Kyler Murray Signs $5M Deal With Oakland A's That Allows Him To Play QB For Oklahoma

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
It's not that complicated. NCAA rules allow student athletes to be professional athletes and still compete as long as they aren't on scholarship for any sport for which they are a paid professional.

So, basically, he can continue to play football for Oklahoma but cannot play baseball for them.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
It's not that complicated. NCAA rules allow student athletes to be professional athletes and still compete as long as they aren't on scholarship for any sport for which they are a paid professional.

So, basically, he can continue to play football for Oklahoma but cannot play baseball for them.

Except if you play for Alabama...

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I’m a baseball guy, so I’ve been following this one closely. I do wonder how hard is he going to work at football this year with the baseball money coming his way. How does Coach Riley manage a QB room when one of his guys is in this position. It will be interesting to follow.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Next step - Saban has a booster buy a minor league team and every Alabama football player gets a baseball contract. :biggrin2:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I am surprised the A’s are OK with him not showing up this summer and playing rookie ball. If I am paying him this much I want his focus on baseball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018

Could he play baseball, not on scholarship?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am surprised the A’s are OK with him not showing up this summer and playing rookie ball. If I am paying him this much I want his focus on baseball.
Baseball is so different than football. It will take Murray years to be ready to start for Oakland. So why risk having him walk away, making that draft pick a total waste, over one season of minor league ball? If you believe that Murray can be great, you let him play.

They did, however, limit him to only one year of football. Murray has 2 years of eligibility remaining. So Murray has to get it done this year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you are receiving a scholarship for any sport, you are considered to be on scholarship for all sports that you play. He played on the Sooners baseball team, but now he can't do that any more. But he can play any other sport.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If I am Kyler Murray's father I would forbid him from playing football again and risk getting hurt. Take the money and head to his minor league team. Much better odds of making it in MLB than in the NFL, plus a much longer shelf life.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If I am Kyler Murray's father I would forbid him from playing football again and risk getting hurt. Take the money and head to his minor league team. Much better odds of making it in MLB than in the NFL, plus a much longer shelf life.
As the father of a 21 year old young man, my days of "forbidding" are long past. But would you really forbid your son something that mattered so much to him and was within his grasp?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

This used to be a conference rule only. IIRC we lost a highly touted QB back in the 70's because the SEC prohibited a recruit who had signed a MLB contract from playing any sport in the SEC. The ACC and the old SWC allowed this however.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
As the father of a 21 year old young man, my days of "forbidding" are long past. But would you really forbid your son something that mattered so much to him and was within his grasp?
Forbid was probably too harsh, but yes the risk of playing another season of football compared to possibly a 15-20 year career in the majors is not worth the risk I would be willing my son to take. This is exactly what happened to a friend of mine. Passed up a chance to play for the Braves and had a career ending injury his freshman year at Alabama.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Next step - Saban has a booster buy a minor league team and every Alabama football player gets a baseball contract. :biggrin2:
I believe the SEC has a conference rule against this, it was mentioned a lot in the recruitment of Winston. Something about being under contract or what not, although they can play after their baseball career is over.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I’m a baseball guy, so I’ve been following this one closely. I do wonder how hard is he going to work at football this year with the baseball money coming his way. How does Coach Riley manage a QB room when one of his guys is in this position. It will be interesting to follow.
"Coach" Riley is a joke and OU will find this out sooner rather than later. He choked his guts out in the CFP against UGA.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I believe the SEC has a conference rule against this, it was mentioned a lot in the recruitment of Winston. Something about being under contract or what not, although they can play after their baseball career is over.
Yes or at least they still had it when Winston was being recruited. It was the main reason he went to FSU so he could do both as he was drafted or they thought he was going to be out of h.s. but I don't think he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Small price to pay to get him to sign and just delay him getting to Rookie Ball instead of losing him totally.

No, he's done at OU baseball wise. It's like football and basketball, once you're drafted and you sign you're not playing that sport anymore.

Baseball is so different than football. It will take Murray years to be ready to start for Oakland. So why risk having him walk away, making that draft pick a total waste, over one season of minor league ball? If you believe that Murray can be great, you let him play.

They did, however, limit him to only one year of football. Murray has 2 years of eligibility remaining. So Murray has to get it done this year.
Yep they're betting he doesn't win the job this year.

His father was a MLB pitcher so I seriously doubt they need the money. Now that he's signed the A's have him no matter what anyways and it's not like he is going to actually play for the A's themselves in the next couple of years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.