Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklahoma

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Again he isn’t at THE SHOW right away. He is in minor league so it’s no loss to Billy Beane and the A’s. A first round pick in MLB is a lot different than a first round pick in the NFL
If he gets hurt, it's a huge loss. It doesn't matter that he's in the minors, a healthy farm system is vital to the A's success, and as a small market team, they have to hit on every first round pick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Ya'll know he wants to play baseball and football at same time? I don't think it's a stupid decision for A's to draft him. His football season probably ends in December/Jan.. and then he has decision to make. Everything is based on how he performs this fall. He struggles? He's gone. If he does well to get drafted in NFL... He's gone. My gut feeling is that he will probably play football and baseball. how he will manage that? Not sure.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If he gets hurt, it's a huge loss. It doesn't matter that he's in the minors, a healthy farm system is vital to the A's success, and as a small market team, they have to hit on every first round pick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If that’s the case... the A’s are far stupider than Kyler.

I see no problem with his course of action if he wants to do it.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I wasn't aware this was allowed. I thought amateurism was still a requirement, regardless of sport. But if this is within the rules, then I have no issue with him making the most of the opportunity in front of him. Question though, let's say he has a great year at QB, and gets drafted into the NFL. If he signs to play in the NFL and not play baseball, wouldn't he have to pay all of that back to the A's? I know if I had the option of both, I would go the baseball route, as it is quite a bit less violent and dangerous. But I wish him all the best in whichever path he chooses.

By the way, seeing his name reminds me of this funny article when the two Kyle's were transferring away from aTm.

College Station, TX - Kyle Field, the home of the 12th Man and Aggie football since 1927, has announced that it will transfer from Texas A&M University effective immediately.

The announcement comes on the heels of news that both 5-star QBs Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray will also be leaving the program, leaving Aggies everywhere to wonder how things could possibly get worse. "Obviously the loss of two quarterbacks in one season is a blow, but it will be even more difficult to replace a facility that has taken years to build not to mention millions of dollars over the years," said head coach Kevin Sumlin in a press conference today. "You bring in stadiums because they have a certain set of facilities that fit your system, and you hope that they stick things out and see it through to the end."

There are few details thus far, and it is unclear if the stadium will be taking its foundation and parking lot or if those will remain with the program. Though no official statement has been made, it is likely that Texas A&M will block the stadium from transferring to any school in Texas, the SEC, or high seismic zones.

At this point it is assumed that backup McFerrin Athletic Center will step in for all football game hosting duties for the remainder of the season. It remains to be seen if Coach Sumlin and the athletic department will seek out a JUCO transfer stadium in the off season or hope for another blue chip athletic facility to land in their laps next season.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There's this weird thing where they can't sign promotional deals and things like that though. Basically, they are treating their being a professional athlete like any other job, but they can't sign endorsement deals and do things that might otherwise be playing on their status as a football player. I remember an Olympic skier from a while back running into issues not because he was a professional skier, but because he wanted to do endorsement deals.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There's this weird thing where they can't sign promotional deals and things like that though. Basically, they are treating their being a professional athlete like any other job, but they can't sign endorsement deals and do things that might otherwise be playing on their status as a football player. I remember an Olympic skier from a while back running into issues not because he was a professional skier, but because he wanted to do endorsement deals.
Jeremy Bloom. He went on to ski in two Olympics, win gold medals in numerous World Cup events and play as a wide receiver for four years for two different NFL teams, Steelers and Eagles, I think. He got his MBA while playing and founded a successful software startup. Last I heard, he had a reality show on CNBC...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Earle,

He went to Colorado didn’t he?

As for the A’s, they’ll let him get the football out of him this year. Let’s be serious, he couldn’t keep the job at aTm much less play at OU and absolutely kill it enough to go pro. I just don’t see it no matter how well he does IMHO.

Scraptor

Mar 13, 2018
Ya'll know he wants to play baseball and football at same time? I don't think it's a stupid decision for A's to draft him. His football season probably ends in December/Jan.. and then he has decision to make. Everything is based on how he performs this fall. He struggles? He's gone. If he does well to get drafted in NFL... He's gone. My gut feeling is that he will probably play football and baseball. how he will manage that? Not sure.
He has to choose either football or baseball. For his health it will be good to choose baseball, but you are right that at the end of this fall all of you will understand his decision.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
"Coach" Riley is a joke and OU will find this out sooner rather than later. He choked his guts out in the CFP against UGA.
I'm sure we've all choked our guts out in work situations. I hope that those occurrences for me didn't mean I was a joke.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
His father was a MLB pitcher so I seriously doubt they need the money.
Uh...................no!

His dad is a QB coach, who never was a pitcher. You might be thinking of Kenny Hill's dad, who was a pitcher, for several teams, including the stRangers.

His dad may have played some minor league ball, but pretty sure it was not as a pitcher.

As for his NFL prospects...............

Uh..................no!

Remember where he played HS football, and won 3 straight State championships. Way too small for the NFL. Even if he took PEDs, it is not going to happen. (OK, maybe if he took some HGH along the way.) Small, run-first QBs, without a big (and accurate) arm, are not going to last in the NFL.

At least Jalen is big and strong. And we all know what his chances are.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
SIAP - but a good opinion (IMO) on the hypocrisy of the NZAA:
Kyler Murray playing for Oklahoma is equal parts possibility and hypocrisy from NCAA
There are plenty of rules keeping college athletes from making money, but these loopholes remain ridiculous

by Dennis Dodd @dennisdoddcbs Jun 20, 2018 • 6 min read

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/kyler-murray-playing-for-oklahoma-is-equal-parts-possibility-and-hypocrisy-from-ncaa/

Murray will be the second or third highest paid person on the aTm team when he suits up this fall. But if a kid accepts a "free" ride to an A-Day game while he's being recruited, it's a "Violation" and an "Improper Benefit"... And Jeremy Bloom? That guy must be shaking his head in disbelief....

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.