time 2017 status
https://twitter.com/RTRnews/status/1003035756615622656

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
The way it sounds, I don’t think Bama and Coach Saban have done anything unseemly by offering the other player as a PWO. If he is not a scholly player then offering him a scholly would be undesirable. I don’t have a problem saying the other player is guaranteed a walk-on spot, though. What does that really cost and what is the harm?

It would not at all surprise me if the fact that every other school would do this in a heartbeat for a recruit of Trey`s stature is conveniently ignored and CNS gets roundly criticized, if not pilloried, if he does this. Why? Because he`s the king and it galls a lot of people that he is. While I do think much of it stems from jealousy and envy, I think that you would not have to look hard to find folks who simply do not like him.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I would give anything to pull Johnson out of Urban's backyard. Would be marvelous. Tall and his arms look even longer. Proto looking OT.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I would give anything to pull Johnson out of Urban's backyard. Would be marvelous. Tall and his arms look even longer. Proto looking OT.
Me too, but hard to imagine Urban letting him slip away. I could be wrong, but it`s been my impression that he gets who he wants from Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.