Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    My point was, the Sugar Bowl doesn't mean less to a player because some other team is in another bowl game, the Sugar Bowl means less to a player because the bowl experience itself has been devalued as a whole.

I mean if it was up to me, there would be a hard cap on the number of bowls, with preference for historical significance, and every team would have to have a winning record. Then, it would mean a bit more. You'd have to actually earn it, and what you earned would have some significance. You can't take a brand new bowl you just made up, and then put a couple 6-6 teams in there and not taint the bowl experience. And yes, I do disagree with anyone who says otherwise, heh.
    I remember when they added the Peach bowl and we were excited that we had ten bowls. How times have changed.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

My point was, the Sugar Bowl doesn't mean less to a player because some other team is in another bowl game, the Sugar Bowl means less to a player because the bowl experience itself has been devalued as a whole.

I mean if it was up to me, there would be a hard cap on the number of bowls, with preference for historical significance, and every team would have to have a winning record. Then, it would mean a bit more. You'd have to actually earn it, and what you earned would have some significance. You can't take a brand new bowl you just made up, and then put a couple 6-6 teams in there and not taint the bowl experience. And yes, I do disagree with anyone who says otherwise, heh.
    Iím trying to remember the last time there was a good Sugar Bowl without the CFP Semifinal logo beside it. I think 2012 VT vs Michigan. Other than that itís been 1 team wanting to be there and 1 team not. I think there are better competition in lesser bowls than the Sugar.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Iím trying to remember the last time there was a good Sugar Bowl without the CFP Semifinal logo beside it. I think 2012 VT vs Michigan. Other than that itís been 1 team wanting to be there and 1 team not. I think there are better competition in lesser bowls than the Sugar.
    In the big name bowls that arenít playoff games, youíll have one team mad they didnít make the playoffs and one team pumped they made a big time bowl. So you have results like when we played Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    In the big name bowls that aren’t playoff games, you’ll have one team mad they didn’t make the playoffs and one team pumped they made a big time bowl. So you have results like when we played Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hadn't thought about that. Five Power 5 championship losers will be disappointed in their New Years Day bowl game and wish they were in "that bowl that counts" for something. They will be just going thru the motions and their heart will be elsewhere especially if they are playing a 'no name' like UCF or Utah.
    Last edited by Redwood Forrest; June 11th, 2018 at 07:08 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    In the big name bowls that aren’t playoff games, you’ll have one team mad they didn’t make the playoffs and one team pumped they made a big time bowl. So you have results like when we played Utah.
    Happens in a few of these bowls every year now, and really dates back to the BCS era. Teams are so focused on making the playoff (or BCSCG) that anything short of achieving that goal is a disappointment. It was a trade-off that the sport needed, but it has resulted in some crazy match-ups and upsets in the "New Year's" bowl games.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    I remember when they added the Peach bowl and we were excited that we had ten bowls. How times have changed.
    You realize that was 50 years ago, right? Yeah, a whole lot has changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    You realize that was 50 years ago, right? Yeah, a whole lot has changed since then.
    Rose 1902
    orange 1935
    sugar 1935
    sun 1936
    cotton 1937
    tangerine 1937
    gator 1946
    camellia 1948
    liberty 1959
    peach 1968

I lost a bet on that first Peach Bowl. LSU beat FSU by 4, but I had FSU and 3 pts.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Report: Three bowl games to be added in 2020

"Some college football fans think there should be less bowl games, while others want more. It looks like the latter might get their wish as soon as the 2020 season. According to college football expert Brett McMurphy, the NCAA’s competition committee has recommended the addition of three new bowl games."

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/06/r...es-added-2020/

Quote Originally Posted by ALA2262 View Post

Report: Three bowl games to be added in 2020

"Some college football fans think there should be less bowl games, while others want more. It looks like the latter might get their wish as soon as the 2020 season. According to college football expert Brett McMurphy, the NCAA’s competition committee has recommended the addition of three new bowl games."

http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/06/r...es-added-2020/

They need to pass a rule so teams with losing records can qualify automatically, like good sportsmanship or something. More bowls means more losers to fill the spots.

They need to pass a rule so teams with losing records can qualify automatically, like good sportsmanship or something. More bowls means more losers to fill the spots.
    Well, if people really loves bowls so much why not just have every single team play in one? Just add the game on an automatic basis, we can have some fun ones, like the Loser Bowl with two 10+ loss teams pitted against each other. I mean Duke could have had their 12th loss! That would have been amazing. Why exclude anyone at all? More football amirite?
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-SEC

Rose 1902
    orange 1935
    sugar 1935
    sun 1936
    cotton 1937
    tangerine 1937
    gator 1946
    camellia 1948
    liberty 1959
    peach 1968

I lost a bet on that first Peach Bowl. LSU beat FSU by 4, but I had FSU and 3 pts.
    The Sun Bowl dates to 1936! Some of these games have some really deep history.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Well, if people really loves bowls so much why not just have every single team play in one? Just add the game on an automatic basis, we can have some fun ones, like the Loser Bowl with two 10+ loss teams pitted against each other. I mean Duke could have had their 12th loss! That would have been amazing. Why exclude anyone at all? More football amirite?
    You act like all bowls with the exception of the playoffs should be disbanded. Iím for getting rid of some bowls and just having the top 40% make a bowl, but getting rid of all of them except the NY6 is looney.