Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
No one is less excited about playing in the Sugar Bowl because some other team got to play in the Poinsettia Bowl. If those bigger bowls mean less it is because of the CFP, not the minor bowl games.
It isn't so much about some other team, as just over-saturation period. For instance, by the time Fournette decided to sit out his final bowl game, he'd already been to two other bowl games, the Music City Bowl, and the prestigious Texas Bowl. So, it really wasn't a big deal for him to sit out the Citrus Bowl, he'd already been to two before. Now, may be nothing changes about that particular scenario, but we have reached the point we're sending good teams to bowl games with 0 history, and in turn players are going to a bowl game every single year. We can't expect them to feel the same way about bowl games that America in general felt in the past (does Alabama even care any more about their bowl game record, heck do they still have it?), because the general sentiment has changed. A bowl game simply is no longer a reward for a great season, and it means less because of that, even the bigger ones, because they have to sit in the same muck as everything else.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I remember when a bowl game was a reward for a successful season.

Now, with so many bowls, you can have an awful season, 5-7, and still get a bid.
Years ago, a six win season was 6 out of 8 or 9. A six win season was an accomplishment. Teams didn't 'Automatically' get a Bowl Bid with 6 wins either. There were not very many bowls, and it was an honor to be picked to go 'Bowling'. Now, Not So Much...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It isn't so much about some other team, as just over-saturation period. For instance, by the time Fournette decided to sit out his final bowl game, he'd already been to two other bowl games, the Music City Bowl, and the prestigious Texas Bowl. So, it really wasn't a big deal for him to sit out the Citrus Bowl, he'd already been to two before. Now, may be nothing changes about that particular scenario, but we have reached the point we're sending good teams to bowl games with 0 history, and in turn players are going to a bowl game every single year. We can't expect them to feel the same way about bowl games that America in general felt in the past (does Alabama even care any more about their bowl game record, heck do they still have it?), because the general sentiment has changed. A bowl game simply is no longer a reward for a great season, and it means less because of that, even the bigger ones, because they have to sit in the same muck as everything else.
Well, I disagree with your logic and your conclusion, but that's cool.

:cheers2:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
It isn't so much about some other team, as just over-saturation period.
What would we call a 6-6 team? Average? Certainly not good. Try scoring 50% in school and you get an 'F'. I really don't care if they have 65 bowls so each FBS team can go -- just don't tell me to watch.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Most teams get 3 gimme wins against cupcakes, so this means to get into a bowl game they need only win 3 of their other 9 games. A record of 3-6 in real games gets a team into a bowl game. I can't imagine how much lower they could possibly lower the bar.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
What would we call a 6-6 team? Average? Certainly not good. Try scoring 50% in school and you get an 'F'. I really don't care if they have 65 bowls so each FBS team can go -- just don't tell me to watch.
My point was, the Sugar Bowl doesn't mean less to a player because some other team is in another bowl game, the Sugar Bowl means less to a player because the bowl experience itself has been devalued as a whole.

I mean if it was up to me, there would be a hard cap on the number of bowls, with preference for historical significance, and every team would have to have a winning record. Then, it would mean a bit more. You'd have to actually earn it, and what you earned would have some significance. You can't take a brand new bowl you just made up, and then put a couple 6-6 teams in there and not taint the bowl experience. And yes, I do disagree with anyone who says otherwise, heh.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My point was, the Sugar Bowl doesn't mean less to a player because some other team is in another bowl game, the Sugar Bowl means less to a player because the bowl experience itself has been devalued as a whole.

I mean if it was up to me, there would be a hard cap on the number of bowls, with preference for historical significance, and every team would have to have a winning record. Then, it would mean a bit more. You'd have to actually earn it, and what you earned would have some significance. You can't take a brand new bowl you just made up, and then put a couple 6-6 teams in there and not taint the bowl experience. And yes, I do disagree with anyone who says otherwise, heh.
I remember when they added the Peach bowl and we were excited that we had ten bowls. How times have changed.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

I’m trying to remember the last time there was a good Sugar Bowl without the CFP Semifinal logo beside it. I think 2012 VT vs Michigan. Other than that it’s been 1 team wanting to be there and 1 team not. I think there are better competition in lesser bowls than the Sugar.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I’m trying to remember the last time there was a good Sugar Bowl without the CFP Semifinal logo beside it. I think 2012 VT vs Michigan. Other than that it’s been 1 team wanting to be there and 1 team not. I think there are better competition in lesser bowls than the Sugar.
In the big name bowls that aren’t playoff games, you’ll have one team mad they didn’t make the playoffs and one team pumped they made a big time bowl. So you have results like when we played Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
In the big name bowls that aren’t playoff games, you’ll have one team mad they didn’t make the playoffs and one team pumped they made a big time bowl. So you have results like when we played Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hadn't thought about that. Five Power 5 championship losers will be disappointed in their New Years Day bowl game and wish they were in "that bowl that counts" for something. They will be just going thru the motions and their heart will be elsewhere especially if they are playing a 'no name' like UCF or Utah.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Happens in a few of these bowls every year now, and really dates back to the BCS era. Teams are so focused on making the playoff (or BCSCG) that anything short of achieving that goal is a disappointment. It was a trade-off that the sport needed, but it has resulted in some crazy match-ups and upsets in the "New Year's" bowl games.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
You realize that was 50 years ago, right? Yeah, a whole lot has changed since then.
Rose 1902
orange 1935
sugar 1935
sun 1936
cotton 1937
tangerine 1937
gator 1946
camellia 1948
liberty 1959
peach 1968

I lost a bet on that first Peach Bowl. LSU beat FSU by 4, but I had FSU and 3 pts.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
They need to pass a rule so teams with losing records can qualify automatically, like good sportsmanship or something. More bowls means more losers to fill the spots.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
They need to pass a rule so teams with losing records can qualify automatically, like good sportsmanship or something. More bowls means more losers to fill the spots.
Well, if people really loves bowls so much why not just have every single team play in one? Just add the game on an automatic basis, we can have some fun ones, like the Loser Bowl with two 10+ loss teams pitted against each other. I mean Duke could have had their 12th loss! That would have been amazing. Why exclude anyone at all? More football amirite?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Rose 1902
orange 1935
sugar 1935
sun 1936
cotton 1937
tangerine 1937
gator 1946
camellia 1948
liberty 1959
peach 1968

I lost a bet on that first Peach Bowl. LSU beat FSU by 4, but I had FSU and 3 pts.
The Sun Bowl dates to 1936! Some of these games have some really deep history.

rtr

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well, if people really loves bowls so much why not just have every single team play in one? Just add the game on an automatic basis, we can have some fun ones, like the Loser Bowl with two 10+ loss teams pitted against each other. I mean Duke could have had their 12th loss! That would have been amazing. Why exclude anyone at all? More football amirite?
You act like all bowls with the exception of the playoffs should be disbanded. I’m for getting rid of some bowls and just having the top 40% make a bowl, but getting rid of all of them except the NY6 is looney.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I will never really comprehend the amount of whining about the number of bowls. Nobody on this planet is harmed by San Jose State taking on MIddle Tennessee in a battle of 7 win teams. Nobody thinks it’s for a national championship. It takes nothing away from the playoff or the bigger bowls. It’s just whining from the perspective of fans who don’t think they “deserve it.” If it hurts the school budget the turn it down. If you don’t care about the game then don’t watch it. If it hurts your feelings then get a tissue.
Actually - and not that it matters, but just as an aside; but MOST schools who go "Bowling" these days make Little to NOTHING when it comes to their NET result, and quite a few actually LOSE money to play in the lower bowls.

If memory serves, not so many years ago, the barn had to "Guarantee" a certain amount of ticket sales to some bowl they were going to as a condition of getting a bid, and though they never admitted it, one of the newspapers projected that the bowl trip was COSTING them money.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.