Anthony Bourdain Death

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
While I don't doubt for a moment that he was addicted to alcohol, I don't know that you can say that he struggled with it. More gloried in it, I'd say, up until he died. In one recent interview, he spoke of the helpfulness of alcohol in breaking the ice in interview situations. He continued that it was important for his crew (6) also to drink with locals...
That People article you posted illustrated one of the techniques his team employed to create a natural and causal environment for his subjects and he to engage in. If he just rolls up with 3 cameras, lights, a couple of producers and starts firing questions, the results are going to be shy and evasive people offering shallow and uninteresting responses.

A part of the reason people respond(ed) :)() well to Bourdain was because of his personality and nature. But the other part of it was tried and true experience of walking in cold to a situation. Doing everything in your power to set the tone and put people at ease is, I'm sure, one of the many tactics he and his crew took to capture those sort of special moments.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That People article you posted illustrated one of the techniques his team employed to create a natural and causal environment for his subjects and he to engage in. If he just rolls up with 3 cameras, lights, a couple of producers and starts firing questions, the results are going to be shy and evasive people offering shallow and uninteresting responses.

A part of the reason people respond(ed) :)() well to Bourdain was because of his personality and nature. But the other part of it was tried and true experience of walking in cold to a situation. Doing everything in your power to set the tone and put people at ease is, I'm sure, one of the many tactics he and his crew took to capture those sort of special moments.
I wasn't questioning his tactics at all. OTOH, it might not have been the best lifestyle for someone who'd had the past problems he'd had and who had an admitted addictive personality...

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
She was from just right up the road from me in Albertville.After i saw it on the local news they turned right around and ran a Troy King ad bashing Steve,classy!
If anyone ran on policies/issues the ad wouldn't have mattered too much. I wish we had people who could give us something to vote for them instead of trying to scare us all the time. But then, we just vote them in.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
She was from just right up the road from me in Albertville.After i saw it on the local news they turned right around and ran a Troy King ad bashing Steve,classy!
Those ads are programmed in by computer. There's not a human making a decision to run one at a certain spot...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm reading his second cooking book right now. After his divorce from his first wife, living in the Caribbean, he got drunk every night and says that he contemplated suicide every night, plunging his rental car off a cliff. I'm now convinced that his suicide should not have come as a surprise to anyone...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.