Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 60
  1. #14
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Posts
    38,846

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    I agree Jay, 20 bowls max. As for the SEC tie in to the Bham Bowl and Independence Bowl, both venues are in SEC country and would more likely be a better draw for any SEC team rather than going to some bowl in Boise, Idaho or Flagstaff, NM.
    Totally agree. People complain about how bad the bowl season is. Thereís your fix right here.


    The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

    from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  2. Advertisement
  3. #15
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,493

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    While I agree that you should actually have at least a winning record to make a bowl game, all they are doing is hurting themselves with this. Like so many of these rules different leagues come up with it's foolish.

    The SEC is stupid for not having the exact same academic standards as the Sun Belt or C-USA. Who really cares that a football player graduates with a 3.7 in something like Human Studies or some other major no one knows about? I mean, we are all very proud of our guys when they graduate, myself included, but let's be honest please? Coach Saban wants these guys to have that degree, to be able to help themselves and their families financially down the road, but his primary concern is that they stay academically eligible while on the football team, right? He never wants to have to worry about not having every single player available to him come the bowl season when we are playing for a title. Remember when you used to have to wait to see who all was going to make the bowl trip? Not so much now.

    The ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12 all want to brag about how many great academic institutions they have as members, but what did the kid from tOSU say? We ain't here to play no school? He was the most honest person on the television that day. To 99% of the viewing public, those folks who buy the tickets, support the advertisers, etc., they (we) could care less what that star linebacker's major is, but he damn sure better not miss any tackles on Saturday. So if everyone WAS honest with one another there would be an across the board minimum standard for scholarship athletes in all sports at all schools, period. The idea of having some sort of higher standard for kids who want to play at LSU than what they'd be allowed at LaTech is idiotic to me. That a guy can be denied entrance to Alabama but can go straight to Southern Miss, yet they can turn around and play against Alabama that next fall, that both schools can call themselves 'DI' is ridiculous.

    All the PAC 12 is doing is costing themselves more television revenue and costing that school that may have gotten into a bowl at 5-7 those 20 practices and that chance to get to a bigger bowl game later on, which could potentially make that conference a LOT of money. For what? For some sort of trumped up standards when they are just as willing to play the Weber State's of the world as anyone (no offence to Weber State. I am sure it's a fine school). If they wanted to climb WAY up on their high horse they could just say we refuse to play anyone who doesn't adhere to the same academic standards that all PAC 12 schools must. Now THAT would be pretty cool.

    jmo rtr

  4. #16
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    160

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    I will never really comprehend the amount of whining about the number of bowls. Nobody on this planet is harmed by San Jose State taking on MIddle Tennessee in a battle of 7 win teams. Nobody thinks itís for a national championship. It takes nothing away from the playoff or the bigger bowls. Itís just whining from the perspective of fans who donít think they ďdeserve it.Ē If it hurts the school budget the turn it down. If you donít care about the game then donít watch it. If it hurts your feelings then get a tissue.
    Last edited by RollTARDIS; June 9th, 2018 at 04:56 AM.

  5. #17
    BamaNation Hall of Fame KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,056

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Meaningful bowls are the participation trophies of college football. Some might say oh well what harm does it do? It devalues the bowl games. They used to mean a lot, they used to be a big deal, but now they mean less and less. Sometimes you have a crappy season and go to a crappy bowl, sometimes you have a great season and go to a great bowl. But I have go look them up to figure out which is which, because there are so many crappy bowls that I literally have to google them to figure this out.

    It's kind of like saying, what harm does it do with their being 130 FBS teams? Then you have a team go undefeated by playing a season full of cupcakes and declare themselves national champion. You don't need all the crap mucking thing sup. You want to preserve the integrity of the sport, you start by saying we should have some standards.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; June 9th, 2018 at 05:02 AM.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

  6. #18
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boaz, AL USA
    Posts
    10,011
    Thread Starter

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    This high-minded, superior intellectualism is one reason the PAC will not expand into Texas. They don't really want the religious schools and they really don't want the hillbilly/cowboy teams. Rule out the Bible-thumpers and the rednecks and you are left with only the West Coast elite.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

  7. #19
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17,737

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Meaningful bowls are the participation trophies of college football. Some might say oh well what harm does it do? It devalues the bowl games. They used to mean a lot, they used to be a big deal, but now they mean less and less.
    No one is less excited about playing in the Sugar Bowl because some other team got to play in the Poinsettia Bowl. If those bigger bowls mean less it is because of the CFP, not the minor bowl games.

  8. #20
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    10,958

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    I agree there are a bunch of bowls no one cares about. But I donít lose sleep over it. I just donít watch games I donít care about.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #21
    BamaNation Hall of Fame KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,056

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    No one is less excited about playing in the Sugar Bowl because some other team got to play in the Poinsettia Bowl. If those bigger bowls mean less it is because of the CFP, not the minor bowl games.
    It isn't so much about some other team, as just over-saturation period. For instance, by the time Fournette decided to sit out his final bowl game, he'd already been to two other bowl games, the Music City Bowl, and the prestigious Texas Bowl. So, it really wasn't a big deal for him to sit out the Citrus Bowl, he'd already been to two before. Now, may be nothing changes about that particular scenario, but we have reached the point we're sending good teams to bowl games with 0 history, and in turn players are going to a bowl game every single year. We can't expect them to feel the same way about bowl games that America in general felt in the past (does Alabama even care any more about their bowl game record, heck do they still have it?), because the general sentiment has changed. A bowl game simply is no longer a reward for a great season, and it means less because of that, even the bigger ones, because they have to sit in the same muck as everything else.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

  10. #22
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Gadsden, Al.
    Posts
    5,380

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    I remember when a bowl game was a reward for a successful season.

    Now, with so many bowls, you can have an awful season, 5-7, and still get a bid.
    Years ago, a six win season was 6 out of 8 or 9. A six win season was an accomplishment. Teams didn't 'Automatically' get a Bowl Bid with 6 wins either. There were not very many bowls, and it was an honor to be picked to go 'Bowling'. Now, Not So Much...

  11. #23
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17,737

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    It isn't so much about some other team, as just over-saturation period. For instance, by the time Fournette decided to sit out his final bowl game, he'd already been to two other bowl games, the Music City Bowl, and the prestigious Texas Bowl. So, it really wasn't a big deal for him to sit out the Citrus Bowl, he'd already been to two before. Now, may be nothing changes about that particular scenario, but we have reached the point we're sending good teams to bowl games with 0 history, and in turn players are going to a bowl game every single year. We can't expect them to feel the same way about bowl games that America in general felt in the past (does Alabama even care any more about their bowl game record, heck do they still have it?), because the general sentiment has changed. A bowl game simply is no longer a reward for a great season, and it means less because of that, even the bigger ones, because they have to sit in the same muck as everything else.
    Well, I disagree with your logic and your conclusion, but that's cool.


  12. #24
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boaz, AL USA
    Posts
    10,011
    Thread Starter

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    It isn't so much about some other team, as just over-saturation period.
    What would we call a 6-6 team? Average? Certainly not good. Try scoring 50% in school and you get an 'F'. I really don't care if they have 65 bowls so each FBS team can go -- just don't tell me to watch.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

  13. #25
    BamaNation All-American Probius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vestavia Hills, AL
    Posts
    4,615

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Most teams get 3 gimme wins against cupcakes, so this means to get into a bowl game they need only win 3 of their other 9 games. A record of 3-6 in real games gets a team into a bowl game. I can't imagine how much lower they could possibly lower the bar.
    ďYou yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.Ē - The Buddha

    Formerly Crimson Flyboy.

  14. #26
    BamaNation Hall of Fame KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,056

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    What would we call a 6-6 team? Average? Certainly not good. Try scoring 50% in school and you get an 'F'. I really don't care if they have 65 bowls so each FBS team can go -- just don't tell me to watch.
    My point was, the Sugar Bowl doesn't mean less to a player because some other team is in another bowl game, the Sugar Bowl means less to a player because the bowl experience itself has been devalued as a whole.

    I mean if it was up to me, there would be a hard cap on the number of bowls, with preference for historical significance, and every team would have to have a winning record. Then, it would mean a bit more. You'd have to actually earn it, and what you earned would have some significance. You can't take a brand new bowl you just made up, and then put a couple 6-6 teams in there and not taint the bowl experience. And yes, I do disagree with anyone who says otherwise, heh.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar