SEC speculation for this season

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Pruitt will not get the grace that Butch and Dickey did. For the simple fact that he is from Bama...played for Bama....coached at Bama, and has been seen in Red tells me what it may be like for him. When Dave Hart was hired as AD in Knoxville? I heard lunchroom scoffing that accused Saban of orchestrating future failure for UT. When Jones was hired? Same. Just saying. Pruitt knows the temp of the water in vol country. Anything that goes right is a plus for Fulmer. Anything that goes wrong will start the clock.
He’s doing his best to ingratiate himself with them...... trying hard to flip Taulia, and some UGA commits.

As for Mizzou, I think the defense will rise to the occasion and hit him repeatedly

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Plus, I distinctly remember Dub saying something about last year`s team being the greatest, talent wise, in barn history. I`m sure Dub will be along to enlighten me soon!
Here's the context of that line.

Just curious Dub. Do you agree that this is indeed the most talented team in Auburn history? Or, perhaps the most talented team in your lifetime?
On paper you could make a case for it. I'll let you know after the LSU game.
There was a lot of talent on the roster. A lot. I stand by the statement that, on paper (basing it off of recruiting rankings and the like), you could make a solid argument for that being AU's most talented team. D was salty as hell all year. Offense didn't gel particularly well until later in the season, but when it started rolling, there was a period where we could beat any team in the country. Wheels unfortunately fell off though. Depth was an issue at RB (Surprising, considering we thought we had both KJ and KP entering the season.) and along the line (Not surprising. It was a known problem area entering the season.), and it bit us.

All in all, last year presented a huge missed opportunity. Stung badly. Still furious about the loss to LSU. That was coaching malpractice, and hopefully Gus learned from that mistake.

Now for the rest of your post.

Wasn`t their O line pretty much gutted?
There’s talent there but it needs to gel in a hurry. Starters LG Braden Smith and C Casey Dunn both moved on. LT Prince Tega Wanogho, LG Marquell Harrell and RG Mike Horton are set. Ongoing competition at C (Nick Brahms or Kaleb Kim) and RT (Austin Troxell, Calvin Ashley or GT Jack Driscoll).

I know they`ve lost their primary RB`s from last year.
Losing KJ hurt big time, and we’re very interested in the RB race. His pass blocking is part of the reason we couldn’t afford to yank him last year. Not that he was great at it, but he could effectively pick up a blitz. The guys behind him were pretty sub par. Among the guys that could take over for KJ are:

Kam Martin - Right now, the starter by default. A small speedster and not an every down back.

Boobee Whitlow - Hurt in the preseason last year. Probably the most well rounded of the bunch. Needs to polish his pass blocking, and needs to learn to avoid cutting back to try and outrun the defense, but has the measurables and talent to continue our 1000 yard streak on the Plains if he becomes an effective North/South runner.

Malik Miller - A Pettway type bruiser.

Asa Martin - Talented incoming freshman. Similar running style to Kerryon. Don't know if he'll be ready to be the full time starter, but I expect him to get touches.

Better keep Stidham upright. If he goes down, they`re toast.
Truth. We'll be a lot more reliant on the passing game this year while we figure things out on the line and at RB. So we can only hope he stays healthy.

Behind him are Sophomore Malik Willis, a speedy scrambler with a cannon, and Joey Gatewood, a talented project. Wouldn’t want either shouldering the load yet. Neither of those two should be able to beat the Bamas and Georgias of the world without some more seasoning.

Maybe the D`s supposed to be salty (?).
It is.

Front seven - Loaded, and should be every bit as scary as it was last year. Linebacking corps is talented and experienced. Line is talented, deep and I would be absolutely terrified to have to scheme against them.

Defensive backfield - Less so, but the stacked front seven will help tremendously. Safeties will likely be Jeremiah Dinson and Daniel Thomas. Noah Igbinoghene, who moved to the other side of the ball in the spring, looked great in practice and might very well start at boundary corner. Jamel Dean should be the field corner and Javaris Davis should be the nickel/third corner.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Traditionally when Auburn is a pre-season darling they under achieve as they get side tracked. When they are flying under the radar is when they do most of their damage. The seem to be allergic to the limelight.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
When I rank college teams, normally I would rank them by who has the best quarterback, most other things being equal.

I think that State, Missouri, Auburn, USCe, and maybe Ole Miss have known quantities and qualities at qb.

rtr
Auburn's qb was much better than ours last year. Saban's opinion about this UA qb "competition" is the only one that matters and he says it isn't over. I sure hope Tua is still around and trotting out there with the first team when when we play Auburn.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

There was a lot of talent on the roster. A lot. I stand by the statement that, on paper (basing it off of recruiting rankings and the like), you could make a solid argument for that being AU's most talented team. D was salty as hell all year. Offense didn't gel particularly well until later in the season, but when it started rolling, there was a period where we could beat any team in the country. Wheels unfortunately fell off though. Depth was an issue at RB (Surprising, considering we thought we had both KJ and KP entering the season.) and along the line (Not surprising. It was a known problem area entering the season.), and it bit us.

All in all, last year presented a huge missed opportunity. Stung badly. Still furious about the loss to LSU. That was coaching malpractice, and hopefully Gus learned from that mistake.

There’s talent there but it needs to gel in a hurry. Starters LG Braden Smith and C Casey Dunn both moved on. LT Prince Tega Wanogho, LG Marquell Harrell and RG Mike Horton are set. Ongoing competition at C (Nick Brahms or Kaleb Kim) and RT (Austin Troxell, Calvin Ashley or GT Jack Driscoll).

Losing KJ hurt big time, and we’re very interested in the RB race. His pass blocking is part of the reason we couldn’t afford to yank him last year. Not that he was great at it, but he could effectively pick up a blitz. The guys behind him were pretty sub par. Among the guys that could take over for KJ are:

Kam Martin - Right now, the starter by default. A small speedster and not an every down back.

Boobee Whitlow - Hurt in the preseason last year. Probably the most well rounded of the bunch. Needs to polish his pass blocking, and needs to learn to avoid cutting back to try and outrun the defense, but has the measurables and talent to continue our 1000 yard streak on the Plains if he becomes an effective North/South runner.

Asa Martin - Talented incoming freshman. Similar running style to Kerryon. Don't know if he'll be ready to be the full time starter, but I expect him to get touches.

Truth. We'll be a lot more reliant on the passing game this year while we figure things out on the line and at RB. So we can only hope he stays healthy.

Behind him are Sophomore Malik Willis, a speedy scrambler with a cannon, and Joey Gatewood, a talented project. Wouldn’t want either shouldering the load yet. Neither of those two should be able to beat the Bamas and Georgias of the world without some more seasoning.

It is.

Front seven - Loaded, and should be every bit as scary as it was last year. Linebacking corps is talented and experienced. Line is talented, deep and I would be absolutely terrified to have to scheme against them.

Defensive backfield - Less so, but the stacked front seven will help tremendously. Safeties will likely be Jeremiah Dinson and Daniel Thomas. Noah Igbinoghene, who moved to the other side of the ball in the spring, looked great in practice and might very well start at boundary corner. Jamel Dean should be the field corner and Javaris Davis should be the nickel/third corner.
Thanks Dub. You think your D will have to score points to win, particularly early?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It is.

I honestly think the wildcard for you guys is your head coach.

I think he's a good OC. I'm even one of the few Tide fans who kind of chuckles at his youthful enthusiasm in some instances.

But he seems - to me at least - to be the kind of guy who really can't hold it all together. I think you guys have a very talented team returning (the IB result last year did not exactly surprise me). I think in a NORMAL world that it's us and y'all in the West. But for whatever reason, Gus only seems to be able to just barely achieve above what's minimally acceptable when there's some sort of personal incentive (uh, like that big contract he got right after winning the West last year -he's 0-2 since then).

Gus has puzzled me from day one. I've watched a lot of Auburn games since he's been there (post-2013 anyway), and it seems like Auburn doesn't show up for games they should and then stuns the world in games they shouldn't. A couple that quickly come to mind are 2014 MSU, 2015 Ole Miss, 2016 UGA and Vandy....and whatever happened with LSU last year, a middle of the game reversion. I was at the Alabama-Arky game that night and as we were heading to the stadium we were listening on the radio and Auburn had that game well in hand. And then we get to BDS and watch the scoreboard and we're like, "What?"

(Note: I would add the UCF and Wisky bowl games as well to the list of "wth are you doing Gus" moments).

And probably (you would know better than I)....he only has the job because of a late snap in the LSU game a few years back at a time both coaches were on the hot seat and Miles got canned.

I went back and watched that LSU game from last year when I got home (You Tube) and Auburn was crisp and a good team - and then they weren't. It's like a schizophrenia that makes no sense.

So I think Auburn is immensely talented, but I also think that if you lose to Washington that you're already up against it with a lot of "He's 0-3 since the new extension" headlines. And I fully expect Gus to lose a game he should win (Maybe LSU or ATM - though on the road at MSU would be less surprising even though you're better than they are) that makes no sense whatsoever, a game where his talent exceeds the opposition and yet he loses. I say this not to be malicious but just because it's what he's done time and time and time again. It seems as I watch that for every really GOOD thing he does, he offsets it with what I call "reverse accomplishment."

The TALENT is there - but I'm not sold on the coaching be there. He's better than Orgeron on that score, but it didn't help last year.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
What are Auburn's WRs like this year?
I just looked that up out of curiosity. Looks like they return 5 of their top 6 WR's from last year. They are deep and experienced.

These dudes are ALL back...

Ryan Davis - 84 Rec's for 815 yards and 5 TD's
Darius Slayton - 29 Rec's for 643 yards and 5 TD's
Will Hastings - 26 Rec's for 525 yards and 4 TD's
Nate Craig-Myers - 16 Rec's for 285 yards and 3 TD's
Eli Stove - 29 Rec's for 265 yards and 0 TD's

Stidham is going to have plenty to work with it seems. AU might have a pretty deadly passing game themselves this year.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
What are Auburn's WRs like this year?
Should be good. Deep and experienced. Slayton and Marquis McClain, big receivers at split end. Ryan Davis, speedster slot guy that set a record for receptions last year is back, as is Hastings in the position. Eli Stove at Flanker. Darius Slayton and Sal Cannella at the other end. NCM can play anywhere.

Then add incoming freshmen Shedrick Jackson, Matthew Hill, Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz, who is absolutely blazing fast.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I honestly think the wildcard for you guys is your head coach.

I think he's a good OC. I'm even one of the few Tide fans who kind of chuckles at his youthful enthusiasm in some instances.

But he seems - to me at least - to be the kind of guy who really can't hold it all together. I think you guys have a very talented team returning (the IB result last year did not exactly surprise me). I think in a NORMAL world that it's us and y'all in the West. But for whatever reason, Gus only seems to be able to just barely achieve above what's minimally acceptable when there's some sort of personal incentive (uh, like that big contract he got right after winning the West last year -he's 0-2 since then).

Gus has puzzled me from day one. I've watched a lot of Auburn games since he's been there (post-2013 anyway), and it seems like Auburn doesn't show up for games they should and then stuns the world in games they shouldn't. A couple that quickly come to mind are 2014 MSU, 2015 Ole Miss, 2016 UGA and Vandy....and whatever happened with LSU last year, a middle of the game reversion. I was at the Alabama-Arky game that night and as we were heading to the stadium we were listening on the radio and Auburn had that game well in hand. And then we get to BDS and watch the scoreboard and we're like, "What?"

(Note: I would add the UCF and Wisky bowl games as well to the list of "wth are you doing Gus" moments).

And probably (you would know better than I)....he only has the job because of a late snap in the LSU game a few years back at a time both coaches were on the hot seat and Miles got canned.

I went back and watched that LSU game from last year when I got home (You Tube) and Auburn was crisp and a good team - and then they weren't. It's like a schizophrenia that makes no sense.

So I think Auburn is immensely talented, but I also think that if you lose to Washington that you're already up against it with a lot of "He's 0-3 since the new extension" headlines. And I fully expect Gus to lose a game he should win (Maybe LSU or ATM - though on the road at MSU would be less surprising even though you're better than they are) that makes no sense whatsoever, a game where his talent exceeds the opposition and yet he loses. I say this not to be malicious but just because it's what he's done time and time and time again. It seems as I watch that for every really GOOD thing he does, he offsets it with what I call "reverse accomplishment."

The TALENT is there - but I'm not sold on the coaching be there. He's better than Orgeron on that score, but it didn't help last year.
That's fair.

The UW game is going to be a good measure of what kind of season to expect. If we come out firing, I think we'll challenge in the west. If we start slow like we did last year, and there's no excuse for that, I think 9 wins is our ceiling.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
That's fair.

The UW game is going to be a good measure of what kind of season to expect. If we come out firing, I think we'll challenge in the west. If we start slow like we did last year, and there's no excuse for that, I think 9 wins is our ceiling.
Dub, if that were to occur, would those 9 wins have to include either or both us and UGA ?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
That's fair.

While I agree with this Dub, I just don't see Washington beating auburn.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wouldn't be so sure. Auburn usually doesn't start seasons looking that great, the WR and RB groups are a big question mark, and Washington is a veteran, well-coached team. I think UDub wins right now at least.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It’s a game we should win on talent alone, and by double digits, but slow starts are Gus’s forte and Peterson schemes as well as anyone. I don’t expect our defense to give them an inch, but we have questions on offense.
Unless your O line is an absolute disaster....walk in the park. Gus drops that one, I would suppose it would be LSU last year X 2 for the barn faithful.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Unless your O line is an absolute disaster....walk in the park. Gus drops that one, I would suppose it would be LSU last year X 2 for the barn faithful.
I don’t think it will be, but it is a green unit overall. I expect us to win the game, but I don’t take UW lightly. They have a talented, experienced offense with a quality QB.

In my opinion, I think there are 3 possibilities:

This could be a great opportunity. Dominate and win by 14+. Get the offense in gear earlier than we have the last 3 years and have an established offensive identity by the LSU game on week 3 (60% chance of occurring).

Or it could be like the Louisville game in 15, where we win but look rudderless on offense in the process (20% chance of occurring).

Or the Clemson game in 16 where it’s an abject disaster and we wind up losing a close one in spite of great defensive play (20% chance of occurring).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
What I find funny is that in my lifetime I still can’t help but see Gene Chizik as the 5th best Auburn coach but he is the one that won the championship.

I think Gus is probably 4th best coach because he always seems to win when it’s most beneficial for his job security but is very mediocre everywhere else. Just a better 2nd Part Les Miles IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.