SEC speculation for this season

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Yeah that's basically what I'm saying.

And rgw got it right, too. It's like they start the Indy 500 with a high school driver's ed student driver going out the first time, switch to Mario Andretti for late September to early November, and the car performance for the UGA and Alabama depends in large part on whether the car sustained a lot of damage and the placement of the pit stall (e.g. where the game is played).
Seems we're all on the same page. Good discussion. That's why I post here.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Seems we're all on the same page. Good discussion. That's why I post here.
Gray and I get in more hot water with a lot of folks here actually having the gall - when we assess it as such - to say, "Auburn has a decent/good/whatever team" in opposition to the quite often, "They're gonna go 5-7 this year!"

But yeah, this should be an "interesting" year for you guys. I EXPECT us to beat y'all but we'll see.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Gray and I get in more hot water with a lot of folks here actually having the gall - when we assess it as such - to say, "Auburn has a decent/good/whatever team" in opposition to the quite often, "They're gonna go 5-7 this year!"

But yeah, this should be an "interesting" year for you guys. I EXPECT us to beat y'all but we'll see.
Just way too many unknowns at key positions for me to be comfortable going into this one. Could be great, could bomb. Part of life rooting for AU, I suppose.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Cracks me up that some here cannot admit that AU has good teams most years. Lotsa talent and sometimes they're really good. It doesn't mean Bama is bad, but sometimes they're better.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Cracks me up that some here cannot admit that AU has good teams most years. Lotsa talent and sometimes they're really good. It doesn't mean Bama is bad, but sometimes they're better.
Exactly.

As I've said before, the only time I've been BAD wrong on them was 2012, because I never thought they were a 3-9 team that year. And as I've also said - I don't think they were "really" an 11-2 team in 2013. They did sort of like the 1988-89 LA Dodgers in baseball or - more probably - the 1987-88 Minnesota Twins.

The 1987 Twins got lucky break after lucky break and despite winning only 85 games in the regular season, they won the whole sh-bang.
The 1988 Twins were a better team, a record of 91-71....and they finished 13 games behind the division winner.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep. I just think that they're gonna start the season a bit disjointed on offense but they'll find a groove eventually. They ought to have enough of a defense to weather the growing pains but I kinda think they drop 3 games to 3 great teams.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yep. I just think that they're gonna start the season a bit disjointed on offense but they'll find a groove eventually. They ought to have enough of a defense to weather the growing pains but I kinda think they drop 3 games to 3 great teams.
I expect that by game 12 they'll be ready to give Bama fits. Lots of talent all over the field, and while I expect Bama will win (as of right now), people who sleep on AU are whistling past the graveyard. They pretty much hammered both UGA and Bama last year in the regular season...

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As I said - and I'm going off past experience here - I think they drop one to a team they have no business losing the game. It's almost as much an Auburn tradition as rolling the trees. I know that sounds harsh as they have had a few unbeaten seasons, but more often than not they lose a game where you're like, "HOW did they lose THAT one?"

I know we like to joke about the JHS voodoo where they WIN games they seemingly should lose, but as I'm a firm believer in equilibrium, they lose just as many games as they should have in the bag, too.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I expect that by game 12 they'll be ready to give Bama fits. Lots of talent all over the field, and while I expect Bama will win (as of right now), people who sleep on AU are whistling past the graveyard. They pretty much hammered both UGA and Bama last year in the regular season...
I agree with this. While it may not go down as an all-time classic - again, at this point - it really wouldn't surprise me if they had a lead at the half.

(Everyone get off the ledge).

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Miller, Lewis, Jennings and Moses are also DPOY type players.
Agreed. If the end of the season is any indication Deionte Thompson is going to make some noise as well. Plus I'm excited to see how quickly Surtain can contribute. It will be fun to see who really shows out this year. Its going to be a really fun defense to watch grow IMO. A ton of talent and a lot of guys who have had some playing time finally stepping in to big rolls (assuming they all stay healthy this time).

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As I said - and I'm going off past experience here - I think they drop one to a team they have no business losing the game. It's almost as much an Auburn tradition as rolling the trees. I know that sounds harsh as they have had a few unbeaten seasons, but more often than not they lose a game where you're like, "HOW did they lose THAT one?"

I know we like to joke about the JHS voodoo where they WIN games they seemingly should lose, but as I'm a firm believer in equilibrium, they lose just as many games as they should have in the bag, too.
LSU last year is a proof for your point here. They had no business losing that game much less with a 20-0 lead after 15 minutes.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Auburn just does not have a great history of sustained success.

1997-they win the west and come within an inch of winning the sec title
1998- They fire terry Bowden halfway through the season
2004- the go 13-0 and win the sec title
2005- they drop their opener to Georgia tech and end up going 9-3.
2006- they have a great year 11-2 (for there standards) and barely miss the sec title game.
2007- they drop down to 9-4 after starting the year 0-2.
2010- they win the national title. 14-0
2011 and 2012- they go 8-5 and 3-9 respectively and then fire there coach.
2013- 12-2 sec champions
2014-2016. 8-5, 7-6, 8-5

I am not saying they can't break the trend. Its just that history usually show they tank after having big seasons (by their standards).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If you gambled on Auburn year in a year out, it would be a safe bet to say they'll finish somewhere between 7-5 to 9-3 almost every year. Sometimes a little better or worse but that's their wheelhouse.

Most programs would be happy with that. But when you are trying to keep pace with Big Brother it probably stinks.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
LSU last year is a proof for your point here. They had no business losing that game much less with a 20-0 lead after 15 minutes.
That's the most recent. As I noted earlier, 2016 (both Vandy that they won and UGA they lost) as well.

I think a Tide fan who somehow had a lobotomy and became an Auburn fan would have some serious trouble not losing his mind due to the frustration.

And this is nothing new, either. Pat Dye had the same problem, although he was an excellent coach and got better results.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.