Anthony Bourdain Death

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I will always believe that suicide is for the weak. If that makes me cold, makes me unfeeling, then so be it. That is my truth.

Never heard of the man before this, do not know what was going on with him, but I do not feel sorrow for him. My sympathies goes to his daughter and his family he choose to leave behind.

RIP Mr. Bourdain.

Again, apologies if I come off as cold and unfeeling but I really have no patience with suicides.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I will always believe that suicide is for the weak. If that makes me cold, makes me unfeeling, then so be it. That is my truth.

Never heard of the man before this, do not know what was going on with him, but I do not feel sorrow for him. My sympathies goes to his daughter and his family he choose to leave behind.

RIP Mr. Bourdain.

Again, apologies if I come off as cold and unfeeling but I really have no patience with suicides.
There's a major causal link between suicide and mental illness, and I don't consider the mentally ill any weaker than those suffering and dying from, say, liver cancer.

For instance, the Church recognizes this causal link, it's accepted that the mortal nature of the sin is mitigated by the lack of moral agency.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

RIP Mr. Bourdain.

I understand what you are saying.

The caveat though......is the condition known as depression, which removes all reason and logic away from the equation.

I would love to hear Stacey's thoughts on the subject of depression and how it results sometimes in suicide.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I understand what you are saying.

The caveat though......is the condition known as depression, which removes all reason and logic away from the equation.

I would love to hear Stacey's thoughts on the subject of depression and how it results sometimes in suicide.
CNN is devoting the afternoon, or some part of it, to the problem of suicide...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

RIP Mr. Bourdain.

I have no clue what you've been through to make you feel this way so I'll not judge. I will say it appears you don't have a solid understanding of mental illness or the thought processes that lead to suicide or you've thrown that understanding aside for whatever reason.

It's also natural to be angry at someone for taking their own life.

Amazingly, the suicidal often feel that they are doing others a good deed. That is hardly a rational thought but it seems that way to them.

I can't consider someone "weak" in the sense that you suggest when they succumb to a very real and devastating disease. I don't do it with dementia or cancer or infection or any other disease that takes lives. In particular, dementia changes a person's brain and ability to think rationally. Mental illness has a similar effect.

That whole notion of "weakness" also prevents people from getting help, which actually leads to more suicides. That stigma is not helpful in preventing this outcome.

I'd go so far as to say that the people who have battled mental illness over many years are some of the strongest people you will meet. The fact that someone lost that battle doesn't change that, it just means they lost the fight.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
CNN is devoting the afternoon, or some part of it, to the problem of suicide...
Looks like they are devoting most of the evening to him...
Good to hear!

Their ratings shouldn't suffer unless the writing is bad. But I don't think it will be.

So far the coverage by CNN of Bourdain's death has been quite good.

Watching baseball right now....will tune in after we finish off the barn....:D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Good to hear!

Their ratings shouldn't suffer unless the writing is bad. But I don't think it will be.

So far the coverage by CNN of Bourdain's death has been quite good.

Watching baseball right now....will tune in after we finish off the barn....:D
They just aired an interview with him now. They're doing a good job with it...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This is from Mike Rowe's facebook page... - I thought it was a nice memorial...

“Hello Darkness, My Old Friend”

On a hot night in 2005, after a long day of spelunking through the septic tanks of Wisconsin, I retired to my suite at the Motel 6, to wallow in the perks of my chosen profession.

First, there was the tepid shower, followed by another. Then, there was the tepid beer, followed by another. Then, I logged into the Dirty Jobs Mudroom, where I planned to chat with fans of my show while watching myself on television, (a narcissistic but mostly harmless habit that eventually got out of control and turned into this Facebook page.) But that’s another story.

On this particular evening, stretched out on a suspicious comforter held together with the DNA of previous guests, I stumbled across a smart-aleck on The Travel Channel eating fermented shark meat in Iceland, and telling his producer he’d be dead by morning. I had to laugh. Just a few hours earlier, I had been eating a fermented hoagie in an open sewer, and lodging a similar prediction with my own producer.

Naturally, I was intrigued by what appeared to be a kindred spirit, Forrest-Gumping his way around the world, pushing the bounds of non-fiction television. The show was called “No Reservations,” and no – I didn’t think it was better than Dirty Jobs. But I did think it was every bit as good, and the more I watched, the more I grew to appreciate this subversive chef’s naked contempt for all the fakery of traditional production. I loved the way he went out of his way be seen as a “traveler,” not a tourist. It reminded me of my own attempts to be seen as a “guest,” and not a host.

From that moment, I was a fan. I read his books, and enjoyed them all. But what I enjoyed even more was the way Tony pushed The Travel Channel into some very uncomfortable territory. It’s not that I think bad language and drinking on camera are cool or edgy; I don’t. But I loved the fact that Tony pushed the network to let the show evolve around his point of view, and his personality. In those days, that almost never happened. It’s still very rare, mostly because the shows are the property of the network, and the network almost always has an opinion about how their hosts should and shouldn’t behave. But Bourdain was his own man – a man on a mission to produce a show that was authentic to him. I admired that. I also admired the way he pushed back when his name and likeness were used to sell Cadillacs without his permission. https://bit.ly/2Jt0EWB He had integrity, and was unafraid to walk away from a steady gig when he believed he was in the right.

I think my favorite thing he ever did was an episode for Parts Unknown. Tony goes scuba diving for octopi in Sicily, with the help of a local producer. But when there are no octopi to be found on the sea floor, the producer starts dropping them off the side of the boat.

Imagine the scene. Bourdain is twenty feet down with his cameraman, when store-bought, frozen octopi begin to float slowly by. It’s absurd, but precisely what a typical producer in my industry would do to do “salvage” a scene. Bourdain however, is appalled, and does the only sensible thing he can - he drinks through the rest of the episode, heavily. Later, in voiceover, he reveals the botched attempt to fool the viewer by airing the raw footage. It's the most honest thing I’ve ever seen, in a genre that stages 95% of what it presents as real.

Full disclosure - I don’t know Tony well enough to eulogize him. We met a few times, here and there, shared a few drinks, and complemented each other on our respective careers. We disagreed on plenty, but we approached non-fiction television the same way. We both looked askance at rehearsals, scripts, executive oversight, and most of all, second takes. And we both tried to use our platforms to do more than entertain.

A few years ago, at an event in New York, we traded war stories over some better than average bourbon. I asked Tony about the warthog anus he ate in Namibia, and whether or not the subsequent antibiotics did the trick.

“Hard to know,” he said. “By then, I’d developed a kind of natural immunity. What about you? Still keeping the Hep-A at bay?”

“So far so good,” I said. “My problems these days are mostly with PETA.”

Tony laughed. “Don’t get me started. They’ve got a file on me the size of a phone book.”

We talked about the importance of showing people where their food comes from. He told me about the petition against CNN that arose when he removed the beating heart from a snake. I told him about the boycott against Discovery when I shot a cow and butchered it on camera. We talked about the difficulty of producing a truly authentic show with sponsors and advertisers and millions of viewers with competing agendas, and how grateful he was for the chance to deliver the show he wanted to deliver. I told him about the night I saw him choking down the fermented shark in Iceland, back in 2005, and asked him if he ever imagined a scene like that would lead to a Peabody Award. He told me that awards were nice, but never part of the plan.

“I was mostly trying to amuse myself,” he said. “I just wanted to do a show that I could be proud of.”

Yesterday, when I heard he’d hung himself, I thought about the first time I saw "No Reservations," while I was stretched out on that suspicious comforter in a Motel 6 outside Madison. I just found the clip on You Tube, and watched it again - this time from the comfort of a leather sofa, where the only DNA present was my own. I couldn’t help but notice the title of the episode - “Hello Darkness, My Old Friend.”

Old friends, it seems, have a way of reuniting.
Tragically, in this case.

My sympathies to his loved ones, and to his millions of fans trying to make sense of the inexplicable. His was a truly unique voice, and I'll be among those who miss it.

Mike

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Mike Rowe is one of my favorites and I enjoyed that earlier today.

When my wife first starting watching Bourdain a number of years ago I couldn't stand his arrogance, though the show was still interesting.

Sometime after he changed to CNN I began to warm up to him a little and the more time went on the more I liked him as he seemed to increasingly accept people for who they are and show empathy for their situation and position.

I really liked how he revealed a more authentic side of his subjects and himself. Even with those he strongly disagreed he accepted and confirmed the authenticity of their stories.

He embraced middle America, the poorest of the poor in exotic locales, and everything in between. In this latter time he seemed more interested in changing himself and those like him than changing the subjects of his show.
He seemed much more humble and curious. I took a real liking to him, though it took me a while to admit this to Mrs. NT17.

I feel like the old man who never wants to like anyone for fear they will too soon be gone. Death is a part of life but it's always sad to see good people go too soon. Too many good ones have left us too soon lately.

I'm reminded of friends who went too soon. A few died in car accidents or from illness. A few died from a broken heart and mind like Mr Bourdain, one just a short time after I had visited his home. I'll always wonder what I might have done differently. I'm sure those who knew him are asking the same questions now.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
CNN aired the last episode tonight, on the dark underbelly of Berlin. There was a lot of depravity and talk of drugs. At one point, he seemed to say "I want to party and get high." I really hope the suspicions I've had don't turn out to be true...

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Haven't been on here since this was announced. I found this particularly devastating as Bourdain was a massive, if not primary, influence on my work. I devoured No Reservations and Parts Unknown.

I always felt it was pretty apparent that Bourdain was walking a bit of a tightrope. He never shied away from talking about days or bottomed out depression set-off by some innocuous event, like a bad burger in an airport terminal. As apparent as he always seemed to make his struggle, I had hoped that meant that he, and others, were doing what they could to look after his mental health and ensure he had the help he needed. I'm not sure if that was the case or not. It's a very upsetting event and he will be dearly missed.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That last episode in Berlin is haunting. My wife kept saying that he'd never aired anything like that before. I'd have to agree. It was extremely dark...

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
That last episode in Berlin is haunting. My wife kept saying that he'd never aired anything like that before. I'd have to agree. It was extremely dark...
I did read that he was often quoted as saying that, when he reached 30 yrs old, he was surprised that he was still alive. Live hard, play hard. It takes its' toll.

He had struggled with both alcohol and heroin addictions in his past.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I did read that he was often quoted as saying that, when he reached 30 yrs old, he was surprised that he was still alive. Live hard, play hard. It takes its' toll.

He had struggled with both alcohol and heroin addictions in his past.
While I don't doubt for a moment that he was addicted to alcohol, I don't know that you can say that he struggled with it. More gloried in it, I'd say, up until he died. In one recent interview, he spoke of the helpfulness of alcohol in breaking the ice in interview situations. He continued that it was important for his crew (6) also to drink with locals...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.