SEC speculation for this season - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: SEC speculation for this season

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I’m going to say USCe wins the east and UGA has a tough year. I think USCe and Missouri are your #1 and #2 in the east. Something about losing the way they did, having a lot new pieces to replace a loaded team, having a tough third game has me very concerned about UGA. Missouri and USCe return the best QBs in east with the most experience.
    i think uga has a hangover year this year.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

Iím going to say USCe wins the east and UGA has a tough year. I think USCe and Missouri are your #1 and #2 in the east. Something about losing the way they did, having a lot new pieces to replace a loaded team, having a tough third game has me very concerned about UGA. Missouri and USCe return the best QBs in east with the most experience.
    If this were to happen, I think the state of Georgia would blow up, considering the expectations over here. Right or wrong, it would be instant hot seat for Kirby Smart, I don`t care how long they tolerated Mark Richt in the past.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    i hope uga has a hangover year this year.
    FIFY

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Yeah 2013 really comes to mind.

I really donít see much difference between Kirby Smart and Mark Richt with the exception that Smart can smooth things over with the puppies faster. I think 3rd and Kirby is going to haunt UGA fans like it did with us from 2012-2015.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    This is the most interesting season in a while, IMO, with Florida and Tennessee on the comeback trail and with Mississippi State set to see if they can continue to over-achieve as they did with Mullen. Let us not forget the A&M Aggies newfound optimism and, of course, the annual can The Ogre keep his job another year.

I am not certain S Carolina will finish second in the East, as many predict. I am thinking Mississippi State is headed back to the bottom with Arkansas and Texas A&M is a work in progress. I would like opinions on Miss St and A&M in particular, but would enjoy reading your take on all the others. Roll Tide.
    Before reading other responses, I'll give my "gut" feeling on Miss. St. and TAMU.

I think Miss. St. won't fall to the bottom immediately, but I don't think they achieve the success they had with Mullen.

I think TAMU will replace LSU as our toughest SECW game outside of our annual showdown with Auburn. More importantly, I believe TAMU will give the barn more losses and that'll be a good thing for us in the SECW race.

BamaNation First Team BamaBoySince89's Avatar

My guess is Tennessee will continue to struggle this year.
    Agreed but I don't think they lay down like they did under Botch.

USCe is intriguing but like last year, they are a injury away from being a 8-9 win team playing in a decent bowl.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

West:

1. Bama
    2. Auburn
    3. ATM
    4 LSU
    5. Miss St
    6. Arkansas
    7. Ole Miss

Bama and Auburn have easy schedule. Both could go undefeated until Iron Bowl. Ranking #3-#7 will be a mess. I think ATM and LSU will truly fight for #3 spot, maybe could beat Auburn on a good day.

East:

1. UGA
    2. Florida
    3. South Carolina
    4. Vandy
    5. Kentucky
    6. Tennessee
    7. Mizzou

East is unpredictable. I actually don't think UGA will finish #1 in East. I'm going to be bold and say SC will be ranked either #1 or #2 . Florida will always be in contend for a title, but it depends on Tennessee and how much they improve in first season under Pruitt. Don't count out Mizzou. I'm not ranking them in top 5 yet, but with their QB... who knows?

Final Prediction: Bama v.s. South Carolina for SEC Championship.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation First Team UntouchableCrew's Avatar

In the west I think Alabama cruises pretty comfortably. I think It'll take a year or two for Jimbo to get A&M where he wants them and as long as Coach O is in Baton Rogue LSU is no threat. Ole Miss and Arkansas will be awful. Auburn is the biggest hurdle but at home Alabama will take care of business.

1. Alabama
    2. Auburn.
    3. A&M
    4. LSU
    5. Miss State
    6. Ole Miss
    7. Arkansas

I think Georgia will plow through the east. I think those predicting a hangover are underestimating Smart and the talent/trajectory in Athens and overrating the rest of the east. I think UGA is closer to Alabama than they are to the second best team in the east. Don't really believe the hype for Muschamp at USCe either.

1. UGA
    2. UF
    3. USC
    4. Mizzou
    5. UT
    6. Kentucky
    7. Vandy

BamaNation All-SEC

When I rank college teams, normally I would rank them by who has the best quarterback, most other things being equal. This is why I think that teams like Missouri and State are going to do better than some folks here seem to. Alabama and Georgia are clearly the leaders because in almost every case the guys they line up are better than the guys on the other team, so quarterback play isn't as critical even though I think that both Fromm and Tua are quality qb's.

I think that State, Missouri, Auburn, USCe, and maybe Ole Miss have known quantities and qualities at qb. The rest of those guys are unknowns and their seasons rest upon those shoulders.

rtr

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

My prediction:

West

Bama
    Barn
    Tamu
    State
    LSU
    Ole Miss
    Ark

East

Georgia
    Florida
    S Carolina
    Kentucky
    TN
    Mizzou
    Vandy

The west will once again be decided in the iron bowl and I think Florida will surprise some folks this year by instantly challenging Georgia in the east, mainly because of Dan Mullen. The barn will walk into BDS with either 10 or 11 wins and give Saban his first career victory over a very good barn team.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I could see it. Kirby knows the pieces of the process but can he replicate CNS's ability to deal with coming up one victory short like we did in '08 and motivating his team to follow up an almost perfect season with something better?

Then, on top of that, he has a fat roster of 4 and 5 star guys who have to be managed and kept happy....his other big challenge.

I think Fisher is going to have some growing pains in year one at TAMU. He is going to have to weed out those HUNH style players on that offense and get his style of pro-set players in. TAMU's offense was finesse before he got there and Fisher likes a more physical approach. Its going to take some time. I could see the Aggies winning 4-5 games in year one and thats about it.

And don't sleep on LSU with this Ohio State QB transfer they have coming in. They always seem to be a solid QB away of winning 10 games.

BamaNation All-American ALA2262's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    This is the most interesting season in a while, IMO, with Florida and Tennessee on the comeback trail and with Mississippi State set to see if they can continue to over-achieve as they did with Mullen. Let us not forget the A&M Aggies newfound optimism and, of course, the annual can The Ogre keep his job another year.

I am not certain S Carolina will finish second in the East, as many predict. I am thinking Mississippi State is headed back to the bottom with Arkansas and Texas A&M is a work in progress. I would like opinions on Miss St and A&M in particular, but would enjoy reading your take on all the others. Roll Tide.

Watch out for Mississippi State

Former Penn State offensive coordinator Joe Moorhead took over for Dan Mullen, and he inherits a far greater level of expectation than Mullen did when he arrived in 2009. Not only has MSU achieved at an unprecedented level (eight straight bowls, plus at least nine wins in three of the last four years), but the Bulldogs also return so much:
    • 100 percent of passing yards (and now with two tested QBs)
    • 100 percent of RB rushing yards
    • 71 percent of receiving corps yards
    • 80 percent of offensive line starts
    • 82 percent of overall tackles
    • 92 percent of TFLs

In terms of combined experience and talent, this could be one of MSU’s most impressive teams. Moorhead won’t get much of a breaking-in period in Starkville, will he?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ers-experience