Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 60
  1. #40
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    1,142

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by RollTARDIS View Post
    I will never really comprehend the amount of whining about the number of bowls. Nobody on this planet is harmed by San Jose State taking on MIddle Tennessee in a battle of 7 win teams. Nobody thinks itís for a national championship. It takes nothing away from the playoff or the bigger bowls. Itís just whining from the perspective of fans who donít think they ďdeserve it.Ē If it hurts the school budget the turn it down. If you donít care about the game then donít watch it. If it hurts your feelings then get a tissue.
    Actually - and not that it matters, but just as an aside; but MOST schools who go "Bowling" these days make Little to NOTHING when it comes to their NET result, and quite a few actually LOSE money to play in the lower bowls.

    If memory serves, not so many years ago, the barn had to "Guarantee" a certain amount of ticket sales to some bowl they were going to as a condition of getting a bid, and though they never admitted it, one of the newspapers projected that the bowl trip was COSTING them money.

  2. Advertisement
  3. #41
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    1,142

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    My point was, the Sugar Bowl doesn't mean less to a player because some other team is in another bowl game, the Sugar Bowl means less to a player because the bowl experience itself has been devalued as a whole.

    I mean if it was up to me, there would be a hard cap on the number of bowls, with preference for historical significance, and every team would have to have a winning record. Then, it would mean a bit more. You'd have to actually earn it, and what you earned would have some significance. You can't take a brand new bowl you just made up, and then put a couple 6-6 teams in there and not taint the bowl experience. And yes, I do disagree with anyone who says otherwise, heh.
    This ^^^ OF course, since "Mammon" rules the game these days, let's not hold our breath waiting for THAT to happen!

    And in the same Vein, the PAC-12 rule is just so much EMPTY POSTURING. When was the last time a PAC team with only 5 wins went to a bowl??? Yea, that would be about NEVER.

    IF they wanted to make an Actual "STATEMENT" about the "quality of the game" or some other meaningless platitude, they'd pass a rule that ONLY teams with 7 FBS wins could go to bowls. But they won't - because THAT rule might have actual consequences - unlike this phony-balony "rule" they passed.

  4. #42
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16,835

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromBama View Post
    Actually - and not that it matters, but just as an aside; but MOST schools who go "Bowling" these days make Little to NOTHING when it comes to their NET result, and quite a few actually LOSE money to play in the lower bowls.

    If memory serves, not so many years ago, the barn had to "Guarantee" a certain amount of ticket sales to some bowl they were going to as a condition of getting a bid, and though they never admitted it, one of the newspapers projected that the bowl trip was COSTING them money.
    I think that it depends on how conferences split up bowl revenue. Most conferences put it all into a single bucket and spilt it up equally among the members. So, it might cost a school more to travel to a bowl game than the conference is paid by that bowl, but schools in the SEC or B1G get paid plenty to cover that expense.

  5. #43
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16,835

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Well, if people really loves bowls so much why not just have every single team play in one? Just add the game on an automatic basis, we can have some fun ones, like the Loser Bowl with two 10+ loss teams pitted against each other. I mean Duke could have had their 12th loss! That would have been amazing. Why exclude anyone at all? More football amirite?
    I wouldn't complain if they did this.

  6. #44
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sylacauga,AL
    Posts
    7,932

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I think that it depends on how conferences split up bowl revenue. Most conferences put it all into a single bucket and spilt it up equally among the members. So, it might cost a school more to travel to a bowl game than the conference is paid by that bowl, but schools in the SEC or B1G get paid plenty to cover that expense.
    According to this Bama lost money for both the Texas and LSU BCSNCG

    https://www.google.com/amp/miami.cbs...r-schools/amp/

  7. #45
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Arlington, Tx
    Posts
    1,381

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I wouldn't complain if they did this.
    I wouldn't either. I stated earlier that, meaningless or not to me, I enjoy bowl season. I know we are in the last month of college football availability, which will be followed by a drought during which time fans will argue endless over who should be playing what positions, coaching here or there, what color hate to wear, whether we should go to white helmets (of course we should), etc. So, I want as much college football as I can get before it ends. Besides that, it may be meaningless to Alabama fans that Barely Can Play State made it to a bowl for the first time in X years, but it might mean a whole lot to fans of that team. So let them have it. Could be our team barely getting a shot at the postseason (have we forgotten when that was the case?). As a Troy grad, I enjoy it when my school gets to make it into whatever "meaningless" bowl they can.

  8. #46
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16,835

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    According to this Bama lost money for both the Texas and LSU BCSNCG

    https://www.google.com/amp/miami.cbs...r-schools/amp/
    If Alabama lost money on the 2011 BCSCG, you did it on purpose. That game was close, and selling your ticket allotment would not have been a problem. Probably more about all of the extra people that Alabama brings to these games.

  9. #47
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    1,142

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    Well, if people really loves bowls so much why not just have every single team play in one? Just add the game on an automatic basis, we can have some fun ones, like the Loser Bowl with two 10+ loss teams pitted against each other. I mean Duke could have had their 12th loss! That would have been amazing. Why exclude anyone at all? More football amirite?
    I wouldn't complain if they did this.
    I wouldn't complain either - nor would I watch.

    Frankly, I can't remember the last time I watched any football game from start to finish when Alabama (OR our next opponent) wasn't one of the teams playing.

    I can still "Wink" and "Squint" enough to see "college football" when it's Alabama out there - but when it's almost anyone else......

  10. #48
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,485

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    If Alabama lost money on the 2011 BCSCG, you did it on purpose. That game was close, and selling your ticket allotment would not have been a problem. Probably more about all of the extra people that Alabama brings to these games.
    I think so. CMM and CNS never scrimped when it came to rewarding everyone involved in the success of the program (so I have heard. I have no personal knowledge of this).

    rtr

  11. #49
    BamaNation Hall of Fame KrAzY3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7,922

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    You act like all bowls with the exception of the playoffs should be disbanded. I’m for getting rid of some bowls and just having the top 40% make a bowl, but getting rid of all of them except the NY6 is looney.
    I didn't say anything of the sort, heck I want the playoffs disbanded, not the bowl games. But teams without winning records playing in ten year old bowls is joke in my opinion. Bowls have such a rich history, I hate to see them degraded in such fashion. They are part of why people grew to love college football so much. No one grew to love football because of the GoDaddy bowl game though...

    Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    I wouldn't complain if they did this.
    I would, a lot, heh...
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

  12. #50
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    16,835

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I would, a lot, heh...
    Well, it was your idea.

  13. #51
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boaz, AL USA
    Posts
    9,796
    Thread Starter

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    This whole "deserves a bowl" thing is about as accurate (in today's world) as that clause in the Heisman about "character." Neither applies any longer. It is only us old codgers who can't accept the new norm.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

  14. #52
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    1,142

    Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

    Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I didn't say anything of the sort, heck I want the playoffs disbanded, not the bowl games. But teams without winning records playing in ten year old bowls is joke in my opinion. Bowls have such a rich history, I hate to see them degraded in such fashion. They are part of why people grew to love college football so much. No one grew to love football because of the GoDaddy bowl game though...
    AAAAAAAAAAA-Men!

    Put me in the column in favor of the "Bad Ole' Days"!!! Let Saban, Meyer, Swinney, etc. get on a conference call and hash it all out in the first week of December, and let the chips fall where they may!


    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    This whole "deserves a bowl" thing is about as accurate (in today's world) as that clause in the Heisman about "character." Neither applies any longer. It is only us old codgers who can't accept the new norm.
    Well, I'd say "refuse to accept the new 'manure' over the long-standing norms we abandoned."

    But otherwise I agree....


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

[CLICK] GET BAMA Calendar

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!

Bama Gear up to 60% off!

TideFansStore.com - Fanatics up to 60% off through midnight 6/11!