Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklahoma - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BamaNation All-American Padreruf's Avatar

Re: Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklah

Quote Originally Posted by beatthemtigers View Post
    I think if you’re great at baseball and football, you should choose baseball every time. Unless you throughly enjoy playing football more. Money and health is a lot better in baseball. NFL contracts also lowballs the hell out of guys with the guaranteed and non guaranteed money.
    They also have old timers games in baseball...LOL.
    "The greatest evil in the world is not 'not knowing;' it is not knowing that you do not know." Alfred North Whitehead

2. Advertisement
    Suspended

Re: Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklah

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    Again he isnít at THE SHOW right away. He is in minor league so itís no loss to Billy Beane and the Aís. A first round pick in MLB is a lot different than a first round pick in the NFL
    If he gets hurt, it's a huge loss. It doesn't matter that he's in the minors, a healthy farm system is vital to the A's success, and as a small market team, they have to hit on every first round pick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

Ya'll know he wants to play baseball and football at same time? I don't think it's a stupid decision for A's to draft him. His football season probably ends in December/Jan.. and then he has decision to make. Everything is based on how he performs this fall. He struggles? He's gone. If he does well to get drafted in NFL... He's gone. My gut feeling is that he will probably play football and baseball. how he will manage that? Not sure.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    If he gets hurt, it's a huge loss. It doesn't matter that he's in the minors, a healthy farm system is vital to the A's success, and as a small market team, they have to hit on every first round pick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    If thatís the case... the Aís are far stupider than Kyler.

I see no problem with his course of action if he wants to do it.

BamaNation All-SEC

I wasn't aware this was allowed. I thought amateurism was still a requirement, regardless of sport. But if this is within the rules, then I have no issue with him making the most of the opportunity in front of him. Question though, let's say he has a great year at QB, and gets drafted into the NFL. If he signs to play in the NFL and not play baseball, wouldn't he have to pay all of that back to the A's? I know if I had the option of both, I would go the baseball route, as it is quite a bit less violent and dangerous. But I wish him all the best in whichever path he chooses.

By the way, seeing his name reminds me of this funny article when the two Kyle's were transferring away from aTm.

College Station, TX - Kyle Field, the home of the 12th Man and Aggie football since 1927, has announced that it will transfer from Texas A&M University effective immediately.

The announcement comes on the heels of news that both 5-star QBs Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray will also be leaving the program, leaving Aggies everywhere to wonder how things could possibly get worse. "Obviously the loss of two quarterbacks in one season is a blow, but it will be even more difficult to replace a facility that has taken years to build not to mention millions of dollars over the years," said head coach Kevin Sumlin in a press conference today. "You bring in stadiums because they have a certain set of facilities that fit your system, and you hope that they stick things out and see it through to the end."

There are few details thus far, and it is unclear if the stadium will be taking its foundation and parking lot or if those will remain with the program. Though no official statement has been made, it is likely that Texas A&M will block the stadium from transferring to any school in Texas, the SEC, or high seismic zones.

At this point it is assumed that backup McFerrin Athletic Center will step in for all football game hosting duties for the remainder of the season. It remains to be seen if Coach Sumlin and the athletic department will seek out a JUCO transfer stadium in the off season or hope for another blue chip athletic facility to land in their laps next season.

There's this weird thing where they can't sign promotional deals and things like that though. Basically, they are treating their being a professional athlete like any other job, but they can't sign endorsement deals and do things that might otherwise be playing on their status as a football player. I remember an Olympic skier from a while back running into issues not because he was a professional skier, but because he wanted to do endorsement deals.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    There's this weird thing where they can't sign promotional deals and things like that though. Basically, they are treating their being a professional athlete like any other job, but they can't sign endorsement deals and do things that might otherwise be playing on their status as a football player. I remember an Olympic skier from a while back running into issues not because he was a professional skier, but because he wanted to do endorsement deals.
    Jeremy Bloom. He went on to ski in two Olympics, win gold medals in numerous World Cup events and play as a wide receiver for four years for two different NFL teams, Steelers and Eagles, I think. He got his MBA while playing and founded a successful software startup. Last I heard, he had a reality show on CNBC...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

ďI would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.Ē Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Earle,

He went to Colorado didnít he?

As for the Aís, theyíll let him get the football out of him this year. Letís be serious, he couldnít keep the job at aTm much less play at OU and absolutely kill it enough to go pro. I just donít see it no matter how well he does IMHO.
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples! Denzel Devall

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    If that’s the case... the A’s are far stupider than Kyler.

I see no problem with his course of action if he wants to do it.
    My point, exactly. He's not stupid at all-he's playing the system.

BamaNation Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by JustNeedMe81 View Post
    Ya'll know he wants to play baseball and football at same time? I don't think it's a stupid decision for A's to draft him. His football season probably ends in December/Jan.. and then he has decision to make. Everything is based on how he performs this fall. He struggles? He's gone. If he does well to get drafted in NFL... He's gone. My gut feeling is that he will probably play football and baseball. how he will manage that? Not sure.
    He has to choose either football or baseball. For his health it will be good to choose baseball, but you are right that at the end of this fall all of you will understand his decision.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamc1 View Post
    "Coach" Riley is a joke and OU will find this out sooner rather than later. He choked his guts out in the CFP against UGA.
    I'm sure we've all choked our guts out in work situations. I hope that those occurrences for me didn't mean I was a joke.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    His father was a MLB pitcher so I seriously doubt they need the money.
    Uh...................no!

His dad is a QB coach, who never was a pitcher. You might be thinking of Kenny Hill's dad, who was a pitcher, for several teams, including the stRangers.

His dad may have played some minor league ball, but pretty sure it was not as a pitcher.

As for his NFL prospects...............

Uh..................no!

Remember where he played HS football, and won 3 straight State championships. Way too small for the NFL. Even if he took PEDs, it is not going to happen. (OK, maybe if he took some HGH along the way.) Small, run-first QBs, without a big (and accurate) arm, are not going to last in the NFL.

At least Jalen is big and strong. And we all know what his chances are.
    "You want in on some of this fishy scramble, old man?"
    "Eh, get that away from me..............."

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    SIAP - but a good opinion (IMO) on the hypocrisy of the NZAA:
    Kyler Murray playing for Oklahoma is equal parts possibility and hypocrisy from NCAA
    There are plenty of rules keeping college athletes from making money, but these loopholes remain ridiculous

by Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs Jun 20, 2018 ē 6 min read

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/kyler-murray-playing-for-oklahoma-is-equal-parts-possibility-and-hypocrisy-from-ncaa/

Murray will be the second or third highest paid person on the aTm team when he suits up this fall. But if a kid accepts a "free" ride to an A-Day game while he's being recruited, it's a "Violation" and an "Improper Benefit"... And Jeremy Bloom? That guy must be shaking his head in disbelief....
    Last edited by TomFromBama; June 25th, 2018 at 02:16 PM.