Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklahoma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklahoma

Someone care to explain this ?
    murray-reaches-deal-oakland-athletics

Last edited by crimsonaudio; June 8th, 2018 at 09:20 AM. Reason: formatting

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame 230kv_barehand's Avatar

Re: Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklah

IIRC, Russell Wilson done this too.

You might want to peg that link, it's got cuss words in it.
    I need you out there slinging coconuts and pineapples! Denzel Devall

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar

Re: Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklah

It's not that complicated. NCAA rules allow student athletes to be professional athletes and still compete as long as they aren't on scholarship for any sport for which they are a paid professional.

So, basically, he can continue to play football for Oklahoma but cannot play baseball for them.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by 230kv_barehand View Post
    IIRC, Russell Wilson done this too.

You might want to peg that link, it's got cuss words in it.
    Sorry about that... maybe one of the more knowledgeable mods can for me... or delete the post if you must...

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    It's not that complicated. NCAA rules allow student athletes to be professional athletes and still compete as long as they aren't on scholarship for any sport for which they are a paid professional.

So, basically, he can continue to play football for Oklahoma but cannot play baseball for them.

Except if you play for Alabama...

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

I replaced the linked article with another that lacks profanity.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

Iím a baseball guy, so Iíve been following this one closely. I do wonder how hard is he going to work at football this year with the baseball money coming his way. How does Coach Riley manage a QB room when one of his guys is in this position. It will be interesting to follow.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Next step - Saban has a booster buy a minor league team and every Alabama football player gets a baseball contract.

If Kyler played at the barn, he would be in the top 10% player income.

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

I am surprised the Aís are OK with him not showing up this summer and playing rookie ball. If I am paying him this much I want his focus on baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post

Could he play baseball, not on scholarship?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    I am surprised the A’s are OK with him not showing up this summer and playing rookie ball. If I am paying him this much I want his focus on baseball.
    Baseball is so different than football. It will take Murray years to be ready to start for Oakland. So why risk having him walk away, making that draft pick a total waste, over one season of minor league ball? If you believe that Murray can be great, you let him play.

They did, however, limit him to only one year of football. Murray has 2 years of eligibility remaining. So Murray has to get it done this year.

Quote Originally Posted by UAllday View Post
    Could he play baseball, not on scholarship?
    If you are receiving a scholarship for any sport, you are considered to be on scholarship for all sports that you play. He played on the Sooners baseball team, but now he can't do that any more. But he can play any other sport.