Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklahoma

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
"Coach" Riley is a joke and OU will find this out sooner rather than later. He choked his guts out in the CFP against UGA.
His Sooners took the second best team in college football to OT in that game. I wouldn't call that "choking".

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
On draft night they (MLB network) said that he had already told everyone he would sign, then play his last year at OU, and immediately go on to pro baseball. He knows he is not going to play pro football. I personally think it's a pretty good deal, EXCEPT it sort of spits in the eye of the myth that these kids are going to school first and then happen to play a sport. Sort of like the one and done rule in hoops.

But we all knew that.

rtr

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
On draft night they (MLB network) said that he had already told everyone he would sign, then play his last year at OU, and immediately go on to pro baseball. He knows he is not going to play pro football. I personally think it's a pretty good deal, EXCEPT it sort of spits in the eye of the myth that these kids are going to school first and then happen to play a sport. Sort of like the one and done rule in hoops.

But we all knew that.

rtr
To be fair, Murray always knew that he was going to be a MLB player - or, at least, make a serious effort to do so. He could have been drafted right out of HS, though not quite as high.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Next step - Saban has a booster buy a minor league team and every Alabama football player gets a baseball contract. :biggrin2:
Excellence in positing, B1GTide. But instead of a booster, Saban would work through former (and then 23-year-old) Birmingham A's general manager and BOT emeritus Paul W. Bryant Jr. for pulling it off. Still might, if Paul (Not Cubby) Bryant's amenable to the idea...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If I am Kyler Murray's father I would forbid him from playing football again and risk getting hurt. Take the money and head to his minor league team. Much better odds of making it in MLB than in the NFL, plus a much longer shelf life.
You do realize Elway was signed to the Yankees before going to the Broncos.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I imagine Murray will have a sizeable insurance policy on him. Use some of that signing bonus to get it. Make it huge...as much as possible.

If he gets injured playing football he can cash in on the policy.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If I am Kyler Murray's father I would forbid him from playing football again and risk getting hurt. Take the money and head to his minor league team. Much better odds of making it in MLB than in the NFL, plus a much longer shelf life.
Kyler might not be made for the NFL, but if he has a senior season that makes someone take a bite then he should ditch the baseball and go NFL. While it says Oakland signed him, that doesn’t mean he is at THE SHOW. He still will have to progress through the minors to get there. If he falters then he could find himself at A league. That is barely enough to live on and traveling for that classification sucks. Making the NFL roster is guaranteed money with a guaranteed honored contract. Also MLB 1st term contracts have some really bad clauses in them which favors the organization tremendously. NFL contracts have more mobility.

I think if Kyler is getting feelers from the NFL and he isn’t dead set on baseball then he needs to try out football one last time.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Kyler might not be made for the NFL, but if he has a senior season that makes someone take a bite then he should ditch the baseball and go NFL. While it says Oakland signed him, that doesn’t mean he is at THE SHOW. He still will have to progress through the minors to get there. If he falters then he could find himself at A league. That is barely enough to live on and traveling for that classification sucks. Making the NFL roster is guaranteed money with a guaranteed honored contract. Also MLB 1st term contracts have some really bad clauses in them which favors the organization tremendously. NFL contracts have more mobility.

I think if Kyler is getting feelers from the NFL and he isn’t dead set on baseball then he needs to try out football one last time.
I think if you’re great at baseball and football, you should choose baseball every time. Unless you throughly enjoy playing football more. Money and health is a lot better in baseball. NFL contracts also lowballs the hell out of guys with the guaranteed and non guaranteed money.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The A's are idiots to let him play football.
They had no choice when they drafted him - let him play or lose him (and that draft pick). He told the entire league that he was playing football for the Sooners this year. That is why he was taken where he was instead of being taken #1 or #2 in the draft. So they didn't let him. He made this decision. They knew the deal when they drafted him.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
They had no choice when they drafted him - let him play or lose him (and that draft pick). He told the entire league that he was playing football for the Sooners this year. That is why he was taken where he was instead of being taken #1 or #2 in the draft. So they didn't let him. He made this decision. They knew the deal when they drafted him.
Still a stupid decision. If he gets hurt, that's a 1st round pick gone.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Still a stupid decision. If he gets hurt, that's a 1st round pick gone.
Again he isn’t at THE SHOW right away. He is in minor league so it’s no loss to Billy Beane and the A’s. A first round pick in MLB is a lot different than a first round pick in the NFL

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Again he isn’t at THE SHOW right away. He is in minor league so it’s no loss to Billy Beane and the A’s. A first round pick in MLB is a lot different than a first round pick in the NFL
But even if he bombs he would stay under contract longer in baseball than he would in football. You're about guaranteed 5 years in baseball and that's if you stink it up, they don't just let go of top picks like that in baseball like they do in football and basketball.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I think if you’re great at baseball and football, you should choose baseball every time. Unless you throughly enjoy playing football more. Money and health is a lot better in baseball. NFL contracts also lowballs the hell out of guys with the guaranteed and non guaranteed money.
They also have old timers games in baseball...LOL.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.