Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
"The Pac-12 is committed to supporting the highest quality of competition at post-season bowl games," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement to The Associated Press on Monday. "In requiring a minimum of six regular season wins our goal is to support the significance of the bowl season and provide our fans around the country with the most exciting games featuring our leading Pac-12 teams."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...quiring-6-wins-for-bowl-eligibility/35690261/

Way to go Larry, you have set the bar high with that 6-6 record business, one of which can be a Jr. College win. ;)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
"The Pac-12 is committed to supporting the highest quality of competition at post-season bowl games," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement to The Associated Press on Monday. "In requiring a minimum of six regular season wins our goal is to support the significance of the bowl season and provide our fans around the country with the most exciting games featuring our leading Pac-12 teams."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...quiring-6-wins-for-bowl-eligibility/35690261/

Way to go Larry, you have set the bar high with that 6-6 record business, one of which can be a Jr. College win. ;)
MSU got in with a 5-7 record a few years ago... just saying

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

Actually, a 6-7 PAC-12 team can still go (that happened in 2011 when UCLA went 6-6 and then lost the PAC-12 title game). They actually finished the season at 6-8.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I remember when a bowl game was a reward for a successful season.

Now, with so many bowls, you can have an awful season, 5-7, and still get a bid.
I’m okay with many bowls but I really think if you have a 5-7 season then you shouldn’t go to any bowl but the toilet bowl. But most most of this crap starts with the ridiculous amount of bowl tie ins. Tell me one good reason the SEC has a tie into the Bham bowl and Independence bowl.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
What is lost in all this is that they are surrendering the opportunity to have one of its teams make some money in a bowl game, get in an extra month of practice time, and get some national exposure for themselves and their conference. I am 100% behind the argument that there are too many bowl games and the system is watered down. No disagreement from me. But there is a system in place that some schools can get in a bowl game at 5-7 in order to fill open slots in available bowl games, and that is based on how the schools do academically. Why not let them play if there is an opening that they are qualified for? Overall, you are only hurting their chance to improve. But again, I am all for removing many of the bowls that are presently out there in order to remove the need for this entirely.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I’m okay with many bowls but I really think if you have a 5-7 season then you shouldn’t go to any bowl but the toilet bowl. But most most of this crap starts with the ridiculous amount of bowl tie ins. Tell me one good reason the SEC has a tie into the Bham bowl and Independence bowl.
We may not need those bowl tie-ins right now, but in the past we have. Can't always look at these things from where you are right now and have to consider it from where you have been or might be in the future. Though I hated that Alabama was in a position the best they could do was the Independence Bowl, I did enjoy taking my son to his first two Alabama games in my hometown just after Christmas those years. Smaller bowls are still a nice incentive for teams who are struggling and give you one shot at a little redemption.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Forget the reward aspect, or if you care about watching them. It doesn't hurt the sport in any way. Meanwhile, it helps the players on those teams. They get extra practice sessions that would not otherwise have been permitted.

IMO, the NCAA should allow every team to practice whether or not they are invited to a bowl. If that happened then schools would probably be less inclined to attend some of these bowl, and conferences would likely end some of the affiliations. The lower tier bowls generally cost the teams which participate more than the conferences are paid for that participation.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Forget the reward aspect, or if you care about watching them. It doesn't hurt the sport in any way. Meanwhile, it helps the players on those teams. They get extra practice sessions that would not otherwise have been permitted.

IMO, the NCAA should allow every team to practice whether or not they are invited to a bowl. If that happened then schools would probably be less inclined to attend some of these bowl, and conferences would likely end some of the affiliations. The lower tier bowls generally cost the teams which participate more than the conferences are paid for that participation.
I agree. Teams could start the process, for example, of implementing a new offensive system without having to worry about how that will impact their performance in an upcoming game. I do think that many fans, myself included, like having those bowl games on just because it is college football. I know I take in all I can during bowl season just because I know it is about to go away for 9 months, and I have to gorge myself to get my fill. But I know all the negatives to it as well.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Get rid of some of the bowls. Just way too many.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
I agree Jay, 20 bowls max. As for the SEC tie in to the Bham Bowl and Independence Bowl, both venues are in SEC country and would more likely be a better draw for any SEC team rather than going to some bowl in Boise, Idaho or Flagstaff, NM.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
MSU got in with a 5-7 record a few years ago... just saying
Oh, I wasn't lauding the SEC or anything like that. What I was doing was poking fun at high-minded attitude of the Pac 12. They are "supporting the highest quality of competition" with this 6-6 record stuff. Hah. Want to really support high competition in bowl attendance? Make the Pac 12 requirement 8-4 or 9-3.

I agree Jay, 20 bowls max. As for the SEC tie in to the Bham Bowl and Independence Bowl, both venues are in SEC country and would more likely be a better draw for any SEC team rather than going to some bowl in Boise, Idaho or Flagstaff, NM.
Totally agree. People complain about how bad the bowl season is. There’s your fix right here.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
While I agree that you should actually have at least a winning record to make a bowl game, all they are doing is hurting themselves with this. Like so many of these rules different leagues come up with it's foolish.

The SEC is stupid for not having the exact same academic standards as the Sun Belt or C-USA. Who really cares that a football player graduates with a 3.7 in something like Human Studies or some other major no one knows about? I mean, we are all very proud of our guys when they graduate, myself included, but let's be honest please? Coach Saban wants these guys to have that degree, to be able to help themselves and their families financially down the road, but his primary concern is that they stay academically eligible while on the football team, right? He never wants to have to worry about not having every single player available to him come the bowl season when we are playing for a title. Remember when you used to have to wait to see who all was going to make the bowl trip? Not so much now.

The ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12 all want to brag about how many great academic institutions they have as members, but what did the kid from tOSU say? We ain't here to play no school? He was the most honest person on the television that day. To 99% of the viewing public, those folks who buy the tickets, support the advertisers, etc., they (we) could care less what that star linebacker's major is, but he damn sure better not miss any tackles on Saturday. So if everyone WAS honest with one another there would be an across the board minimum standard for scholarship athletes in all sports at all schools, period. The idea of having some sort of higher standard for kids who want to play at LSU than what they'd be allowed at LaTech is idiotic to me. That a guy can be denied entrance to Alabama but can go straight to Southern Miss, yet they can turn around and play against Alabama that next fall, that both schools can call themselves 'DI' is ridiculous.

All the PAC 12 is doing is costing themselves more television revenue and costing that school that may have gotten into a bowl at 5-7 those 20 practices and that chance to get to a bigger bowl game later on, which could potentially make that conference a LOT of money. For what? For some sort of trumped up standards when they are just as willing to play the Weber State's of the world as anyone (no offence to Weber State. I am sure it's a fine school). If they wanted to climb WAY up on their high horse they could just say we refuse to play anyone who doesn't adhere to the same academic standards that all PAC 12 schools must. Now THAT would be pretty cool.

jmo rtr

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
I will never really comprehend the amount of whining about the number of bowls. Nobody on this planet is harmed by San Jose State taking on MIddle Tennessee in a battle of 7 win teams. Nobody thinks it’s for a national championship. It takes nothing away from the playoff or the bigger bowls. It’s just whining from the perspective of fans who don’t think they “deserve it.” If it hurts the school budget the turn it down. If you don’t care about the game then don’t watch it. If it hurts your feelings then get a tissue.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Meaningful bowls are the participation trophies of college football. Some might say oh well what harm does it do? It devalues the bowl games. They used to mean a lot, they used to be a big deal, but now they mean less and less. Sometimes you have a crappy season and go to a crappy bowl, sometimes you have a great season and go to a great bowl. But I have go look them up to figure out which is which, because there are so many crappy bowls that I literally have to google them to figure this out.

It's kind of like saying, what harm does it do with their being 130 FBS teams? Then you have a team go undefeated by playing a season full of cupcakes and declare themselves national champion. You don't need all the crap mucking thing sup. You want to preserve the integrity of the sport, you start by saying we should have some standards.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This high-minded, superior intellectualism is one reason the PAC will not expand into Texas. They don't really want the religious schools and they really don't want the hillbilly/cowboy teams. Rule out the Bible-thumpers and the rednecks and you are left with only the West Coast elite.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Meaningful bowls are the participation trophies of college football. Some might say oh well what harm does it do? It devalues the bowl games. They used to mean a lot, they used to be a big deal, but now they mean less and less.
No one is less excited about playing in the Sugar Bowl because some other team got to play in the Poinsettia Bowl. If those bigger bowls mean less it is because of the CFP, not the minor bowl games.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I agree there are a bunch of bowls no one cares about. But I don’t lose sleep over it. I just don’t watch games I don’t care about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.