Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

"The Pac-12 is committed to supporting the highest quality of competition at post-season bowl games," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement to The Associated Press on Monday. "In requiring a minimum of six regular season wins our goal is to support the significance of the bowl season and provide our fans around the country with the most exciting games featuring our leading Pac-12 teams."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lity/35690261/

Way to go Larry, you have set the bar high with that 6-6 record business, one of which can be a Jr. College win.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

Re: Pac 12 passes 6-win rule to go bowling

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    "The Pac-12 is committed to supporting the highest quality of competition at post-season bowl games," Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement to The Associated Press on Monday. "In requiring a minimum of six regular season wins our goal is to support the significance of the bowl season and provide our fans around the country with the most exciting games featuring our leading Pac-12 teams."

Way to go Larry, you have set the bar high with that 6-6 record business, one of which can be a Jr. College win.
    MSU got in with a 5-7 record a few years ago... just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post

Actually, a 6-7 PAC-12 team can still go (that happened in 2011 when UCLA went 6-6 and then lost the PAC-12 title game). They actually finished the season at 6-8.

BamaNation First Team Its On A Slab's Avatar

I remember when a bowl game was a reward for a successful season.

Now, with so many bowls, you can have an awful season, 5-7, and still get a bid.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Its On A Slab View Post
    I remember when a bowl game was a reward for a successful season.

Now, with so many bowls, you can have an awful season, 5-7, and still get a bid.
    I’m okay with many bowls but I really think if you have a 5-7 season then you shouldn’t go to any bowl but the toilet bowl. But most most of this crap starts with the ridiculous amount of bowl tie ins. Tell me one good reason the SEC has a tie into the Bham bowl and Independence bowl.

BamaNation All-SEC

What is lost in all this is that they are surrendering the opportunity to have one of its teams make some money in a bowl game, get in an extra month of practice time, and get some national exposure for themselves and their conference. I am 100% behind the argument that there are too many bowl games and the system is watered down. No disagreement from me. But there is a system in place that some schools can get in a bowl game at 5-7 in order to fill open slots in available bowl games, and that is based on how the schools do academically. Why not let them play if there is an opening that they are qualified for? Overall, you are only hurting their chance to improve. But again, I am all for removing many of the bowls that are presently out there in order to remove the need for this entirely.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I’m okay with many bowls but I really think if you have a 5-7 season then you shouldn’t go to any bowl but the toilet bowl. But most most of this crap starts with the ridiculous amount of bowl tie ins. Tell me one good reason the SEC has a tie into the Bham bowl and Independence bowl.
    We may not need those bowl tie-ins right now, but in the past we have. Can't always look at these things from where you are right now and have to consider it from where you have been or might be in the future. Though I hated that Alabama was in a position the best they could do was the Independence Bowl, I did enjoy taking my son to his first two Alabama games in my hometown just after Christmas those years. Smaller bowls are still a nice incentive for teams who are struggling and give you one shot at a little redemption.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States

Get rid of some of the bowls. Just way too many.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Forget the reward aspect, or if you care about watching them. It doesn't hurt the sport in any way. Meanwhile, it helps the players on those teams. They get extra practice sessions that would not otherwise have been permitted.

IMO, the NCAA should allow every team to practice whether or not they are invited to a bowl. If that happened then schools would probably be less inclined to attend some of these bowl, and conferences would likely end some of the affiliations. The lower tier bowls generally cost the teams which participate more than the conferences are paid for that participation.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Forget the reward aspect, or if you care about watching them. It doesn't hurt the sport in any way. Meanwhile, it helps the players on those teams. They get extra practice sessions that would not otherwise have been permitted.

IMO, the NCAA should allow every team to practice whether or not they are invited to a bowl. If that happened then schools would probably be less inclined to attend some of these bowl, and conferences would likely end some of the affiliations. The lower tier bowls generally cost the teams which participate more than the conferences are paid for that participation.
    I agree. Teams could start the process, for example, of implementing a new offensive system without having to worry about how that will impact their performance in an upcoming game. I do think that many fans, myself included, like having those bowl games on just because it is college football. I know I take in all I can during bowl season just because I know it is about to go away for 9 months, and I have to gorge myself to get my fill. But I know all the negatives to it as well.

It doesn't mean much, but it is a start.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBama3 View Post
    Get rid of some of the bowls. Just way too many.

The artist formerly known as JBama_in_PCOLA

from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I agree Jay, 20 bowls max. As for the SEC tie in to the Bham Bowl and Independence Bowl, both venues are in SEC country and would more likely be a better draw for any SEC team rather than going to some bowl in Boise, Idaho or Flagstaff, NM.
    Last edited by GrayTide; June 7th, 2018 at 01:51 PM.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    MSU got in with a 5-7 record a few years ago... just saying
    Oh, I wasn't lauding the SEC or anything like that. What I was doing was poking fun at high-minded attitude of the Pac 12. They are "supporting the highest quality of competition" with this 6-6 record stuff. Hah. Want to really support high competition in bowl attendance? Make the Pac 12 requirement 8-4 or 9-3.
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.